Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You're not going to hear a bug, insect, beetle, or snake clawing. Would have to be something with claws. Could be a lizard got into the house, that's not unusual. Lizards eat bugs and maybe found some in your furniture.
Ahhh, you can hear em, trust me. My scorpions love to claw the glass at night and I can hear them out in the bedroom with the closet door shut!

I agree that it could also be a lizard, that sounds like a logical guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times
Did you ever find out what it was? I'm dying to know!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM

105 posts, read 326,470 times
All the local kids here like to gather up scorps and put a drop of rubbing alcohol on there backs.......they freak out as if they're being attacked and sting themselves......and thus die shortly thereafter....so if it is a scorp, I figure you could just fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and really freak it out and spray it's whole body so it will kill itself.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,242,933 times
There's nothing wrong with someone being afraid of a scorpion, if someone isn't afraid of them that is great, but not everyone reacts the same to these things.

I will agree though that many people make their fear of scorpions or spiders worse than what it really has to be. Scorpions have their place in nature just as much as anything else, and they aren't purposely looking to sting pets or children.

Back to the original topic at hand though, I doubt the noise is a scorpion. And if it were a rattlesnake I'm sure you would know it, because depending on where they are that rattling noise can get pretty loud.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times
ok, I guess we are never going to know what it was.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 145,101 times
i grew up back east and i always thought a scorpion sting meant instant death. ' i've lived in the valley for 10 years... the first 5 in downtown phoenix and never saw one. then moved to chandler. apts on arizona and germann - 2nd floor and almost had a heartattack when i saw my first one. ..screaming standing on my couch, i managed to call maintenance to come get it.. . but then someone told me that they dont really kill you so now i just smush them myself .. my heart still stops when i see them... i see about one fatty a month in my house. .. my housekeeper just smushed the fattest one ever.. i have monthly pest control. a cat a dog my son was stung a few years back. . was nothing

Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 AM

270 posts, read 1,111,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
ok, I guess we are never going to know what it was.
Sorry, Twiggy, to disappoint you! I never found out what was making that noise in my couch. I tried to vacuum the tight space between the back and the seat; only broken pencils, left-over french fries, and popcorn kernels and dirt came out. The noise actually stopped after 24 hours. I would like to think it either moved out, or died.
I have since developed a new way to catch scorpions. I use a piece of tape to stick it and give it to my husband to dispose. I figure it's my house and I rather not to share it w/ six-leggers.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 28,196 times
Here's my way of killing a scorpion in a couch. There are other ways to do it.

1. Drag couch out into back yard
2. Pour gasoline on couch
3. Light couch on fire using a lighter or matches.
4. When the scorpion comes running out of the couch, stab him with a fork.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
All the local kids here like to gather up scorps and put a drop of rubbing alcohol on there backs.......they freak out as if they're being attacked and sting themselves.....
Sorry, but thats complete and utter BS. Scorpions are immune to their own venom. The only way it could kill itself is to stab itself in a nerve ganglion, something that is basically impossible to do.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I figure it's my house and I rather not to share it w/ six-leggers.
Cool, then leave the scorpions alone, they have 8 legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area