Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 AM

286 posts, read 639,722 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the phoenix area from Florida and wondered if there were any Phoenix outdoors ppl who like to Jeep, Wheel, Camp, etc.

I'm wondering about available places to get out in the 'woods' so to speak in a jeep or otherwise.

Can anyone tell me how it is in the areas around Phoenix?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It's a four wheeling paradise here. There are millions upon millions of acres of public land within two hours of Phoenix and even more beyond that - more space than you could explore in a lifetime. Just tread lightly, too many losers are out there tearing things up.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's a four wheeling paradise here. There are millions upon millions of acres of public land within two hours of Phoenix and even more beyond that - more space than you could explore in a lifetime. Just tread lightly, too many losers are out there tearing things up.
Thanks, yeah we got our share of idiots out here too and they do their best to get lands closed. I'm a putt putt kind of guy. Not too much interested in rock crawling. Just being out in nature.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by BillyBobJoeBobWilly; 12-03-2008 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
there are plenty of places to wheel around here, its the reason i moved from Pa to Az. there are plenty of websites to check out, of you own a jeep this one is one of the better ones for newbs.

www.virtualjeepclub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

well said! rep points for you!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Yep, I have a jeep.

83 Jeep Scrambler built to wheel. Lockers, beefed axles, lifted, etc.

It also has the Howell TB kit on it. In Florida we have no smog checks but if I remember correctly AZ does and it's fairly close to CA's. Any idea on the requirements of bringing a jeep with an aftermarket fuel control system? Need to go through a smog officer?

Thanks,

Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Yep, I have a jeep.

It also has the Howell TB kit on it. In Florida we have no smog checks but if I remember correctly AZ does and it's fairly close to CA's. Any idea on the requirements of bringing a jeep with an aftermarket fuel control system? Need to go through a smog officer?

Thanks,
Nice! Seriously...crown king.....with that jeep you can handle it.....awesome trails there with boulders..

here are some awesome trails......

The Arizona Jeep Club - Home > AZ Jeep Club Rallies

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Yep, I have a jeep.

Thanks,

i'm not sure how that would work, but i would assume the TB would be cleaner than a carb. they might tailpipe test it, but that is something you would need to talk to the person who would approve it. everyone else (including me) won't be able to give you accurate advice like the DMV would....but even they don't know whats going on half the time.

here is the AZ vehicle code, i find it to be very enthusiast friendly as opposed to the state i came from

Arizona Revised Statutes

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Cool!! I'm getting excited. Around here we have been reduced to one or two serious trails due to lands being bought up, fenced up, etc. But, one nice trail is just 5 minutes from my house.

Also, around here the draw is mud, not rocks. Couple of weeks ago I dropped down into a muck pit. Doesn't matter what you got if you hit one of those you're gonna need to be winched or pulled out.

I got 39.5 x 15 inch tires with Spring over Axle and the muck hole was not much bigger than my jeep but it was enough.

I'm going to drop those 39.5s down to 38 x 12.5 for a nicer ride.

Thanks for all the input here!!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Yes 4 wheeling around Arizona is hard to beat.
Here is a great site with great people that have the answers to most of your questions.
Expedition Portal Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I like the Carefree up to Sheeps crossing and across and down towards Bartlet lake. Cross back just below Horseshoe. There is a website to check the river flow to make sure its not running full.
Again the backroad along Lake Pleasant and on up to Crown King is a great run and you can continue along to Prescott Lynx Lake area.
Florence Junction has a ton of great spots as well.
Pretty much where ya want to play there is a trail or 3.
Enjoy!!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
We go quad riding quite a bit around here, plenty of places to go. We go out to Gold Canyon a bit, some nice spots out there, and there are places by Saugro Lake. If you went forest we went to Prescott once to ride and I enjoyed it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area