U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,183,786 times

Advertisements

I've been reading threads about Phoenix for about five months now. My boyfriend and I will be permenately moving to Phoenix in March, and he will be working in downtown Phoenix, on Central.

My question is this: What is the main difference between the East and West Vallies? I've looked at home prices in each area, and for the most part they are comparable, with Chandler being a bit more expensive than Goodyear.

We visited last November and liked the "feel" Goodyear (Palm Valley, Estrella Mountain Ranch, and Litchfield Park) over that of Chandler, but many people keep touting Chandler and Gilbert. Why?

We will look again in the East Valley once we move, but are afraid that the traffic will be worse in the East Valley than in the West. Is this true?

Also, has anyone heard more about the King Ranch development in Goodyear?

Thanks a lot!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 06:04 PM

35,325 posts, read 45,432,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
We visited last November and liked the "feel" Goodyear (Palm Valley, Estrella Mountain Ranch, and Litchfield Park) over that of Chandler, but many people keep touting Chandler and Gilbert. Why?
A couple of them sell real estate in the east valley for one thing. Also many have lived all their time here in the east valley and have no idea of the changes that have taken place out west. People tend not to go from one side to the other that much as you can usually find whatever you need in your own area. East used to be considered the better side of town, but in the last several years the growth area has moved to the west side and now, as you have observed, you can find excellent neighborhoods in both places. There are some seedy areas on the west side as there always has been, but then again, large areas of Mesa and Tempe that used to be nice are now in decay.

The three areas you mention are the equal of anything on the east side of the metro area. I know, I've lived over there too. Estrella Mountain Ranch has custom home areas that rival north Scottsdale in price.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks. We had a feeling that was part of the sentiment for the East Valley. Old feelings die hard.

What areas are particularly seedy (West Valley)? Or better yet, can you tell the seedy areas just by driving by? If so, no need to type out a list, unless you don't mind .

I can't wait to really investigate once I move in a few weeks.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM

You can tell by looking for the most part. Generally east of the Agua Fria River. The only place that might fool you is south of I-10 from roughtly 115th Ave east. This area is all new homes. They are on the low end of the price spectrum. The area looks nice, but I think that within 10 years or so, it will decline with a lot of rentals and become rundown. I may be wrong, but that has been the pattern with starter neighborhoods everywhere here.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM

3,805 posts, read 11,124,321 times
Seems like a lot of people coming to Phoenix are finding jobs in the downtown area. Nice to see. If you don't mind, can you tell us where you will be working in downtown?

Have you considered living somewhere in the downtown area or are you going for a house with a yard?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,362,952 times
I feel moving out too far west or east will make commuting really difficult. Places like Goodyear and EMR are going to put you a min of an hour or more to work.

I was driving just 5 miles from my home this morning to a conference. I was happy that I wasn't commuting my usual 40 mins, however to drive just the 5 miles at 730am took 15 minutes! It reminded me of the person who wanted to commute from near my area to Avondale in 30 mins. NOT going to happen! Anyway, I came home for lunch and it took another 15 minutes and this was at noon. In the morning I took side streets and in the afternoon I took the I-17 (backed up of course) and it was the same time. In the "old days" five miles would take me 5 minutes.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Central Ave. - Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Seems like a lot of people coming to Phoenix are finding jobs in the downtown area. Nice to see. If you don't mind, can you tell us where you will be working in downtown?

Have you considered living somewhere in the downtown area or are you going for a house with a yard?
Off of Central Ave.; were're not looking at downtown, more so for a house w/yard.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I feel moving out too far west or east will make commuting really difficult. Places like Goodyear and EMR are going to put you a min of an hour or more to work.

I was driving just 5 miles from my home this morning to a conference. I was happy that I wasn't commuting my usual 40 mins, however to drive just the 5 miles at 730am took 15 minutes! It reminded me of the person who wanted to commute from near my area to Avondale in 30 mins. NOT going to happen! Anyway, I came home for lunch and it took another 15 minutes and this was at noon. In the morning I took side streets and in the afternoon I took the I-17 (backed up of course) and it was the same time. In the "old days" five miles would take me 5 minutes.
That's what we've been told. Problem is, neighborhoods closer to downtown are either really, really expensive or really, really bad. We are looking to spend about $300K to $350K. Maybe I'm wrong with the cost of homes closer to downtown being more affordable and nice, but I didn't see that when we visited. Also, we'd like something that isn't too old < or = 10 years (for homes).

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

Actually EMR, Pebble Creek and especially Goodyear are relatively convenient to downtown. My wife works at 16th Street and Roosevelt ("downtown" for those not familiar with the area). She commutes from EMR in 45 minutes in rush hour, 35 minutes if she goes in after about 8am. It takes only 20-25 minutes to get to downtown from the parts of Goodyear near I-10 (non-rush). It's a straight shot. Pebble Creek is 3-5 minutes off the freeway and EMR is 15. The major traffic problem in Goodyear and points west is the I10 at Dysart. There is a jam there in both directions much of the day because of lane reductions. They are supposed to start widening this year and that will make a big difference when complete - for a while anyway.

The areas to the NW are also relatively convenient because the 101 north is never jammed. So Sun City, Peoria, the sports area in Glendale, Arrowhead and even the area near I-17 and 101 are not too bad, though the actual distance is large.

BTW: An area I rarely see anyone mention but that is very nice is called "Garden Lakes". It's sort of like Arrowhead south with the little lakes/canals where you can ride your pontoon around. It is about 115th Ave north of Freeway around I-10. This is a fairly convenient neighborhood too.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,362,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually EMR, Pebble Creek and especially Goodyear are relatively convenient to downtown. My wife works at 16th Street and Roosevelt ("downtown" for those not familiar with the area). She commutes from EMR in 45 minutes in rush hour, 35 minutes if she goes in after about 8am. It takes only 20-25 minutes to get to downtown from the parts of Goodyear near I-10 (non-rush). It's a straight shot. Pebble Creek is 3-5 minutes off the freeway and EMR is 15. The major traffic problem in Goodyear and points west is the I10 at Dysart. There is a jam there in both directions much of the day because of lane reductions. They are supposed to start widening this year and that will make a big difference when complete - for a while anyway..
Wow, that's hard to believe. If that's true then that's great. But I watch the traffic reports and see the backed up traffic every morning. I can't imagine it only taking that short of time.

[/quote]The areas to the NW are also relatively convenient because the 101 north is never jammed. So Sun City, Peoria, the sports area in Glendale, Arrowhead and even the area near I-17 and 101 are not too bad, though the actual distance is large. .[/quote]

Never jammed?!?! Are you serious? I have lived up here for a couple of years and it's horrible! There's heavy traffic large parts of the day, night and on the weekends. Also, the 17 is bad MOST of the day around the 101. Did you read my last response in the mobile home park community thread?

I guess the problem is that we are both talking about areas we don't live near that the other one does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area