Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 17,766 times

Advertisements

Sure, Phoenix is a great place to live. But if you could live anywhere in the US, where would it be? and why? My husband & I are discussing moving away from Phx to try something new but we are finding that Scottsdale is hard to beat unless we go to Cali and pay way too much to live there...any thoughts? If you could move, where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsagreatlife View Post
Sure, Phoenix is a great place to live. But if you could live anywhere in the US, where would it be? and why? My husband & I are discussing moving away from Phx to try something new but we are finding that Scottsdale is hard to beat unless we go to Cali and pay way too much to live there...any thoughts? If you could move, where would you go?

This is a fun question to ponder. I've mostly lived in big cities (LA, SF, NYC, PHX) and I am enjoying living in the phx area now. But because we can live anywhere (work allows) I actually looked into moving to Kentucky! I'd never been there, but work brought my husband to a meeting in a small city, Paducah (sp?) and it was really just a great place. We actually tossed the idea around. It is a city kind of in the middle of nowhere (about 2 hours from St. Louis)...an old industrial river town. From what I learned the town pretty much was dying when the one industry left so the city govt got the brilliant, and I mean brilliant idea of reaching out to artists all over the country and inviting them to move to the downtown area and just take over one of the historical houses for their studio/living space. Believe it or not they just had to fix it up (very strict standards to get an historical designation, etc.) and pay some ridiculously low price. I think they are getting ready to do another deal like this, but as you can imagine the REAL deals are gone. It is just a darling little city, lots of artists, country people, nascar types, fancy types that have had it with urban America, black, white, yellow, red, whatever. Young and old. Oh, plus it is the quilting capitol of America. Believe me, that is a BIG DEAL! I found out as we were there during the national convention.

Anyway, I really liked that little town and am still toying with the idea of buying some property for down the road.

I also like Louisville. Lots of character...not sure if I'd want to move there though.

So, if I was looking for a BIG change, it would probably be Paducah, KY. Or, maybe Newport, RI. I really love that place, but it's quite expensive and would be hard to get through the winters.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
I really like Denver - Nashville & Charleston, SC would also rate for me as well - maybe throw Portland into the mix as well

Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,013,633 times
I wouldn't live anywhere esle, BUT for a second home/vacation home I will buy in Seattle and one in Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, Strawberry, Pinetop, Snowflake, Show Low, Heber, or a cabin in the White Mountains.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsagreatlife View Post
Any ONE place? Probably San Francisco, obviously money not being an object. Money BEING an object, Chicago would probably be my "one" destination.

I split time between Wisconsin and Arizona right now which works well for me.

Scottsdale is very nice. I've come to really like it a lot.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
Default If you could live anywhere

Wow! This is such an interesting question. I have thought about something like this SO many times. This is tough to say. If I could live anywhere, I would live in Portland Oregon for its amazing nature, natural beauty and great public transportation.

Interestingly enough, I wouldn't mind living in Phoenix either. Since this is the Phoenix forum, I just want to take a moment and say to all those on this forum that reside either in Phoenix or its metro area that you have a nice looking city. All you have to do is take a look at the apartment listings on craigslist and you will know what I am talking about.

Yes it does get very hot in Phoenix during the summer but I'm used to heat since I live in Southern California where we can get up to 105F with an average of 25-30% humidity. Of course that all depends on what part of CA you are in. If you are exposed to heat long enough, you get used to it. Seattle would go on my list of places to live also because it is gorgeous and green.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
To live anywhere, would be a great thing. Sacramento doesn't have enough jobs to support it's city, Phoenix is too hot in the summer, Pinetop is too small, LA is too nasty, you know, i don't know.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,160,757 times
I'd go to Colorado.....Denver to be exact....actually, I will be moving there soon.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,482,827 times
I would have an apartment in either Seattle, SF, or NY and a lake cabin in Minnesota or a nice beach house in North Carolina.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,647 times
It's funny, this same exact thread popped up in the Jersey forum, and I said Phoenix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area