Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some guidance as to whether I have not made an adequate attempt to get to know my neighbors or if its just that they have no interest in getting to know me.
I have lived in this house 4 years and I know the neighbors names on either side of me and one down the street. I wave to others but have no idea what their names are.
What is your experience here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM

2,757 posts, read 7,376,526 times
I'd say it's about the same for me -- immediate neighbors and a few down-the-street individuals I happen to encounter when out walking. This doesn't bother me, and I don't see it as a pattern unique to Phoenix. In the past, people became friends with their neighbors often by default. They put up with people they might not have liked all that much because they had little opportunity to find people with interests and values closer to their own. Now with more two-income families, lots of people make friends through work. Others use the Internet to find people who share their interests. Of course, I'm sure some sociolinguists are mortified by this trend, but I think it's inevitable that communities of interest become as important as communities of proximity. Like anything, it can be taken too far, but I don't see it as intrinsically bad.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 AM

38,952 posts, read 50,859,936 times
We are on a cul-de-sac and know everyone on it - first, last, and even pet names. We watch games and drink beer with a couple of them. Our CDS and the houses around have block parties at times. The neighbors brought us brownies and cookies the day we moved in (in my cynicism from living in Phoenix, I was worried they were poisoned) We also know many people in the general vicinity and are friends (socialize) with some of them. Kids make a big difference. You get to know people through the kids - sleepovers etc. We also run into neighbors at the residents' club, walking around the lakes, and events so that helps too. People come and go though, and we have a couple of renters nearby. For whatever reason, renters just don't socialize (or even say hello half the time). Maybe they feel they don't belong.

I don't think my experience is typical. When I lived in Ahwatukee I didn't know a soul. No one ever went out of the house on foot except to get the paper and all you ever got was a wave.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 PM

477 posts, read 1,578,295 times
We bought this house in 2005. We know atleast six of our immediate neighbors. Only two couple's that we are actually good friends with. One neighbor inparticular, we stay away from, as well as one of her neighbor friends. I don't have time for drama, and avoid at all cost! We like our neighborhood for the most part, but have always made it a rule to NOT get too close to people. You just never know......

Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,650 times
We moved into our community two days ago from New Jersey and have met 10 people so far, and we are renters for now and do not have kids. It's really about what you make it. Although we did move into a place that fosters neighbor relationships, if you're pulling into your garage at the end of the day, walking into your house and staying there, you're not going to know anyone. If you're a social person who is outdoors, sitting outside, walking down the street or in the park, or joining community activities, you are going to know to get to know people.

There will always be various types of people including those who do not want to get to know their neighbors, and you'll quickly find out who they are and leave them alone. I really feel it depends on what kind of person you are. We did come from a drama-filled, tight community that we don't miss, so sometimes you do want to proceed with caution, but for the most part those who want to be social will find each other.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,331,488 times
The house on my right has been vacant for a while. The folks on my left I've met a few times. I felt terrible when I had to accept a huge fruit basket delivery for the lady, so huge it wouldn't fit in my fridge and I was leaving for the whole day. Another neighbor came by with his kid, under the guise of setting up a neighborhood crime watch, but was really just trying sell a security system on a group discount. Another guy stopped by to chat, having seen VA plates on my cars. Turns out he's from near where I left. All the other neighbors seem nice, but I don't care about getting to know them. I'm renting and will probably buy a house in a different neighborhood in the next 6-9 mos.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 958,480 times
As sad as it is, I have lived in my home for almost a year and know none of my neighbors. I live in a townhome and am hardly ever home so both of those factors make it really difficult to meet people.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,563,266 times
Good question. In house 1, we knew surrounding neighbors and 2 across the street. First name and last even, lol.
2nd house, we knew nearly everyone on the street/development! Knew all the pets, too.Community feeling.
3rd house, we know ones next to us, 2 across the street and maybe 2-3 down the street, but generally a non-community feeling.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM

6,585 posts, read 5,829,589 times
After over a year here, we know our neighbors on either side, and my wife has met the guy across the street. The teenagers from down the street sometimes borrow my bike pump. That's about it. The other people, if they're outside, will wave if we wave first and if they happen to be looking in our direction.

The sad thing is that there's a sign as you enter our neighborhood announcing that this is a "Neighborhood Watch" area. Talk about wishful thinking.

On the other hand, while people keep to themselves, we've had several experiences where they will go out of their way to help you if needed.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,113,195 times
We met our neighbors across the street when we were in the process of buying our home (driving by to look at or inspections). Then we met our neighbors on one side of us and then two more across the street. We know a few down the street only because one is the Pres of the HOA. We aren't friends with any of them, but every once in a while we will talk for a few mintues (mostly my BF will with any of the guys). The men are MUCH more socialable than the woman on the street. I hardly ever see women, they must stick to themselves (incl. myself!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area