Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,976,990 times

Advertisements

Here is an article about this year's monsoon season...

As of yesterday, we were officially at 2.78", which was just barely more then the average of 2.77". However, after tonight, it looks like we will be at least to 3.53", which would be the wettest monsoon season of this decade.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/images/photos/2008/08/07/k5svit0e.gif (broken link)

Wet monsoon season? It’s difficult to tell | State News | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122579 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 AM

219 posts, read 780,785 times
Well keep in mind there is plenty of time left in this monsoon season, which goes until mid September, and thunderstorms are forecast the next several days, which can really raise this total and make it a very rainy monsoon. I noticed these storms almost always occur around 7-9 PM, is this always the case?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,976,990 times
Yea, it's usually in the evening hours. I think it has to do with the temps dropping slightly after the sun goes down...it's just the right mix of moisture and temperatures.

And I agree...it should be a great monsoon season by the time it's all said and done. I mean we're at 3.61" as of right now...there is still rain out there tonight, and another storm is predicted for tomorrow evening. We could really see 4.5 - 5.0+ inches of rain this summer, which would be great!

I wonder how we're doing with total rainfall for the year?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 AM

919 posts, read 3,403,280 times
It was a pretty decent storm but they can get much nastier.

3 years ago we have a pretty bad storm tearing through the PHX area but my neighborhood got hit with a micro (or macro) burst, which is a severe downdraft within the storm. We had crazy tornado-like winds that basically tore up a 2 mile square area.

You could actually walk it the next day and follow a specific path of destruction. I knew it was bad when the veteran power company managers were calling everyone they knew, telling them to come over check out what the winds did to their lines (even the big metal towers). I like the monsoon storms, but no more burts for me, thanks!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,219,412 times
I heard the winds last night and saw a little lightning. I didnt actually see or hear it rain, tho it must have rained as the concrete on my patio is a little damp. I dont think it was that bad tho here-I am near Kierland. But wow----it is under 80' right now which means it was probably a little cooler than that last night! ;-)

Tho if I had to take my choice for high winds, I would much rather do it at over 100' with rain than when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and the temperature with windchill gets into the double digit sub-zero range....

Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,103,178 times
10 years ago the storms occured at around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. It seems strange for me to see them at night only this last couple of years. I guess it might be the "heat island" effect. I miss watching them come in, now they are just like a surprise. The weather has really changed hear, not nearly as many dust storms before the thunderstorms either. Strange???

Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,217,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
10 years ago the storms occured at around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. It seems strange for me to see them at night only this last couple of years. I guess it might be the "heat island" effect. I miss watching them come in, now they are just like a surprise. The weather has really changed hear, not nearly as many dust storms before the thunderstorms either. Strange???
I suspect Heat Island as well............I, too have been in the Phx area during the 1990's and remember the storms coming earlier as well.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,103,178 times
Most people who live here are from somewhere else and seem really friendly to me. I have my complants about AZ too but neighbors aren't one of them. I get together with my neighbors a lot. I agree on the boring seasons, but thats what we have thats different, houses being brown and beige are just practicle because of all the dirt, which I do hate all the dirt but I can see the need for brown. I do agree that it is hard to get out of here because of the low cost of living. Most places you want to go cost more so it's a harder transition than moving here from the opposite but hopefully that will change one day.
This is one of those places that you either hate or love. It's like a decorated moon with housing. lol I know I need a change, but it's more personal than state related. Good luck to ya. Hope you find your balance somewhere.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM

837 posts, read 2,341,106 times
I watched that storm roll in from my 20th floor condo. Had a great view. It was awesome seeing something like that in PHX, reminded me of back home in the midwest!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 AM

123 posts, read 489,272 times
Here is South Gilbert, we caught just the edge of the storms last night with about .13" of rain. We had some light winds and a lot of lightning.

Two weekends ago on a Saturday night, we had a microburst that knocked down a bunch of trees in our neighborhood including about 50% of the trees in the median on Higley Road between Queen Creek and Ocotillo.

I lost both trees in my front yard due to that storm too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area