Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times

Advertisements

...http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...rning-a-Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Wow, I spent hours reading through all this info. Nice!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile I have been trying for months to tell people on this board

I have been trying for months to get the word out that Phoenix is not the prosperous City it once was. Phoenix needs to enjoy a Decade of stagnant growth. Phoenix needs to stop having transplants relocate there that are just showing up with no job and hoping that comming to this great City will solve all their problems.

Look people Phoenix just lost a heck of a lot of jobs in the last year and at this point is not growing in Population like it used to.

I don't recommend comming down here in hopes of making a new life. I used to argue with people who think that Phoenix is a great up and comming City with big things on it's plate. Now I wont go off on a tangent but remember that Phoenix is a dry dusty place it's kind of like Fresno or El Paso a colorless empty ghost town. Also a large part of Phoenix is a run down ghetto over run with gangs. There is GANG RELATED GRAFFITI everywhere. Phoenix is actually more dangerous than LOS ANGELES or NEW YORK that is correct.

Now when you couple that with the fact that Phoenix has less jobs than at this time last year the picture is not good. I don't want to scare anyone but this is not MR. Rogers neighborhood here. I recommend staying out unless you have a good reason to come. But don't come looking for geener pastures. Believe me there are no green pastures in Phoenix.

Now I am not bias but if you are looking for a better life you should really consider doing like a lot of people are doing and MOVE TO TEXAS. Texas has all the job growth, the housing is cheap but you still get paid well and jobs are plentiful. In the Houston area it is very green year round and there is even a beach!! Dallas is booming like no tomorrow as well as San Antonio and Austin. Texas is the new California. The end.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Believe me there are no green pastures in Phoenix.
Moooove here!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
And this is why I will never understand all the people who have advocated for people to move to Phoenix. Just plain stupid.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I have been trying for months to get the word out that Phoenix is not the prosperous City it once was. Phoenix needs to enjoy a Decade of stagnant growth. Phoenix needs to stop having transplants relocate there that are just showing up with no job and hoping that comming to this great City will solve all their problems.

Look people Phoenix just lost a heck of a lot of jobs in the last year and at this point is not growing in Population like it used to.

I don't recommend comming down here in hopes of making a new life. I used to argue with people who think that Phoenix is a great up and comming City with big things on it's plate. Now I wont go off on a tangent but remember that Phoenix is a dry dusty place it's kind of like Fresno or El Paso a colorless empty ghost town. Also a large part of Phoenix is a run down ghetto over run with gangs. There is GANG RELATED GRAFFITI everywhere. Phoenix is actually more dangerous than LOS ANGELES or NEW YORK that is correct.

Now when you couple that with the fact that Phoenix has less jobs than at this time last year the picture is not good. I don't want to scare anyone but this is not MR. Rogers neighborhood here. I recommend staying out unless you have a good reason to come. But don't come looking for geener pastures. Believe me there are no green pastures in Phoenix.

Now I am not bias but if you are looking for a better life you should really consider doing like a lot of people are doing and MOVE TO TEXAS. Texas has all the job growth, the housing is cheap but you still get paid well and jobs are plentiful. In the Houston area it is very green year round and there is even a beach!! Dallas is booming like no tomorrow as well as San Antonio and Austin. Texas is the new California. The end.
I agree, more or less with most of what you say except TX. Too many hillrods there...even some of the rich and edumacated people there are classless rods for some reason, like real hicky! I've looked up some rentals in Houston and Dallas area and to be honest, the places that I'd want to live in cost just as much as here in Chicago so Im not sure about moving to TX. I agree about the job though... there seems to be plenty in either Houston or Dallas.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I still think it's a good place for people who like the desert. Texas is as well, and New Mexico. It's just not a good place if you don't. We are having trouble, like the rest of the country, the last couple of years. Can't argue that, but it's the country as a whole that is in trouble. Maybe Texas is fairing better but Phoenix will survive, I'm sure.
We could use a break at wearing the population growth crown anyway. We have been growing too fast for a long time.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM

228 posts, read 594,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post

I think the article itself does a good job of explaining why Phoenix is not on the list; a subject that we've already discussed on this forum in previous threads. Namely, that its economy is far too dependent upon the growth, real estate and construction sector to maintain vitality in times such as these. Much as Detroit (another city whose economic base is far too one-dimensional) has suffered with the hard times of the auto industry, I think Phoenix will continue to see tough times aead until city planners figure out how to better diversify the local economy.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
This is easy to discern for anyone who has taken economics. Basically, one (ONE) of the largest segments of the economy in Phoenix, a.k.a. housing, has tanked and left people with a depreciated value for their house. This "discretionary" income is a joke since most people use "disposable" income to purchase items. A discretionary income is one in which few people whose houses have foreclosed these last couple of years used to get big tickets items that they couldn't afford in the first place. Bottom line, I can post a Forbes study that says that Phoenix will recover quickly because of a DIVERSIFYING economy. Those at city hall have realized that the bubble would be busting in Phoenix soon, one reason why the city has enticed investors and has itself spend money downtown attracting development and housing:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/1/bestplaces08_Best-Places-For-Business-And-Careers_JobGrowthRank.html

I guess you can find a "best" list for any argument. Basically, Phoenix didn't make your list this year because of the real estate market, but rest assured that will change in the future and there are many reasons for that including a still fast growing population, falling crime rate, and like I said before...a diversifying economy. And JD, Phoenix is not more dangerous than LA, NYC, or Houston, this has been posted again and again on this thread.

Real Estate, like the economy is a cycle. In the late 90's the housing prices in Phoenix were rock bottom compared to other metro's. The real estate market here tanked in 2002, and then sky rocketed once again by the end of '04 which hit its peak in '05. We find ourselves again in the same hole with falling housing prices, making Phoenix EXTREMELY affordable compared to every large metro area YET again. With a steady inflow of new comers, the same cycle is likely to repeat itself but at sustainable levels...or one would hope given that this housing bust has been rather large. Rules against investor homeowners, flippers, and tighter credit rules should not allow the same hyper-spike in home prices in Phoenix again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area