Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM

461 posts, read 1,445,972 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my earlier posts re: bead stores and dining options for my trip. We had a fantastic time. We had a couple setbacks so we didn't get to do everything on our list, but we made a pretty good dent and we plan on returning in December to pick up what we missed.

Our first night was Thursday, so we got to experience a really big storm. The next morning we had a little trouble getting around through the debris and finding places that had power and were open. We went to Pita Jungle Thursday afternoon for me and Ted's hot dogs for the hubby... both of us were thrilled with our meal. We checked out mill Ave in Tempe after that then checked in to our horrible hotel. We were luckily able to get a refund and move to a nice hotel. We then headed to Old town and had dinner at Ra sushi. The sushi was great, but I accidentally got a pork gyoza with my spinach ones... I wasn't happy, but they were very apologetic.

Friday we went to Matt's big breakfast then headed to the zoo and botanical gardens. We then went downtown for lunch at Alice Cooperstown and caught the D-backs game... great time. We stayed for the fireworks and were thrilled at how easy it was to get out after the game.

Saturday we just got bagels for breakfast because we had to get out of our hotel. After that was all over we headed to Ranch market and got some great burritos and tres leches cake and fruit. then we did some swimming visited some bead stores and headed to Grimaldi's pizza for dinner, we really enjoyed that too.

Sunday we had breakfast at our nice comfy hotel and headed out to Glendale to the bead museum and did some shopping in their old town. I found a little shop called Pink House on 58th ave and Glendale... went totally nuts, found some great, fun stuff! Then we hit a couple more bead stores and headed to the Brass Armadillo. What a fantastic store! We had so much fun and found so many treasures... one warning, it is HUGE we spent about 2 hours and only made it through about 1/4 of the store. Then we headed back to Tempe to get a few things on Mill Ave and had dinner at Four Peaks Brew pub, very good food and service.

Monday we were heading home so we walked around old town Scottsdale a little and Roosevelt district in PHX and paid another visit to Alice Cooperstown before heading to the airport.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the weather. I understand that it was unseasonably cool, but I was very comfortable outside all the time. I thought it would be more like Vegas heat, but then again I was there when it was unseasonably hot. I was also so surprised at how friendly everyone was. A few times strangers walked up to me when I was taking a picture of my hubby and offered to take one of us together... so nice! Only tourists do that in Ca. We had excellent service everywhere (except the crappy hotel) and everyone seemed to really care about providing good service.

Thanks again to all of you who offered suggestions... I think we had a much better trip because of all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM

38,932 posts, read 50,828,966 times
Gosh, you did more on your vacation trip than I have done in the past two years! Glad you enjoyed it.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 AM

216 posts, read 585,286 times
Sounds like you had fun!

What is the name of the crappy hotel everybody should avoid?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM

The Clarendon Hotel in Phx. Total scum factory.. and the whole rooftop pool and lounge thing is a lie. I'd rather sleep in the rental car.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM

919 posts, read 3,381,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
The Clarendon Hotel in Phx. Total scum factory.. and the whole rooftop pool and lounge thing is a lie. I'd rather sleep in the rental car.
Really? I thought it was considered an emerging gem. It was an abandoned place that is being renovated by a local guy as funds come in, but he's without the deep pockets of a W or other hip chain to make it uber cool overnight. What were your issues?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 PM

108 posts, read 360,919 times
Default Thanks....

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Really? I thought it was considered an emerging gem. It was an abandoned place that is being renovated by a local guy as funds come in, but he's without the deep pockets of a W or other hip chain to make it uber cool overnight. What were your issues?
Well, first of all they advertise a rooftop pool and lounge, which don't even exist. The whole place REEKS of alcohol and body odor and has a foul, musty smell too. The first night we were there the water in the tub wouldn't turn off and they sent a girl from the front desk up to see that it was broken before calling a repairman. The flooring in the rooms is filthy and the air conditioning was SO LOUD and overbearing. They charge $5 for a bottled water! The maid service still hadn't cleaned our room at 4:00 when we stopped by. We couldn't use the pool that they actually did have because they had a 4 day party from noon to midnight with a $20 pp cover and hundreds of people. The party was SO loud with blasting techno music and drunk idiots running around everywhere. The parking was also taken up by the party, we had to haul all of our luggage 2 blocks to our car, parked on the street, even though they advertise covered parking. They didn't tell us anything about this party when we booked or checked in or we never would have booked. I mean who goes to Phx in august and doesn't want a shower, air conditioning, a pool and covered parking??? Plus, it is our vacation. we want to see stuff and have fun, but we also want to relax... who can relax in that atmosphere? I mean, I like a good party but 12 hours a day for 4 days straight is excessive.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,216,728 times
This post belongs as the lead story of the next issue of Phoenix Magazine.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM

837 posts, read 2,323,447 times
damn I live right there in the excutive towers condominiums.....I would have rented you guys a room for your vacation

Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
damn I live right there in the excutive towers condominiums.....I would have rented you guys a room for your vacation
do you provide maid service??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area