Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM

286 posts, read 1,030,702 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing about this open-air mall thing opening in Tempe, the Marketplace or something? Is this going to adversely affect Mill Avenue?

Centers like this have a purpose in the suburbs where any form of "soul" is embraced, but why ruin one of PHX's few cool areas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
I've been hearing about this open-air mall thing opening in Tempe, the Marketplace or something? Is this going to adversely affect Mill Avenue?

Centers like this have a purpose in the suburbs where any form of "soul" is embraced, but why ruin one of PHX's few cool areas??

There's already a large thread on this, from maybe a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it has affected Mill, along with the economy. But I think Mill will bounce back within a few years, as it is on the light rail line, and is within walking distance of ASU. It's just going to take time for the market to pick up again.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Here's the other thread...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...own-tempe.html

Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,771,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post

Where have you been TMP has been open for a couple years already, and yes had impact on Mill in that some of the big business and restaurant moved there. I thing the centerpoint development failure has also contributed to the issues on Mill near University. You see more activity now between 6th st and Town Lake.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM

112 posts, read 130,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Where have you been TMP has been open for a couple years already, and yes had impact on Mill in that some of the big business and restaurant moved there. I thing the centerpoint development failure has also contributed to the issues on Mill near University. You see more activity now between 6th st and Town Lake.
He is from out of town and was trying to get more current information about Tempe nightlife from locals. I told him in another conversation that I heard things went a little flat on Mill due to the Towne Lake but I wasnt sure to what extent and said to ask about it here.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,065 times
Tempe Marketplace has been open for a few years now, and it did take away a lot of the bar crowd due to the 5-10 different restaurants and bars all close together, and newer. Plus they have tons of free concerts out there.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
Yes, Tempe Marketplace took away some stores from Mill Ave., but from my perspective a good thing. The stores that left Mill where very suburban and cookie cutter; what is being replaced are unique experiences that cannot be found in suburban malls, not even Scottsdale Fashion Square. Also, Mill and the surrounding districts are changing because of the light rail. The area is expected to increase in density even more, but also switch to upscale housing, meaning it will lose out to many areas of Phoenix for density because of its limited geography and height restrictions which are much lower than downtown, uptown and midtown Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area