Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM

107 posts, read 1,203,145 times

Advertisements

I think they are coming my way if I remember hearing right. I live in Omaha but am moving hopefully in the next couple months to Phoenix. I remember hearing something about Google moving to Council Bluffs, Ia which is twenty min. away. Wierd.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
You're all wrong. I work for Google, in Tempe AZ, and we are moving into our new office by Tempe town lake early next year. Will have over 200 employees at that time.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googledude61 View Post
You're all wrong. I work for Google, in Tempe AZ, and we are moving into our new office by Tempe town lake early next year. Will have over 200 employees at that time.
Seriously???? That's great. However, things are getting crowded around Tempe Town lake these days.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 12-10-2015 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Will they be using calendars?

Old 12-11-2015, 05:39 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
That's great! Doing what?

To be fair this post was 7 years ago. Things were different back then and ASU wasn't pumping out as many qualified grads like they do now.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Possibly he is part of the Tempe effort for Google Fiber Tempe moves forward on Google Fiber ultra-high-speed Internet .

Of course that would not counter the 2009 OP's point of view. If this is the jobs that he is talking about, the Googledude61 won't be a Stanford or MIT grad but rather he could be coordinating digging the ditches.

I say this because the only thing you get by googling "Google and Tempe" is the discussions about the Fiber project (how Cox is suing them etc). I hope I am wrong. Having high tech Google jobs in the Valley would be a wonderful and welcome addition to the area.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Possibly he is part of the Tempe effort for Google Fiber Tempe moves forward on Google Fiber ultra-high-speed Internet .

Of course that would not counter the 2009 OP's point of view. If this is the jobs that he is talking about, the Googledude61 won't be a Stanford or MIT grad but rather he could be coordinating digging the ditches.

I say this because the only thing you get by googling "Google and Tempe" is the discussions about the Fiber project (how Cox is suing them etc). I hope I am wrong. Having high tech Google jobs in the Valley would be a wonderful and welcome addition to the area.

You're probably right, but it's a process. Acquiring those types of jobs will happen but it won't happen overnight.

There was an article in the Phoenix Business Journal about how a company spurned the Valley because of our poor quality schools. The person in question were considering bringing 3000 jobs here but the poor reputation of the schools hurt that.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...and-chose.html

This is something the state and local culture has rejected. They need to rethink investing so poorly in our schools. As you can see, this had a direct impact on community in terms of jobs

I bring this up because high tech companies like Google and others will have a difficult time convincing them to bring white collar jobs here because those executives will have real concerns regarding our schools.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:24 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default Well Let me Tell You!

I had to return to Florida for Family Issues. Now am wanting to return to Phoenix and it has been tuff.
With the flow of the thread I thought my search as a Industrials Ops Manager would have been easier.

I come very close on several positions and I do have a strong resume, but these employers speak on both sides of the months. meaning they want people, but they are looking some with Experience and has spent 12 years in college.

Google doesn't not help anyone with negative suggestions.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Exclamation Its about Money in some cases,sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Any company who moves near Tempe looking for "talent" has done not its homework. ASU turns out jocks not geniuses. The UofA in Tucson is the only source of "higher" education in Arizona.
The University of Florida (Gators)has a similar problem and their Sports Program is the chief money maker for the UF.

So it goes. Universities are driven by the money factor. Yet the cost of education has not declined.

But,( a Big But, ) for those of us who had to work their way up without the benefit of the Silver Spoon, the so called "educated" weakness, is my gain in the business world.

Google comments are not fair, because I have worked with several departments and had contact with several departments directors , like the Engineering Department. ASU from what I have seen in my snap shot, trying to put Real World with Education.

That is why such comments should be not taken for face value. (A grain of salt.) The other problem is the professional student. This may be the angle that Google is trying to convey. This is actually a widespread problem with the age of student loans (hopelessly in debt) across the US.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Look at Chicago. People have good buisnesses there. Chicago has worse snow storms that Detroit. That doesn't mean anything
I wouldn't be so quick to hold up Chicago as successful. Its finances are a mess (junk bond stutus), the middle class is moving out, south side murder rates are non-stop, and property taxes keep going up. And I didn't even mention their winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area