Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 34,600 times

Advertisements

I will be transferring to the Phoenix area for work sometime in the future. My wife and I are looking for some help in locating a nice area to live and play. We're looking for a nice area to rent in before we think about buying. We would like to stay away from any gang/crime areas of course.
Also, can anyone assist with the job market situation there as well? My wife will need to find work once we get there. She's a buyer for a grocery retail chain here in the east. Are there many grocery vendors or chain headquarters there? Who are some of the major employers in the Phoenix area?
We have already planned a trip there for the 2nd week in May so if there are any areas we need to check out while we're there please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,985 times
The valley that makes up Phoenix is pretty large; driving from East to West across it during rush hour (5-8am, 3:30-6pm) is pretty daunting. I'd say look close to wherever your job is, and that should kind of narrow down the housing search I would think.

If you can, stay out of S. Phoenix and W. Phoenix. Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Ahwatukee (suburb of phoenix) are pretty nice...

Major grocery chains out here are Safeway, Bashas, Fry's Grocery, Albertsons, AJ's Fine Foods, Food City, Ranch Market; some are owned by the same corporation and each targets different demographics.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,884 times
I will agree with what the previous poster has said, except for staying away from West Phoenix.

We lived in Chandler for a couple of years and then moved out to Goodyear where we lived for about 9 years. If we ever moved back, we would choose Goodyear over Chandler in a heartbeat, although Chandler is certainly nice too.

Either way, Phoenix is HUGE as far as land mass goes, so yes, you need to start with where you will be working and go from there.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
The first step is finding a job BEFORE moving here. I cant stress that enough. The job market in AZ, as well as across the country, is AWFUL. Good jobs are very few and far between. But the 'Valley' area around Phoenix has seen the worst job loss of almost anywhere else. Sad but true. There are numerous people already living here who cant find work, so coming here would just create more competition. In fact, Phoenix has become an overgrown, overpopulated mess, like Southern CA. And its small economy already cannot support the overpopulation. Why not try texas?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 PM

382 posts, read 1,356,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
The first step is finding a job BEFORE moving here. I cant stress that enough.
They already stated they're transferring here and their wife will need to find a job, so they already have a job here.

As to finding a place to live, it all depends on where you will work and how much time you are willing to spend in the car for a commute. We are moving to Surprise (west valley) and it is a very safe place to live. Litchfield, Goodyear, and parts of Avondale are also really nice. North Peoria/Glendale are also good areas, depending on where you go.

The east valley has it's good spots, but also has some not so great area's, just like the west. Many people like Chandler, or Gilbert.

North Central Phoenix also has some nice neighborhoods, good for renting and close to downtown, and if you have kids the Madison school district is one of the top contenders.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold10 View Post
I will be transferring to the Phoenix area for work sometime in the future. My wife and I are looking for some help in locating a nice area to live and play. We're looking for a nice area to rent in before we think about buying. We would like to stay away from any gang/crime areas of course.
Also, can anyone assist with the job market situation there as well? My wife will need to find work once we get there. She's a buyer for a grocery retail chain here in the east. Are there many grocery vendors or chain headquarters there? Who are some of the major employers in the Phoenix area?
We have already planned a trip there for the 2nd week in May so if there are any areas we need to check out while we're there please let me know.
Personally, I would make sure to find somewhere in Phoenix you can live on with just your income. Krock1 is right that your wife very well might not be able to find a job. I have lots of family and friends in Phoenix. Most are working, but the ones who are not have not been able to find a replacement job.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 PM

49 posts, read 167,219 times
No offense intended, but I hope you aren't the typical mainer like everyone I live near and work with. Everyone around here whines once the temperatures break 70 degrees.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 PM

123 posts, read 354,467 times
North Phoenix sounds like the best fit for you.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Krock1dk, I will already have a job. My wife will need to find a job. I know the job opportunities at this time is dire but we're dealing with life situations like everyone else. We don't mean to take anything away from anyone but we are in the same situation as they are. My plan is to find a place that we can afford in a good area on my income alone for at least a year. If shorter that would be great.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadelight View Post
No offense intended, but I hope you aren't the typical mainer like everyone I live near and work with. Everyone around here whines once the temperatures break 70 degrees.

No offense taken. The heat does not bother us. That's what we prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area