Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM

180 posts, read 656,807 times

Advertisements

The freeways here are not dangerious. At least no more so than any freeway. There are some that do go too fast as there are any place. There are also those that go too slow. Frankly the ones I fear the most are the ones that ARE in FEAR as hit the on ramp. The folks are in panic mode from the start and it can only go down hill.

I can only guess these people are in panic mode since they are incapable of properly handling the machine they are driving. Seems to me that you need to spend more time learning to drive your car and relax rather than driving in fear. The sad thing is that there very few options for drivers like this to learn to drive in safe confident manner. Simple driver training is sorely lacking in the US and "Driver Ed" consists of such basic stuff that teaches little more than Red = stop and the brake is the middle pedal and slows you down. If something as simple as the concept of getting your eyes up and looking down road rather than just at the bumper of the car infront people could be much better and relaxed drivers. Just practice looking farther up and down the road. It will be amaxing how much slower stuff appears to happen when you look father infront. Things don't "just appear" anymore they develop slowly allowing you time to see what is occuring long before it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM

467 posts, read 1,191,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post

The AUTOBAHN is in Germany, as far as I am aware this is the only country in mainland Europe that has an interstate system that has no speed limit in parts. It is not unrestricted completely, you drive in and out of different speed limit zones.

I find this is not the case in the US, before you can return to your original lane you have some chump speeding up your inside, effectively leaving you to block the road!! It is sometimes very difficult to get back into the right hand lane.
Sorry, I not buying the whole..."I can't get back into the right lane deal." It's called a "Right Turn Indicator" (blinker) that you need to use to get back into the right lane. Most people when they see that, will yield to you if you just use it.

If you don't use it, now will the car that needs to yield know? They don't, they are not mind readers. So, if you want to get into the right lane, use that valuable tool that came with your car. Oh, and by the way, you will not get an electric bill if you use it. So don't worry about having to pay extra, it's free.

As for the Autobahn, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and now Italy are all connected to the Autobahn. The facts that I mentioned was from a program that I watched while I was in Italy last Summer.

In this program, they stated that the majority of the accidents happen because the driver in the right lane fails to use their left mirror while changing lanes and "Don't return to drive in the right lane at reduced speeds. They continue to drive in the left lane where rear end collisions occur"

They have strict rules for diving in Europe, when it comes time to drive on the Autobahn. Before you set one foot on it, they warn you about the ticket you can get for not yielding to on coming traffic as it approches you car from the rear.

The problem here in the US, most people don't have any type of drivers training. Because they feel that they are an adult and have a set of keys, they automatically know how to drive, let alone know any of the rules of the road.

Last edited by Head coach; 08-19-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,440,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Never before have I encountered such bad drivers. Why is this? The heat? At any rate, I am ready to quit my job as I have to do a lot of driving throughout Maricopa County. What is up with people here? They drive like morons and idiots. Anyone ever noticed all of the black tire marks on the K-walls on I-10? Complete idiots.
LOL...dude, its not that bad...what is your job anyways? outside sales? that's why they have right lanes!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,360,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Thank you. I try. As far as the police officer, that's where situational awareness is important. They won't catch you if you know where they are. Now get out of my way.
Sure, Markas...

I'll make plenty of way for you as they lead you into your prison cell, after you've finally killed somebody, and after they've taken away your vehicle(s), and revoked your license for life!

Your attorney will also be wondering what exactly it was that caused you to morph into Mr Fast & Furious Lane-changing NASCAR wannabe.

The very best to you in your new climate-controlled environment! Sheriff Joe's gonna love you. Be sure to say "Hi!" to Bubba for us!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM

124 posts, read 509,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
They have strict rules for diving in Europe, when it comes time to drive on the Autobahn. Before you set one foot on it, they warn you about the ticket you can get for not yielding to on coming traffic as it approches you car from the rear..
When I was in Germany 3 weeks ago, I did not see any rules or information about tickets.

There is not resolution to this discussion. No one has the right to try to dictate their way of driving onto anyone else. I am not asking you to drive slower, I am asking you to stop telling me to drive quicker. I just hate the mentality that people presume that the road is theirs and everyone should drive how they dictate. Unfortunately there are extremes of driving, people who drive fast and dangerously and people who drive horrendously slow and block the roads for other drivers. Neither is safe.

I used to be a "speeder". I am from the UK and when I lived there had no problem speeding along at 90+mph (speed limit 70). When we moved to the US (Texas) we had to take a US driving test and for insurance purposes were put in the same category of 16 years drivers. I reduced the speed I drive at because I don't want a ticket. I don't want to increase my already high insurance premiums and create any legal issues, as my stay in the US is Visa dependent.

I choose to stay around the speed limit, however I do alter my speed based on the "flow of traffic". My frustration occurs when I am effectively forced to drive quicker because someone else is in a rush and wants me to go faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
The problem here in the US, most people don't have any type of drivers training. Because they feel that they are an adult and have a set of keys, they automatically know how to drive, let alone know any of the rules of the road.
Without meaning to generalize I have to say I agree, I find the lack of foresight incredible. It seems to be that people have their own agenda, they are not aware of others surrounding them.

What is the solution? I think TurcoLoco has it right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I try to think about all common scenarios like this and try to treat others or show courtesy just as much as I would like to receive it and even though I do not receive it most of the time, I still do it.
If everyone put aside what they like or want and be patient and courteous, I believe people will become better drivers, even in the Wild Wild West.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
I choose to stay around the speed limit, however I do alter my speed based on the "flow of traffic". My frustration occurs when I am effectively forced to drive quicker because someone else is in a rush and wants me to go faster.
Couple things here.

1) If you choose to stay at the speed limit. Fine. I am ok with that. Please make sure you stay right and don't impead the flow of others looking to run 5 over.

2) You should never be indimated to drive faster than you want to. If you are flowing at legal limit speed in right lane and some is riding you. Well tough for them. You are doing just fine and don't let them bug you.

Now if you are in the left lane or driving in such aways as not allow them to pass then you are doing something wrong. If you are going 5 over the left lane to pass another car going the speed limit and some is come behind you 10 over looking to get by... Well here is the deal. Complete your pass at your pace and then pull over right to let them by. They need to wait. Now if you pull out in front to pass as you see other car coming and they are forced to slow down so you can pass you are impeading traffic and that is not safe.

Personally today going in to work I was in 2 lane freeway in a construction zone. I was cruising at 65 in the right lane (10 over, but still slower than most traffic). I pulled over to pass a car going 60 in my lane. Traffic was clear as I started the pass and as I was making it a truck came up behind me. He pressed me to "get out of the way", but I did not let it bother me. I completed my pass at the same 65 I had been doing and pull back over to the right after completing the pass. No need to speed up he would just have to wait. Yeah he was in a hurry, but so what. I was not go to get intimidated in to going faster. Sure I could drive down that road at 80 mph with ease, but why? At the same time once my pass was done I was not going to just stay in the left lane. What could be gained by doing that?

Frankly I don't really care how fast people go through there. I go a reasonable speed and if some one chooses to drive by fast I don't care. If they a weaving in traffic I just hope they get farther away as the last place I want them is close to me.

As for it causing fear or stress. Nah.. never. I am pretty confident about what I can do with a car and aware their are idiots out there.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
Couple things here.

1) If you choose to stay at the speed limit. Fine. I am ok with that. Please make sure you stay right and don't impead the flow of others looking to run 5 over.

2) You should never be indimated to drive faster than you want to. If you are flowing at legal limit speed in right lane and some is riding you. Well tough for them. You are doing just fine and don't let them bug you.

Now if you are in the left lane or driving in such aways as not allow them to pass then you are doing something wrong. If you are going 5 over the left lane to pass another car going the speed limit and some is come behind you 10 over looking to get by... Well here is the deal. Complete your pass at your pace and then pull over right to let them by. They need to wait. Now if you pull out in front to pass as you see other car coming and they are forced to slow down so you can pass you are impeading traffic and that is not safe.

Personally today going in to work I was in 2 lane freeway in a construction zone. I was cruising at 65 in the right lane (10 over, but still slower than most traffic). I pulled over to pass a car going 60 in my lane. Traffic was clear as I started the pass and as I was making it a truck came up behind me. He pressed me to "get out of the way", but I did not let it bother me. I completed my pass at the same 65 I had been doing and pull back over to the right after completing the pass. No need to speed up he would just have to wait. Yeah he was in a hurry, but so what. I was not go to get intimidated in to going faster. Sure I could drive down that road at 80 mph with ease, but why? At the same time once my pass was done I was not going to just stay in the left lane. What could be gained by doing that?

Frankly I don't really care how fast people go through there. I go a reasonable speed and if some one chooses to drive by fast I don't care. If they a weaving in traffic I just hope they get farther away as the last place I want them is close to me.

As for it causing fear or stress. Nah.. never. I am pretty confident about what I can do with a car and aware their are idiots out there.
No offense, Joe, but I'm wondering what the police would say to you about the above thoughts?

Seriously now, if driving faster than the speed limit is okay, then why does everyone slow down to the actual speed limit (or whatever the police vehicle's rate of speed happens to be) when a police vehicle is present? Then, doesn't everyone speed right back up when the police vehicle is gone? Surely, I'm not the only one who sees this?

Seems to me that people will break the law as long as a law enforcement officer is no where in sight. Catch my tokyo drift?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
No offense, Joe, but I'm wondering what the police would say to you about the above thoughts?

Seriously now, if driving faster than the speed limit is okay, then why does everyone slow down to the actual speed limit (or whatever the police vehicle's rate of speed happens to be) when a police vehicle is present? Then, doesn't everyone speed right back up when the police vehicle is gone? Surely, I'm not the only one who sees this?

Seems to me that people will break the law as long as a law enforcement officer is no where in sight. Catch my tokyo drift?
I am not the Police and it is not my job to enforce traffic laws. I never said I encouraged people to speed, but I am not going to get bent out of shape if some one does speed.

As for people slowing down with Police around... Well who wants to get a speeding ticket? I don't know anyone that wants to get one.

Personally I am more concern about drivering being aware of their surroundings rather than how fast they go. I personally am quite comfortable going side by side with another car around a corner a 95+ mph if the conditions are right the other driver is aware. Truth is that public roads in the US are very rarely the places to do that and the average US driver is incapable of controling car at those speeds.

Speed in and of it self is not dangerious, but lack of attention and awareness is dangerious at any speed.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
I am not the Police and it is not my job to enforce traffic laws. I never said I encouraged people to speed, but I am not going to get bent out of shape if some one does speed.

As for people slowing down with Police around... Well who wants to get a speeding ticket? I don't know anyone that wants to get one.

Personally I am more concern about drivering being aware of their surroundings rather than how fast they go. I personally am quite comfortable going side by side with another car around a corner a 95+ mph if the conditions are right the other driver is aware. Truth is that public roads in the US are very rarely the places to do that and the average US driver is incapable of controling car at those speeds.

Speed in and of it self is not dangerious, but lack of attention and awareness is dangerious at any speed.

Okay. Well, that definitely answers my questions. Thanx!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:46 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,274,761 times
I have noticed that some posters think that if they are traveling the speed limit then they have the right to drive in any lane they choose to.

In some states (WA for one) they would be breaking the law for clogging up the high speed lane and would be more likely to get a ticket then the speeders they are so pissed off at.

Does anyone know if AZ also expects slower drivers to keep to the right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area