Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
That's your problem. You need to drive with the flow of traffic. Highway traffic can reach 90 MPH+ in the fast lane around Philly. The dangerous drivers are the ones who get in that lane and drive 5 mph under the limit.

Are you afraid or just trying to be a thorn in peoples sides making them go around you? If it's fear stay out of the fast lane! If you are being a jerk and going slower than the rest of the cars purposefully you deserve the treatment you are recieving from other drivers.
Excuse me, but there are speed limits for a reason. Lives are saved by adhering to speed limits. I NEVER drive in the fast lane for fear I'll be killed by some moron who does not take the speed limit into account. No, I stay in the right lane wherever possible. There were a thousand highway deaths in Phoenix last year and, most likely, is was due to all the morons who drive like idiots here. And how on earth am I the jerk for going along with the speed limits, even if everyone else isn't? They are breaking the law and are the jerks - not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM

71 posts, read 211,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ho hum. Another gripe about bad drivers. What is it this time? Maybe you can be more specific about the "morons and idiots". Are they too fast, too slow, too inattentive, or what? Horrible driving habits exist everywhere ... not just here. Have you ever driven in parts of Florida? How about in southern California? Those places are far worse than Phoenix in many different ways.
The drivers here are not too fast at all (too many damn cops - which is good) I have lived in many different parts of the country and driven in many states and many different cities and this one by far tops it for no courtesy when cutting in front of you (into your Lane). I've named it 'the electric slide'. It's not a gradual lane change. There is NO warning. I always think no vehicles from this area came equipped with a turning signal or they are just broken. And how close those drivers come to you....wow, is all I can say. Isn't the insurance here the highest almost everywhere due to the drivers and the illegials that carry no insurance?

Okay, I have to ask how are southern California drivers worse than here? (other than speeding). I'm from San Diego and NEVER experienced drivers like I have here. SD and LA are NOT the same as far as driving goes, but SD is Southern CA.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
I've noticed from talking to a lot of people that the drivers here are very angry. If your not as fast or you make a lane change to slow they almost try to kill you for it. Following you too close or driving by you and yelling at you. Every once in awhile they will take out a gun and wave it at you, sometimes shoot at you. My god, what are they thinking? It's like they have a chip on their shoulders or something!
I avoid the freeway as much as possible because I am always worried about making a mistake on there that might cost me my life because someone will try and run me off the road for it.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginSDagain View Post
The drivers here are not too fast at all (too many damn cops - which is good) I have lived in many different parts of the country and driven in many states and many different cities and this one by far tops it for no courtesy when cutting in front of you (into your Lane). I've named it 'the electric slide'. It's not a gradual lane change. There is NO warning. I always think no vehicles from this area came equipped with a turning signal or they are just broken. And how close those drivers come to you....wow, is all I can say. Isn't the insurance here the highest almost everywhere due to the drivers and the illegials that carry no insurance?

Okay, I have to ask how are southern California drivers worse than here? (other than speeding). I'm from San Diego and NEVER experienced drivers like I have here. SD and LA are NOT the same as far as driving goes, but SD is Southern CA.
While I agree with most of your points, I just don't see that we have that many cops to control the problems. I hardly ever see cops. Where do you live and drive that you see a lot of them? Just curious. Usually, the only areas where I will see them the most will be in the bad areas.

My BF calls this place the wild west due to people doing whatever they want. He's from Wheaton, IL where they have (or at least used to when he lived there) lots of cops and you couldn't get away with much of anything.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, I have driven in SoCal as I used to live there. The drivers are much better there. The morons weave in and out of lanes and don't even use turn signals. They also do not adhere to the speed limit. When I lived in the SF Bay Area I didn't fear for my life as I do here, and I was comfortable driving 70 or 75. Here I keep it to 60 and maintain my distance. I cannot tell you how many times I see someone coming at me from behind at high speeds only to veer to the right or left of me, and they come very close to hitting me in the process.

Agreed. I worked in Los Angeles for three years while maintaining a Phoenix apartment a few years ago and drove on the LA freeways a few times. The drivers there are much better than Phoenix drivers. Also lived in Tucson. Tucson drivers are just as bad as Phoenix drivers. I never encountered more rude motorists in my life than when I moved to Arizona in 1996.

Rude: Trying to merge at the last moment into a packed lane when obviously it could have been done earlier
Rude: Refusing to use a turn signal - actually the turn signal is a way of warning others what you intend to do so they could avoid you.
Rude: Cutting you off.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginSDagain View Post

I've driven in the L.A. and San Diego areas many times. I usually drive pretty fast on the freeways ... but the last time I was in San Diego, I was cut off left & right, even when I was driving 10 MPH over the limit. People complain about how fast the drivers are here ... but I've experienced much more excessive speeding & impatience in L.A. & San Diego than here.

At least most California drivers know that the left lanes are for faster traffic, and slower drivers generally keep to the right. In Phoenix, there are slowpokes all over the center & left lanes. Regardless of what the speed limit is, there is an Arizona law that mandates slower traffic must stay in the right lane. There are too many people who break that law ... and the cops should really go after those who impede the flow of traffic.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
CG4

20 posts, read 70,243 times
The drivers aren't any worse here than any other place on a day-to-day basis. Yes, its true that drivers here are worse when it rains, etc...but on a day-to-day basis, I feel very safe on the freeways unless its a construction zone.

FWIW...the most unsafe I've ever felt is going 87 mph in the slow lane (read: flow of traffic) west of Palm Springs, CA (Banning, Cabazon) for 35 miles.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG4 View Post
The drivers aren't any worse here than any other place on a day-to-day basis. Yes, its true that drivers here are worse when it rains, etc...but on a day-to-day basis, I feel very safe on the freeways unless its a construction zone.

FWIW...the most unsafe I've ever felt is going 87 mph in the slow lane (read: flow of traffic) west of Palm Springs, CA (Banning, Cabazon) for 35 miles.
Apparently, this is a subjective topic as there are those who agree and those who don't.

I stick by my opinion. As a phx native, I believe the driving has been going down hill for years in Phx. I don't have near as many problems when I drive in a different city. I've also heard truck drivers who travel the country say that there's a big difference once they hit Phx.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,808 times
I have to agree, when I lived in Phoenix I felt the drivers were horrible. However, I don't think it's something to be blamed on Phoenix or Arizona in general. I always felt a large part of it was because you have so many people that move to the valley from different places. And so in Phoenix more so than a lot of other cities you have several different driving styles all in one.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I have to agree, when I lived in Phoenix I felt the drivers were horrible. However, I don't think it's something to be blamed on Phoenix or Arizona in general. I always felt a large part of it was because you have so many people that move to the valley from different places. And so in Phoenix more so than a lot of other cities you have several different driving styles all in one.

Excellent thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area