Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 AM

150 posts, read 457,970 times

Advertisements

I heard there is a problem in Phoenix when it comes to the drug dealers coming in from Mexico. People are getting kidnapped and the drug dealers are coming in with weapons (automatics, probably the weapons the normal person usually does not have). I said i have heard this so please undrstand that i am inquiring about this to see if there is any truth to it. I asked where they had heard this and they said a documetary on TV. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,170,477 times
Huh....dunno but if so i've never heard of it.....I know we do have an issue with illigals but no worse than SoCal or Texas......

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,783,151 times
Not to accuse you of naivety, but this does not seem like news to me. California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas all have these issues that are dealt with on a daily basis. Some drug dealers with cargo get through, some do not. And along with drug dealing comes crime of unimaginable scope. This is a serious problem, no less, but a problem our border patrol, airport security and ports must manage constantly and with great risk. And it's been occurring for ages.

Were you referring to a specific incident, however? Else, beware that this is an issue that has been going on for some time. Arguments arise as a result, but our borders need increased attention to help reduce the problem. I don't know any one documentary that I can point out, but you can easily find some coverage even as recent as that reality show about Homeland Security that recently aired.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM

150 posts, read 457,970 times
Has there been an increase in gunfire towards local police from these drug dealers or gangs? Hoenstly speaking i'm am naive concerning this topic that is why i thought to bring the question to the locals or would you suggest a different direction of my question. Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,073 times
I honestly depends who you are and what are you're in in phoenix. Most crimes are inner family related, inner immigrant related, or inner gang related. At least this is what i've experienced in Arizona. When will humans move on from killing each other, its honestly getting old.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,783,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Has there been an increase in gunfire towards local police from these drug dealers or gangs? Hoenstly speaking i'm am naive concerning this topic that is why i thought to bring the question to the locals or would you suggest a different direction of my question. Thanks again.
Nothing wrong with being naive if you are trying to educate yourself to avoid that. But as I've said, this is an ongoing issue. Sometimes, ignorance is indeed bliss and knowing may not change a thing.

If you are looking for specific statistics, people here on this board are good at posting such things. However, you can call up your local law enforcement agency (or drive down to one) and ask statistical questions, too. You can also contact the closest border patrol or drug enforcement agencies and ask them questions too. If you're paying taxes, you can ask questions and request answers. More often than not, such agencies are willing to oblige. Though some individuals may find difficulty in locating specific information. If you run into someone like that, ask them if they know someone in their agency that can more readily access such information.

It's a sad state of things when people do kill and abuse for the sake of short term profit from the act of drug dealing. There is a lot of weakness on all parties involved in the drug trade (from the buyer to the seller). It's a disreputable profession and solicitation. But it occurs and we must do what we can to support law enforcement in the prevention of such crimes.

You're opening up your own personal can of worms to some ugly aspects of our humanity. I hope you can keep things in perspective and maintain your sense of good while uncovering the abhorrent that threatens it. However, it is real and must be dealt with. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,519 times
There is a drug war going on at the border from San Diego to El Paso. That is on the Mexico side. The main thing you have to lookout for are drop houses full of illegals. That is a big problem on the westside of Phoenix. A lot of the foreclosure houses are being rented out by coyotes. Not something the average person is going to encounter on a daily basis.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,237,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
I heard that a top AZ police official (perhaps to do with the border) was shot and killed in Nogales recently and it had to do with either drugs or illegal immigration however you would have to look into it further to get more details as that's all I know. if this is misinformation pehaps someone here knows what happened.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
We stopped in ElPaso on a recent trip and were watching the TV news there. They said the Xmas eve was the first night all year that there had not been a murder in Juarez (the Mexican city across the river). There had been about 3000 murders there as of Xmas probably a lot of it related to drug smuggling in to the US. Simply amazing... I don't know but I don't think Mexico has a lot of druggies. This is our problem exported to our neighbors.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM

25 posts, read 75,217 times
We are a city of 30,000 people in the least populated state in the lower 48 and we get drug related murders, kidnapping, million dollar busts, the whole shot. We don't get as many as Phoenix, of course, but I think we may have even more per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: