Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Phoenix for a couple of days next week and I want to get out and see the desert for a bit. I'll have the advantage of going on a weekday morning so normally crowded trails shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone suggest a good 2-4 hour moderate hike that will give me the best views? I've visited the parks and rec sites and I can't get a good feel for the area from their descriptions. I just want to get a good view of the desert landscape and will only have one shot at choosing the right trail so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
mike b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
I consider five miles with a few hundred feet of elevation gain to be moderate. Here are three of my favorites in that category:

Perl Charles Trail 1A -- Ignore the tunnels and everything west of SR51 and just start @ the north end of 22nd St. above Lincoln Drive. It's a loop so go in either direction that you want. There's a brief portion that runs along SR51 and is therefore noisy, but most of the trail is pretty quiet. Five-mile loop.

Holbert Trail @ South Mountain -- straight up and down with great views. Five miles roundtrip. Accessible from South Mountain main entrance at the south end of Central Ave.

Beverly / Javelina / Mormon Loop from 46th St. Trailhead @ South Mountain -- a nice loop with moderate elevation gain. Make a stop at Fat Man pass to see interesting rock formations. Five-mile loops.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:33 AM

68 posts, read 285,784 times
Camelback mountain and you might even try Papago Buttes (great view of the city at the top), which is by the Phoenix Zoo.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Don't hike Camelback mountain. I've climbed it twice now, using each trail up. It's no Mt Shasta or climb down the Grand Canyon, but I would still call that strenuous, not moderate. One of the trails has a bunch of rails you have to grab on to just to climb up. Both trails are extremely steep and slick, with loose, slippery gravel. Very dangerous. There's hardly any vegetation on that whole rock, not much of a desert experience-- mainly an urban zoo up there.

I recommend South Mountain, as silverbear said. This is just down the street from the heart of downtown Phoenix, actually. Another really good trail there is the Mormon Trail, at 24th st and Baseline. Also, recommend North Mountain Park-- especially Shaw Butte and all the trails out and about there.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,327 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks a ton for all of the info! I can't wait to get out tomorrow!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
I agree with South Mountain Park. And, you can stop at The Farm at South Mountain for lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: