Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,440,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
Never really understood why walmart is so hated. So they're non-union..who cares so is 70% of companies in this country. Great place to shop with by far the best prices. As for Countrywide, never dealt with them but I think Comcast should have won that award. Worst customer service on earth with many hidden fees that even their own customer service supervisors can't properly explain.
AGREED AND AGREED! I hate comcast, worst customer service ever! but this seem to be all across the board in the cable industry, not just comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM

345 posts, read 468,187 times
I lived in the town of Calabasas, CA which was/is the headquarters of Countrywide. I don't know much about Countrywide (although I did a few catered parties at the headquarters) to add anything useful, but I can say that Calabasas was a great place to live (if you can afford it). Hidden Hills was even better.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
The reason WalMart has a bad rep. is that when they open in an area, all the local 'mom 'n pop' businesses can't compete pricewise and are forced to close. Then, mom 'n pop have to go to work for WalMart and make less than if they were self employed.
I'm not WalMart bashing, just explaining why it is when a locality votes to allow them to build (tax revenue), in the long run, the business enviroment usually suffers.
Yeah I understand that and Im not pro or con Walmart but generally speaking, Walmart's, Costco's Sam's are quickly becoming a necessities of today's society in the world that we live in....Walmart's shouldn't be hated by those mom's and pop's cuz they keep the prices of goods and services down...really hate should be directed the Government who has a bigger say than the Walmart's of the world. Walmart's are simply taking advantage of the system that has been laid out. If you're mad at Walmart cuz they're taking business away from mom's pop's, you're mad at the wrong entity!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
I lived in the town of Calabasas, CA which was/is the headquarters of Countrywide. I don't know much about Countrywide (although I did a few catered parties at the headquarters) to add anything useful, but I can say that Calabasas was a great place to live (if you can afford it). Hidden Hills was even better.
It must be....I know them's corporate exec's don't like to live in ghettos and are certain that they thoroughly enjoy/ed their stay there!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM

228 posts, read 594,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I have to agree as Unions is on 4th place on my list of 'Biggest Mafia Organization in the US' list. Unions seem to exist mainly in the East Coast (thank god for that!). We were at one of the company office in the East Coast on a special project converting Windows 2000 systems to XP and the equipment had to be left alone, we couldn't even plug in a simple monitor power cord in to the wall outlet because by law, Union workers had to come and do it....what a dumb law, dumb logic. So waste of time and money. It might have started out as a nobel idea but nwadays, it promotes laziness and just one more thing companies have to waste money on.

I am not crazy about Wal-Mart but they do offer some of the best prices if quality it not of highest priority.
A little factoid: unions, as a group, happen to be the single biggest monetary contributor to the Democratic party. The second largest: trial lawyers. For those reasons, I will never vote Democratic. Ever.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
A little factoid: unions, as a group, happen to be the single biggest monetary contributor to the Democratic party. The second largest: trial lawyers. For those reasons, I will never vote Democratic. Ever.
see mayor of chicago richard M. daley....

Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM

54 posts, read 122,666 times
I work for Countrywide... although I was never and am currently not a loan consultant. I have nothing to do with the naughty loans!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,426,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I love Wal-Mart. When I can't wait for shipping, I get my cheap ammo there. Countrywide was good to me too when I had a loan with them.
I purchased homes using Countrywide twice. The first time I was extremely happy with the service I received which is why I used them a second time. The second time was good for about the first 3 years and then I got rid of them. Their customer service became unbearable and the wait times just to get someone to pick up the phone was the deciding factor in my dumping them.

So long big box mortgage company . . .

Comcast: sucks, sucks sucks worse even worse than Countrywide every did.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,364,934 times
I guess it has happened before, but I've never lived anyplace where a new Wal-Mart put mom and pop stores out of business. In fact, I've never seen a Wal-Mart built anywhere near and mom and pop businesses. They usually end up in some newly developed area where a bunch of new houses are going up. That does not put mom and pop stores out of business. I've never bothered to drive all the way to Wal-Mart for something I could buy closer to home. Just so happens now that I live equidistant from the Wal-Marts in Anthem and Happey Valley. But when I lived in VA, it was a bit of a hike to go to a Wal-Mart. Online businesses are far more responsible for putting small shops out of business than Wal-Mart is. I can find just about everything Wal-Mart sells online for less money, even with shipping charges.

Either way, it's not Wal-Mart's fault that we live in a capitalist system or that other less efficient businesses can't compete with them. We don't bash car makers for putting stage coach makers out of business, do we? Why should Wal-Mart not try to beat their competitors with a better mousetrap and/or lower prices?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,362,191 times
We don't bash car makers for putting stage coach makers out of business, do we?

You're right!

Actually, we don't seem to bash the car makers enough for just about any of their doings. We should be bashing 'em just a bit more for being ignorant enough to allow themselves to cause us to be so independent on oil.

In fact, we probably need to bring the stage coach makers back, because right now I believe they had the better idea!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area