U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM

29 posts, read 88,424 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends
I live in Wisconsin right now, but hoping to relocate soon.
I have a phone interview scheduled this week for an outpatient VA clinic, which I've been told is on Dunlap Rd., east of the freeway, near the Metrocenter. Is that in the heart of downtown Phoenix? Anyone familiar with that area? I would like to know about easy commutes from residential areas. It looks like Gilbert is fairly close. Any other newer developments close by with fairly short commutes. I'm looking for pretty new construction in the $200,000 range. Any info appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 26,617 times
No, Metrocenter is nowhere near downtown. Its quite a bit north of it. Metrocenter area was a very up and coming area in the 1970's, but has since gone downhill a bit. Working in that area shouldn't be an issue at all safety wise, but i would recommend looking for a home northwest of there. For the better neighborhoods, i'd probably look north of Cactus rd, and west of 43rd ave.

Oh, and Gilbert is definitely nowhere near Metro. You'd have a fairly short commute if you lived in either NW Phoenix, North Glendale or even Peoria. Generally the further north you go, the newer the houses are.

Last edited by badestdudeintown; 10-14-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 01:50 PM

849 posts, read 1,864,890 times
I agree. I would not live near Metro. If I were you, I'd look in NW Glendale or NW Peoria. Any where near easy access to Loop101. Gilbert is pretty far from Metro area.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM

29 posts, read 88,424 times
Sheeesh!!! I got the "G cities" confused! I meant Glendale. I'm glad to hear that area is not in the middle of downtown Phoenix, mainly because of traffic issues. Thanks for the housing info!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

7,514 posts, read 11,021,978 times
Metrocenter was once the largest indoor mall complex in the nation ... this was during the 1970s & early '80s. Since then, other much larger malls have sprouted up across the country (especially the Mall of America in Minnesota). However, I understand Metrocenter has recently gone through some major renovations ... but I haven't been in that area for many years to notice the changes.

The area did have a problem with gangs at one time not too long ago. Not sure if that has improved any since then. However, you won't really find any newly constructed residential developments around Metrocenter. That area is very established & built out, and very little room for additional development ... unless they build upward!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 11,021,978 times
I was asked on a P.M. if Metrocenter area is a decent place to stay on a temporary basis. I'll reply to that on the open forum by stating it might be better answered by those who actually live near Metrocenter, or frequent the area more often than I do. I'm not sure what the apartments or rentals are like around there. I know it's a bustling area, and there are some hotels that might be decent places to stay temporarily as well.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM

162 posts, read 519,268 times
Personally, I wouldnt' live in the area. Not too long ago (less then 4 months) someone was beat and drug behind a car in the metrocenter parking lot. That kinda stuff can happen anywhere, but in some locations it just happens more often.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
YAZ

7,345 posts, read 13,236,062 times
We live a mile north of Metrocenter Mall.

Last night, someone decided to destroy our solar walkway lights.

Grafitti problems all of the time.

A tweaker always seems to beg from me every time I gas up in our neighborhood. Even had one approach us as we were goin' for breakfast one Sunday morning.

I could go on....but in my experience, Phoenix has handed me much more crime in four years than the Detroit area did for 24 years.

We gotta change our zip code.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM

116 posts, read 350,668 times
I heard they even steal police cars at metrocenter lol. Try to stay away from metrocenter as a place to live.
And I-17 southbound is one of the worst places to commute during early morning traffic, alway a spotlight for wrecks/accidents.

You should download google streets if you have internet on your phone, and see the traffic flow, or monitor traffic from some local tv channel websites so you can have an idea.
If I worked there, Id stil live as far west as I could. Im in Goodyear now but would hate a drive like that every day. I would consider cautiously if you have children or teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area