Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a spin to justify leaving Tempe. It's always about money, and if they wanted more engineers, it wouldn't be hard to woo them to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Theyre actually on a upswing, or so I read, thanks to the cheaper costs after the crash.
On a upswing ??? that why my friend just bought a 4 br, 3bath. 3 car garage. foreclosed home, ($459,000. before foreclosure) for $188,000, with a 30 yr fixed @4.8% . is that the upswing you spoke of ???

Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It sounds like a spin to justify leaving Tempe. It's always about money, and if they wanted more engineers, it wouldn't be hard to woo them to Phoenix.
I do a lot of projects with Google and money is never an object. Costs are not an inhibitor. They are abosultely swimming in cash. The top 2 guys are worth $20 billion each and their salary is $1 a year.

They aren't leaving Tempe due to costs. Heck, they could buy half of Tempe for cash. Take a look at their financials... they are pretty much doubling their profits every year. Anytime they've smelt opportunity, they simply move in and buy/absorb. YouTube? They paid a billion in cash for a 70-person company with no profits.

What many people need to realize is that Google is not a company whose growth is tied to their ability to duplicate efforts in every market. They can be (and probably are) the #1 site in Texas, for example, without needing a single person there. They do their thing online, which has no geographical restrictions.

On the flip side, if WalMart, McDonalds, Toyota, Starbucks, etc. wants to increase market share, they have to physically set up shop in new markets. Likewise, these kinds of businesses are somewhat easy to duplicate in other markets. If you want to open a McDonalds in NewTown, AZ, the formula is already worked out. There's a giant 3-ring binder spelling out everything, from how to build the place to how to make a Big Mac, to how often the bathroom is cleaned.

Google, on the other hand, doesn't have a system that can be franchised. Theirs is a business that is built around creative collaboration kept close to the sleeve and immune to localization. They don't want people making the burger the same way all the time. They want people who'll invent the McNugget.

No city should be banking on a Google office. What you want is the next Google-like companies who will set up an HQ.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just could not find the type of employees they needed in Phoenix. Not even on the ASU campus. Not surprising to me at all.
Can this be verified? Google has been taciturn about its reasons for leaving, so I see no justification for assuming it was about local talent or the lack of it.

Although I'm an enthusiastic user of Google products, I've always suspected that the company and its corporate culture sound too good to be true. In this case, local political and media figures tripped over themselves to fawn over Google without bothering to think about how small the office was going to be. There are plenty of locally-based companies, including my own employer, that hire more people in a month than Google did in two years here.

In other words, Google's arrival had a trivial impact on our economy, and the departure will also have a trivial impact. The enormous symbolism that has been attached to Google's arrival and departure seems to be more about an inferiority complex than actual economic development.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Do you any of you remember Earthlink? Back in the 90s they were touted as becoming one the employers of choice in the Valley. They packed up and left just like Google.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Do you any of you remember Earthlink? Back in the 90s they were touted as becoming one the employers of choice in the Valley. They packed up and left just like Google.
Good catch there.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:05 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
People keep forgetting about the 900 lb gorilla in Detroit------------its nasty winters. Many CEO's if confronted with living in either the Sunbelt or Pacific Northwest vs. the Midwest will not choose the latter. Even the Northeast fares better.

Look at Chicago. People have good buisnesses there. Chicago has worse snow storms that Detroit. That doesn't mean anything

Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Look at Chicago. People have good buisnesses there. Chicago has worse snow storms that Detroit. That doesn't mean anything
Yes, and the weather/climate of a city or region really shouldn't matter in the long term. I can understand how a sunny, warm climate could influence a business to move here because of no snow days, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, etc. However, if a sunny climate was a major factor in luring in reputable business, then Phoenix would be up to its eyebrows in in Fortune 500 firms. And we all know that for a city of our size, the number of those well respected firms that have HQs here is rather small. So much for sunshine. It means nothing when looking at the big picture!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 AM

89 posts, read 269,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
On a upswing ??? that why my friend just bought a 4 br, 3bath. 3 car garage. foreclosed home, ($459,000. before foreclosure) for $188,000, with a 30 yr fixed @4.8% . is that the upswing you spoke of ???
One can't exactly base the market of an entire state on one's friend's home buying experience, but I agree, CA home prices are still plummeting big time...

Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 AM

23 posts, read 144,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you feel like reading, compare the info from both links:

Best and Worst Cities for Job Growth

The 10 Worst Cities for Jobs and Business in the USA

the first article was written by an editor at career builder so they probably have some insight into the topic.

the second article you quoted was written by a
Martial Arts Grandmaster in 5 Arts, Workforce Pro, Medical/Health Researcher, and dedicated volunteer; political Independent.

she sounds unemployed and her atrocious spelling/grammar make her sound uneducated so i wouldnt put too much faith in her 'hub' postings.

when gleaning information off the internet, if the source sounds a bit sketchy, well then, the information should be seen as such also.

as always:

1. dont listen to dieting advice from fat people
2. dont listen to financial advice from the poor
3. dont listen to employment advice and/or a job industry trend analysis' from the unemployed.

not saying they will always be wrong, but odds are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area