Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times

Advertisements

My daughter tried going to the Scottsdale bars and only went twice. It is a zoo. She has made friends through Match.com and work. It is not easy here in spite of it being such a big city. I would avoid the bars and best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM

37 posts, read 129,443 times
Hey! I'm 26 and in Tempe!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My daughter tried going to the Scottsdale bars and only went twice. It is a zoo. She has made friends through Match.com and work. It is not easy here in spite of it being such a big city. I would avoid the bars and best of luck to you.

Did she look into EHarmony.com? I hear it advertised a lot. I think it is more conservative, so I don't know if your daughter would be up for that. Anyway, the reason I bring it up is I heard that 2.5% of all people being married in this country met on EHarmony. I can't believe it, but I heard it on a not so conservative radio station...think it was an AP story. Those are some good numbers!

Oh, well. I'm a big fan of marriage, so it stuck in my mind.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Find a person who feels and thinks alike but I agree, meeting someone who is sound and stable in their 20s will be a challenge regardless.
You will have to network like others mentioned, join a social club that shares your interest and if you run into a lady while doing something you like, then you know you share something in common and that is a very good starting point (common interest).

Good luck!

I could see that, seeing that my girlfriend is 30 and im 26.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I could see that, seeing that my girlfriend is 30 and im 26.
cougar much?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

219 posts, read 779,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I hate to tell you this, but while the fact that it's summer is a factor, it's not just that. The problem is that Phoenix - unlike most big cities - just has very few "hang out" places like bars, Central Park, Millenium Park, the lakefront, etc. in, say, New York or Chicago. The new civic park downtown and the light rail's development may help some of that, as will Scottsdale and Tempe's development downtown, but it's still spotty.

Tempe and Scottsdale do have more 20 somethings around, particularly as winter approaches, but it still doesn't have that social atmosphere of New York or Chicago (worse, a lot of the 20somethings tend to move *from* Phoenix *to* New York and Chicago, have fun, get married, then move back in their 30's, when it doesn't help you very much.)

That said, you might google the Meetup groups in Phoenix - those are popular among young adults, join a sports club or church/synagogue, go to First Fridays in Downtown Phoenix, the social events sponsored by the Art Museum, and join Ignite Phoenix, which is a cooperative of young adults trying to make Phoenix more urban and livable (if you google them, their site will come up. They're a fun group.)
Thanks I'll try the meet up groups. I have pretty varied interests, I'm an avid sports fan but don't really play any sports, other than weightlifting, in which I joined a gym. I enjoy spending time by the pool, but since my apartment already has a pool I wouldn't have a need to go other pools. That Meetup thing and Ignite Phoenix also sound appealing, although I'm not into the matchmaking type of websites.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 PM

228 posts, read 594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
I moved out here to Tempe only knowing one person, and really have not came across too many other people in their young 20s. I'm talking young professionals and grad student age. I've met a few people at my apartment, and a few at my job, but I would think Tempe and Scottsdale would be swarming with young adults. This isn't the type of area where you can just walk outside and meet people, but if anybody else has suggestions let me know. I've found it very difficult to meet people here so far. Perhaps, it is because it is the summer, or that is what I like to keep telling myself.
Best way to meet young single professionals: move back to New York. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM

21 posts, read 79,024 times
I think that's a little unfair to say 'move back to New York'. Having grown up in Phoenix and moved to New York as an adult, I can say definitively you can meet people and make friends equally well in both cities.

I'm guessing by the fact you're asking here that you're not up for approaching people in either a coffee shop or bar, which is fine. There are a lot of things you can do that will put you in contact with lots of people, though. First, I'd join a professional organization for whatever industry you're in. You'll meet tons of people that way. Next I'd volunteer somewhere -- another great way to meet people. Then I'd try to join at least one club. If you look on craigslist you'll probably find plenty of ads for book clubs, sports clubs, stock clubs, whatever floats your boat. Here's a link:

phoenix groups classifieds - craigslist

These are just the first three things that popped into my head -- let me know if you'd like some additional suggestions, or help finding a group / volunteer opportunity / club.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Believer View Post
I think that's a little unfair to say 'move back to New York'. Having grown up in Phoenix and moved to New York as an adult, I can say definitively you can meet people and make friends equally well in both cities.

I'm guessing by the fact you're asking here that you're not up for approaching people in either a coffee shop or bar, which is fine. There are a lot of things you can do that will put you in contact with lots of people, though. First, I'd join a professional organization for whatever industry you're in. You'll meet tons of people that way. Next I'd volunteer somewhere -- another great way to meet people. Then I'd try to join at least one club. If you look on craigslist you'll probably find plenty of ads for book clubs, sports clubs, stock clubs, whatever floats your boat. Here's a link:

phoenix groups classifieds - craigslist

These are just the first three things that popped into my head -- let me know if you'd like some additional suggestions, or help finding a group / volunteer opportunity / club.
how about shopping malls? Fashion square?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM

214 posts, read 961,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
how about shopping malls? Fashion square?

The shopping malls are nice, but you aren't going to meet people there normally. People are there to shop, not to meet new people.

Plus is Scottsdale...people are more into themselves than anyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area