Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM

67 posts, read 212,823 times

Advertisements

.... how can you actually pay 118 per 6 months in AZ? i pay 120 monthly at first it was 180 when i was in freshman high school now i'm 20 freshman/soph in college.

so ridiculous.

JW, does insurance varies on what car you have in AZ? I rmember being in ohio, insurance stayed the same, same with taxes. all stayed the same, didnt matter if you bought a porchie or a buick. up here in maine.... HOLY ****! a 2 door mazda or a mustang, my insurance would be through the roof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvet4dog View Post
.... how can you actually pay 118 per 6 months in AZ? i pay 120 monthly at first it was 180 when i was in freshman high school now i'm 20 freshman/soph in college.

so ridiculous.

JW, does insurance varies on what car you have in AZ? I rmember being in ohio, insurance stayed the same, same with taxes. all stayed the same, didnt matter if you bought a porchie or a buick. up here in maine.... HOLY ****! a 2 door mazda or a mustang, my insurance would be through the roof!
LOL, oops, your right, looking at the wrong section, I pay $462.14 every six months for insurance on my vehicle. $77.02/month or $154.04/bi-monthly. $120.00 is my homeowners policy; $20/month. And yes the kind of car you have impacts your premium, but to a greater extent your driving record, accident history, prior claims on other insurance coverage and sometimes credit background impact what you will pay. I've had USAA since I was 16 and have not filed a claim for an accident and my car isn't old or domestic.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
We have a absolute speed limit on all highways in AZ, it's only presumed on surface streets. When you are charged with exceeding a "presumed" speed limit, you are alleged to have driven at an unsafe speed. A presumed speed limit takes into account the conditions at the time you were ticketed. You may have a good chance of prevailing if you can prove that you were only slightly over the speed limit and the road conditions (e.g., weather, traffic) were good.
That's not an absolute speed limit. On highways, you are usually allowed to go 10 MPH over before an officer pulls you over. And even then, the cop may or may not issue a citation. It depends a lot on how dense the traffic is at the time, and even road & weather conditions can play a part in it. Case in point: I was pulled over for doing 12 MPH over one time, but I wasn't cited. If you are excessively speeding to the point where it's a hazard to other drivers, you will likely be pulled over & cited ... even arrested if the speed is highly excessive. The officer makes that determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
The reason people from out of state notice our driving is because they have fresh comparison, natives like us are simple use to this and therefore don't have an issue because we are not provided with an alternative. We compare ok to large cities but not to smaller cities and a lot of people here are from smaller cities. Not to mention people still presume we are a small city when we are not. We are large, have crappy traffic and pollution like the rest of them.
That's what irritates me the most about a lot of transplants. They move here and start dictating how THEY think things should be. They're so arrogant, yet whiney in their constant complaints about how people drive. You're right that many came from smaller cities ... but Phoenix can't compare to a smaller location because it's a large metro area. They either need to go with the flow, or quit their bitchin'. Or better yet, if they dislike it here so much, Delta is ready when they are!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's not an absolute speed limit. On highways, you are usually allowed to go 10 MPH over before an officer pulls you over. And even then, the cop may or may not issue a citation. It depends a lot on how dense the traffic is at the time, and even road & weather conditions can play a part in it. Case in point: I was pulled over for doing 12 MPH over one time, but I wasn't cited. If you are excessively speeding to the point where it's a hazard to other drivers, you will likely be pulled over & cited ... even arrested if the speed is highly excessive. The officer makes that determination.

That's what irritates me the most about a lot of transplants. They move here and start dictating how THEY think things should be. They're so arrogant, yet whiney in their constant complaints about how people drive. You're right that many came from smaller cities ... but Phoenix can't compare to a smaller location because it's a large metro area. They either need to go with the flow, or quit their bitchin'. Or better yet, if they dislike it here so much, Delta is ready when they are!
Ha ha, ok, ok Valley, you can be irritated thats your right. I get irritated by some crap too but you might want to check the highway absolute, I'm pretty sure they can nab ya for a mile over if they want to, they might not waste their time but if they want to they can.

Like I said before, what gets me is the 18 wheelers with out truck routes here. The roll overs and trying to turn on crowded narrow city streets during rush hour drives me bonkers. There cool looking but they are going to win. To dangerous for city driving.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
"All slow traffic.......Stay to the right!"
Bingo!! We got a winner.

As for the impaired driver. I'm sure there are still a lot but we do have the toughest laws and it is starting to make a difference.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Going 15-20 MPH over the speed limit on any Valley freeway is dangerous no matter what the weather. It is much easier to lose control of a vehicle when traveling fast. Some of the wildest accidents I have seen have been on the I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson with people driving so fast.

Sure, I think there should be some leeway to allow people to go 5 or 7 MPH over the speed limit. However, when our speed limit is already 75 on many freeways, the thought of needing to go as fast as 95 MPH seems unnecessary.
Well, in Europe, they have the Autobon with no speed limits. In fact, the slow drivers are the ones that cause all of the accidents because they are driving in the wrong lane (left lane) at or around 60 miles per hour. Generally, they find that it is some stupid American driving down the left lane, instead of wacthing what is happening and who is coming up on them at high speed.

But, for some reason, we have those "Drive the Speed Limit" drivers that stay in the left lane because they are trying to slow the traffic down to observe the speed limit just like them.

They are the "Do gooders" that want to control the follow of the traffic and be the policeman all at the same time.

However, he's a suprise. I have a friend that was a "Do gooder" and got pulled over by a state cop and was given a $150.00 ticket for driving the speed limit in the left lane, while he was driving to Tucson.

The highway patrolman told him that it was not his job to control the traffic flow, just because he wanted everyone to follow the speed limit just like him. The patrolman said, that if he would have been in the right lane like he should be, then he would have been able to give a $500.00 ticket to the guy that's doing a 100...get it!

So all of you "Do gooders" just stay in the right lane. Oh, that's the lane to the right of the left lane!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM

124 posts, read 509,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Well, in Europe, they have the Autobon with no speed limits. In fact, the slow drivers are the ones that cause all of the accidents because they are driving in the wrong lane (left lane) at or around 60 miles per hour.
I would like to see the statistics that state "the slow drivers are the ones that cause all of the accidents because they are driving in the wrong lane (left lane) at or around 60 miles per hour. ". I do not want to point fingers but this seems like maybe a tiny generalization.

The AUTOBAHN is in Germany, as far as I am aware this is the only country in mainland Europe that has an interstate system that has no speed limit in parts. It is not unrestricted completely, you drive in and out of different speed limit zones.

The reason that the unrestricted speed limit works well in Germany is that it is illegal to undertake. If people move out of the right hand lane to overtake, they can then move straight back over after they have passed the vehicle. I find this is not the case in the US, before you can return to your original lane you have some chump speeding up your inside, effectively leaving you to block the road!! It is sometimes very difficult to get back into the right hand lane.

The whole drive with the flow of traffic is BS, if people did not break the law we would all be driving with the flow of traffic! I still find it amazing that people need to tell me how much over the speed limit I should be driving. If you want to break the law or have a crash please do it without involving me. When I get pulled over for speeding I am sure the police officer would take into consideration...I was just going with the flow of traffic!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
The whole drive with the flow of traffic is BS, if people did not break the law we would all be driving with the flow of traffic! I still find it amazing that people need to tell me how much over the speed limit I should be driving. If you want to break the law or have a crash please do it without involving me. When I get pulled over for speeding I am sure the police officer would take into consideration...I was just going with the flow of traffic!!!

Good post! I refuse to bow to traffic peer pressure either! If the NASCAR wannabe's need to go speeding through life, let them, and I'd love to pass by when they're receiving their ticket!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,264 times
Default bad drivers aren't az natives!

One of the worst drivers I last encountered was from California. Still had the tags on is Escalade. This moron was driving about 60 down a residential street that was only 40mph. He would pass people in the center turning lane and almost side swiped me and another car in front of me. When we got beside him at a light we asked what the hell his problem was and he said nobody here knew how to drive and told us to learn to drive. Also said we should leave Arizona to learn! I was so baffled! Amazing thing is that my husband is from Mississippi and is a truck driver! Traffic used to be so much better.. Just the past 5 years it has gotten rediculous. I wish everyone would just go back to where they came from!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post

Good post! I refuse to bow to traffic peer pressure either! If the NASCAR wannabe's need to go speeding through life, let them, and I'd love to pass by when they're receiving their ticket!

Fine. Just stay in the right lane where you belong. No one is forcing you to drive above the limit. We are aware that some people are not good drivers, have slow reflexes or are scared to death of highway driving. Most of us aren't and are capable of judging for ourselves what speed is safe. In fact many of us speeders are quite good drivers with exceptional situational awareness. There are hundreds of instances when I've taken defensive or evasive measures that prevented me from being hit or involved in an accident. Slower drivers mostly just want to cruise along looking straight ahead oblivious to all the cars around them resenting the fact that others aren't so passive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area