Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,559 times

Advertisements

I will soon be another transplant to Phoenix, from Augusta, Georgia. I have read a lot of the threads here, and even in spite of some of the very bad things people have said about Phoenix, it still sounds better than this particular hellhole! *LOL*

That being said, I would like some good recommendations on neighborhoods, areas that are safe to live. Inexpensive (according to Phoenix standards, at least) would be good, too.

My ideal neighborhood is probably something like Queen Creek, but I hear the commute is a nightmare. I'll be working in Tempe (got a great job offer for a company there) and would love suggestions.

I've dealt with crime and traffic (have you ever been to Atlanta? *L*), heat with a LOT of humidity (can't breathe), the suburban wasteland, racism, etc., before, so no need to warn me of all that.

We're a married couple, no children (probably will never want them! hehe) who are usually homebodies, but like to go out shopping or to a bar or a movie occasionally.

Last edited by robm103; 09-08-2006 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 22,792 times
most of the inexpensive places in the phoenix area are barrios example/south phoenix gangs,crime,killings,usual bull****/west/southwest mesa gets pretty bad i have lived there all my lots of robberies,gang fights,gang shootings,lots of hispanics in cheap places

Old 09-08-2006, 06:49 PM

That's why I stated inexpensive AND safe. Well, relatively inexpensive compared to everything else in the area, is what I meant. For example, I was comfortable with the rental pricing on houses in Queen Creek (renting, just in case I do hate it... heh), so maybe other areas comparable to that. I'm concerned about commuting as well (like I mentioned, I was told commuting from Queen Creek to Tempe would be nightmarish).

Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm103 View Post
I will soon be another transplant to Phoenix, from Augusta, Georgia. I have read a lot of the threads here, and even in spite of some of the very bad things people have said about Phoenix, it still sounds better than this particular hellhole! *LOL*

That being said, I would like some good recommendations on neighborhoods, areas that are safe to live. Inexpensive (according to Phoenix standards, at least) would be good, too.

My ideal neighborhood is probably something like Queen Creek, but I hear the commute is a nightmare. I'll be working in Tempe (got a great job offer for a company there) and would love suggestions.

I've dealt with crime and traffic (have you ever been to Atlanta? *L*), heat with a LOT of humidity (can't breathe), the suburban wasteland, racism, etc., before, so no need to warn me of all that.

We're a married couple, no children (probably will never want them! hehe) who are usually homebodies, but like to go out shopping or to a bar or a movie occasionally.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

We have some affordable houses here in Gilbert, close to the mall, plenty of shopping and restaurants. Queen Creek commute you don't want to do. It's not even necessary to do.

I live in Gilbert and work in Tempe. I stay off the freeway and it's a 35 minute ride. It depends where you work in Tempe it could be shorter for you. I work almost in Ahwatukee.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 PM

212 posts, read 923,145 times
Quote:
That's why I stated inexpensive AND safe. Well, relatively inexpensive compared to everything else in the area, is what I meant. For example, I was comfortable with the rental pricing on houses in Queen Creek (renting, just in case I do hate it... heh), so maybe other areas comparable to that. I'm concerned about commuting as well (like I mentioned, I was told commuting from Queen Creek to Tempe would be nightmarish).
Why not live in Tempe? Chandler is another option-there are plenty of houses that are being leased/rented now due to the market being so slow. Chandler has a large mall with lots of restaurants surrounding it. The expressway can get you just about anyplace you want or need to go but there is a lot of traffic.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:

You can get a house in Seville right on the course 3 bedroom for 995.00 1700 sqft,they have a clubhouse with a restaurant too.

Chandler Heights and Higley rd in Gilbert. Lots of new stores around including the new San Tan Mall.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 19,140 times
Phoenix housing market is cheap. We looked at 4 bdrm. 3 bath home for $375.000. In Orange County, Ca where we live that would be approx. $700,000 to over 1 million depending on location. Phoenix is still very reasonable.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Phoenix is NOT reasonable to Phoenix residents. When the value goes up by double or triple in just a few years and our incomes stay about the same, it is not reasonable. It's great if you are from CA or other very expensive places. But that's why the market has gone up (well, one reason) so much, from others moving here saying that it's cheap.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've actually looked at Chandler and Gilbert and they do seem to have some reasonable rental prices. I actually previously lived in Boston and Phoenix prices seem to be very doable if I'm comparing to that.

Is the economy as good in Phoenix as azcentral.com paints it? I'm a web developer and it's one of the few places in the U.S. where I could find a decent job, oddly enough. My husband is in IT and I've heard that Phoenix has better opportunities than Georgia for that as well. We're just looking to get out of the humidity, more than anything! *L*

Seville? I hadn't heard of that? I will look into that as well. I appreciate all of the advice, everyone!

Old 09-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've actually looked at Chandler and Gilbert and they do seem to have some reasonable rental prices. I actually previously lived in Boston and Phoenix prices seem to be very doable if I'm comparing to that.

Is the economy as good in Phoenix as azcentral.com paints it? I'm a web developer and it's one of the few places in the U.S. where I could find a decent job, oddly enough. My husband is in IT and I've heard that Phoenix has better opportunities than Georgia for that as well. We're just looking to get out of the humidity, more than anything! *L*

Seville? I hadn't heard of that? I will look into that as well. I appreciate all of the advice, everyone!

Yeah look up Seville Golf and Country Club in Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area