U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,501,316 times

Advertisements

Are the difficult economic times we're going through right now as a nation affecting how much people in Phoenix are willing to spend on their electricity bills-- as it relates to air conditioner usage? Comparing this last summer and even right now, when it looks like you guys are still experience toasty temperatures in the high 90's, to previous years, do you notice any difference? Are homes and businesses cheaping out on how cool they keep their place? One thing is excess A/C going the other direction where it feels like an icebox inside, causing people to put on sweaters indoors. That's waste and should be cut out. Another thing is having a hot building. I prefer 72 degrees indoors. There's still a possibility I may have to consider plan B (moving back to Phoenix) again. As I said in a recent post a few weeks ago, I actually miss Phoenix in a lot of ways. I think I can take the heat again-- outdoors heat that is. But one of the most uncomfortable feelings in life IMO and one of my greatest fears is being hot and uncomfortable and sweaty INSIDE a building. Tell me if you've observed any changes here or if I'm just dreaming up fearful scenarios.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,973,769 times
I haven't run mine since the first weekend in October -- not because of financial issues, but because it's actually seemed quite mild since then. Every fall, there's a quick snap from hot temperatures to more comfortable weather, and this year it seems to have happened a little earlier than usual. Of course, it could all reverse itself in an "Indian summer," and the forecast for the weekend seems to indicate that temps are going back up for a bit.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,521,267 times
Off with the a/c and on with the swamp cooler. That's how we do it in the desert.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:58 PM

7,347 posts, read 12,351,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I haven't run mine since the first weekend in October -- not because of financial issues, but because it's actually seemed quite mild since then. Every fall, there's a quick snap from hot temperatures to more comfortable weather, and this year it seems to have happened a little earlier than usual. Of course, it could all reverse itself in an "Indian summer," and the forecast for the weekend seems to indicate that temps are going back up for a bit.
Same here, last year and this, I pretty much turned off my AC the first week of October, around October 3rd to be more precise. The first week was still warm but the ceiling fan at medium speed helped just fine. The last several nights was actually cool enough where I didn't even use any fans after sunset. This is the perfect weather for me, 90s during the day doesn't bother me a bit if it cools down to 70s, 60s or heck even 50s at night, I sleep like a cub.

I can't stand it when it is assfreezing in the office and 3-digit hot outside. Funny thing is, office temperature is at around 72° yearround but it feels cold during the Summer months. Of course when you step outside to 100+ degree after being in 70 degrees for 8+ hours, you body goes "What the F...?". I don't mind the warm feeling during colder Winter months, after all I can take off my jacket or whatever I am wearing and have only a shirt on (pants too of of course) which is just fine in 72ish temperature.
It seems, regulating the office AC is a bigger headache when the office is bigger and have open areas mixed with smaller rooms/office, some parts end up being either a lot warmer or a lot colder than the rest of the building. This was the case with almost every office job I had in So Cal and it seems like the same problem is present here in Phoenix as well.

VP, where are you right now? CO?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
VP, where are you right now? CO?
Two miles south of downtown LA. I'm in a one year master's degree program at USC, graduating in May.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,253,981 times
AC hasn't really been on. We are gone during the day and it has been cooling off at night...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,901,950 times
I did the same, shut off the AC, put on all the ceiling fans. I have even had my windows open at night for about a week or so.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 AM

Glad to hear it's cooling at night there now and some of you saying you don't even need AC right now. I'm a little skeptical about that considering you guys are still getting temps in the upper 90's, maybe not consistently every day, but I'll take your word for it. Let me try this again to get my real question answered here: What about during this last summer when a lot of individuals and businesses were cash strapped due to record high oil prices? Were the office buildings, grocery stores, malls, restaurants, stores, public libraries, churches, schools-- kept at the same comfort level you've come to expect in years past? Your own houses/apartments?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 AM

824 posts, read 2,249,851 times
As far as restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery stores go, they seem to be their normally cool environment. Frankly, I would expect those types of businesses to just shut down before skimping on the a/c in southern Arizona. You are just dreaming up fearful scenarios.

I dislike indoor heat as much as you, and there probably are other people like my aunt who pretend (believe?) that their house is comfortable with their thermostat at 85 b/c of electricity cost or just bizarre preference. I simply avoid such houses.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Are the difficult economic times we're going through right now as a nation affecting how much people in Phoenix are willing to spend on their electricity bills-- as it relates to air conditioner usage? Comparing this last summer and even right now, when it looks like you guys are still experience toasty temperatures in the high 90's, to previous years, do you notice any difference? Are homes and businesses cheaping out on how cool they keep their place? One thing is excess A/C going the other direction where it feels like an icebox inside, causing people to put on sweaters indoors. That's waste and should be cut out. Another thing is having a hot building. I prefer 72 degrees indoors. There's still a possibility I may have to consider plan B (moving back to Phoenix) again. As I said in a recent post a few weeks ago, I actually miss Phoenix in a lot of ways. I think I can take the heat again-- outdoors heat that is. But one of the most uncomfortable feelings in life IMO and one of my greatest fears is being hot and uncomfortable and sweaty INSIDE a building. Tell me if you've observed any changes here or if I'm just dreaming up fearful scenarios.
I don't know about people in AZ but here we don't keep the air at 72 degrees anyway. According to our heating and air tech, and our instruction book air should be set and never changed all season (summer) at between 75 and 78 degrees. We keep ours about 76 which is fine and our bills are not much different than we experienced in NM with nothing but a swamp cooler. It is a little higher here, we have a few more sq feet and a very open floor plan with 10 to 12 ft ceiling throughout the house. Though our temps rarely get much above 95 our humidity makes up for it, but our still went off about 3 weeks ago. We are fine with ceiling fans.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area