Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I have to agree, when I lived in Phoenix I felt the drivers were horrible. However, I don't think it's something to be blamed on Phoenix or Arizona in general. I always felt a large part of it was because you have so many people that move to the valley from different places. And so in Phoenix more so than a lot of other cities you have several different driving styles all in one.
I agree completely. Luckily, I live downtown so when I drive I have a 1.5 minute commute. But when on the freeway I noticed many different driving styles that conflict with each other. I assume some are California drivers, mid-west drivers, east coast drivers, and the AZ/Phx natives (the minority) who all try and drive the way they used to where they once lived. Old habits are hard to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 04:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
But when on the freeway I noticed many different driving styles that conflict with each other. I assume some are California drivers, mid-west drivers, east coast drivers, and the AZ/Phx natives (the minority) who all try and drive the way they used to where they once lived. Old habits are hard to break.
BINGO! Both you and j760 are right on. We are all just conflicting with each other, so we need to stop that. LOL Stop now, I say!

You should see me try and stop my Phx ways in upstate NY. (this is not a city or town I compare Phx with - don't worry). If I drove there like I do here I would be pulled over and booked in a NY minute! They are some of the most laidback and courteous drivers I've ever seen. Get this, they actually change lanes to the left when you are pulling on the freeway to give you plenty of room. I think I've seen that a couple of times here.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Well, given all of these different driving styles, I think people should leave 15 minutes earlier and adhere to the speed limit. It does save lives.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've driven in the L.A. and San Diego areas many times. I usually drive pretty fast on the freeways ... but the last time I was in San Diego, I was cut off left & right, even when I was driving 10 MPH over the limit. People complain about how fast the drivers are here ... but I've experienced much more excessive speeding & impatience in L.A. & San Diego than here.

At least most California drivers know that the left lanes are for faster traffic, and slower drivers generally keep to the right. In Phoenix, there are slowpokes all over the center & left lanes. Regardless of what the speed limit is, there is an Arizona law that mandates slower traffic must stay in the right lane. There are too many people who break that law ... and the cops should really go after those who impede the flow of traffic.
And cops should really arrest those who go over the legal and mandated speed limit, irrespective of what you might think. I always keep to the right, so I am not one of those people you speak of. However, you sound like a law breaker and I think you should get arrested or at least a bunch of tickets so you get the concept of a speed limit.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I have to agree, when I lived in Phoenix I felt the drivers were horrible. However, I don't think it's something to be blamed on Phoenix or Arizona in general. I always felt a large part of it was because you have so many people that move to the valley from different places. And so in Phoenix more so than a lot of other cities you have several different driving styles all in one.
True. I've driven in every major city east of the Mississippi and a few west and Phoenix is about average. People need to adapt to the way traffic moves and to the expected courtesies or lack there of. I am a fairly aggressive driver. I will move right along with the fastest traffic and if someone tries pushing I'll go faster or get out of the way. My biggest gripe is those who insist that they will go slower no matter what conditions are and those who can't grasp the concept of merging (use your signal and get up to speed in the merge lane). If we all kept pace and showed a minimal amount of courtesy there'd be far less road rage incidents.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
True. I've driven in every major city east of the Mississippi and a few west and Phoenix is about average. People need to adapt to the way traffic moves and to the expected courtesies or lack there of. I am a fairly aggressive driver. I will move right along with the fastest traffic and if someone tries pushing I'll go faster or get out of the way. My biggest gripe is those who insist that they will go slower no matter what conditions are and those who can't grasp the concept of merging (use your signal and get up to speed in the merge lane). If we all kept pace and showed a minimal amount of courtesy there'd be far less road rage incidents.
Yes, and I do hope you appreciate the concept of a speed limit, which is there for a reason.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM

71 posts, read 211,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
While I agree with most of your points, I just don't see that we have that many cops to control the problems. I hardly ever see cops. Where do you live and drive that you see a lot of them? Just curious. Usually, the only areas where I will see them the most will be in the bad areas.

My BF calls this place the wild west due to people doing whatever they want. He's from Wheaton, IL where they have (or at least used to when he lived there) lots of cops and you couldn't get away with much of anything.

OMG, I have NEVER seen so many cops. BOth my husband and I have been floored by it. I live in Vistancia and I drive up and down the 101 everyday. They mostly are up here....not a bad area at all.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM

71 posts, read 211,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've driven in the L.A. and San Diego areas many times. I usually drive pretty fast on the freeways ... but the last time I was in San Diego, I was cut off left & right, even when I was driving 10 MPH over the limit. People complain about how fast the drivers are here ... but I've experienced much more excessive speeding & impatience in L.A. & San Diego than here.

At least most California drivers know that the left lanes are for faster traffic, and slower drivers generally keep to the right. In Phoenix, there are slowpokes all over the center & left lanes. Regardless of what the speed limit is, there is an Arizona law that mandates slower traffic must stay in the right lane. There are too many people who break that law ... and the cops should really go after those who impede the flow of traffic.
Yep, that would be us So. Californians going way over 10 MPH over the speed limit. But, if your in the right lane your fine in San Diego. I don't complain about fast drivers here at all, just rude ass drivers that cut you off left and right and don't leave any room OR think to even signal. HELLLLLLLLLOOOOO. Thus proven FACT there are MORE accidents here.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, and I do hope you appreciate the concept of a speed limit, which is there for a reason.
I like to tell my wife speed limits are for bad drivers. In thirty years of driving I've only lightly damaged two cars. Both were sliding on ice doing about 5-10 mph. 10 mph over the limit is quite safe and common, and depending on conditions 15-20. Of course you risk getting ticketed but I've only had two which I was able to get reduced so I didn't get points on my license. I have to say there are very, very few drivers who actually drive 55 mph where it is the limit. Do you?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
10 mph over the limit is quite safe and common, and depending on conditions 15-20.
Going 15-20 MPH over the speed limit on any Valley freeway is dangerous no matter what the weather. It is much easier to lose control of a vehicle when traveling fast. Some of the wildest accidents I have seen have been on the I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson with people driving so fast.

Sure, I think there should be some leeway to allow people to go 5 or 7 MPH over the speed limit. However, when our speed limit is already 75 on many freeways, the thought of needing to go as fast as 95 MPH seems unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area