Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:16 AM

34 posts, read 226,709 times

Advertisements

I lived there for over 6 years and often go back for visits which are long enough to be able to see that things haven't gotten any better since we left.

I know my retired parents love it. I guess I just don't see the appeal. I wonder how many east coast transplants (especially those with kids) are happy in Phoenix after a few years.

I hear a lot of...

better weather there
lots of jobs there
no more snow to shovel
sick of doing yardwork
taxes are too high where I come from
the crime is high where I come from
it's too expensive where I come from
traffic is bad...it's too congested

From what I know...

summer weather - 110+ degrees is hot no matter how you look at it
remainder of the year - smog alerts and ozone alerts
taxes are on the rise as are home prices
jobs don't pay well enough to buy the average priced house
crime is on the rise and has been for the past decade
traffic is like LA...just as congested too

Obviously, I am missing something because people are moving there in droves. I just don't see why a family would want move to suburban Phoenix. I read a lot of posts from people fleeing states like NJ, NY, even Maine. I truly hope that everyone does their homework. Do heed the warnings of others who have been flamed for being truthful about certain aspects of living in Phoenix. I don't want to say that it's all bad. If you are rich, Phoenix can be a nice place to live. If I were rich, it wouldn't be where I'd spend my money.

I guess I'm willing to pay high taxes for a good school system for my children without worries of gangs. I'll deal with a little snow so that I can feel safe driving down the road instead of worrying that my kids or I will be the next random shooting victim. I'll put up with the annoying things of living in the NorthEast because I am smart enough to realize that they are far less important than the well-being of my family.

So, I want to hear your pros and cons of living in Phoenix. Be honest... we all know there is no utopia. Why did you move there? Are you happy that you did it? If not, where would you like to go next?

Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,630,336 times
I could probably answer that since I moved here in the late 90's from Omaha.

-the weather! I love sunshine and Phoenix has 300+ days a year of it! The 110 degree weather for 3 months is a small sacrifice for near perfect weather the rest of the year.

-The jobs. I was in college and there were jobs! I has a Bachelor's degree and Phoenix was expanding at amazing rates. Arizona is a right-to-work state so you won't make as much as you would in other parts of the country, but after a while you forget about it.

-The home prices (this was in the 90's when they were still fairly affordable). I didn't want a large home so I bought a nice condo in N. Scottsdale for a dirt cheap price. Nowadays the home prices aren't exactly affordable, but I guess that aspect doesn't bother me since I don't plan on getting a larger home.

Those are my main reasons and Yes, I am very happy that I moved here. I have never missed the midwest and will never move back. The only other place I truly considered moving before moving here was San Diego but passed because the real estate was cheaper at the time and it was only a 6 hour drive away.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:41 PM

32 posts, read 200,117 times
This is my 4th summer here, originally from NJ..but I could never understand how people that live here say it is only hot for 3 months?? hello, it is 110 for 3 months..but they forget to mention that it is 90's+ in beginning of May, sometimes April...then it starts to creep into the 100's end of May..THEN..it is still in the 100's in September..and 90's still in OCtober..So, yes, for about 3 months you are living in hell of 110+ weather..but for another 2-3 months it is still very, very hot..I live in a very family oriented community and you just do NOT see kids playing outside all summer long. It is kind of sad. Growing up back east, tons of kids out all summer long..My kids are still young, but I dont know what they do all summer long when they get a bit older?
I love the community I live in..Look into Anthem, AZ if you really decide AZ is right for you and you have children. Other than a commute if you work in downtown Phoenix, it is a nice place to live. BUT, Im still desperately seeking a different life for my kids..I dont fancy moving back to the northeast but I would love my kids to experience 4 seasons and not just spring and summer. The scenery here,,either you love it or hate it..I just think all the desert landscaping looks like dead hay with cactus? And TONS of rocks!!I just tell people to come for a visit even in May-October to see if you can handle it..Yes it has tons of sunny days..but guess what,,that means more skin cancer! And you have to be careful with the kids especially since they play outside alot during the winter months..and for me, personally, Id love a few rainy days..or just something different other than sun, sun, sun...Ive met tons of people from the northeast..some just love it..especially the 1st year when their family back east is shoveling snow..but then after a couple of years..they get homesick. For me, its like being on vacation..but Im ready to go home now. Schools are NOT good either..very underfunded. And it is not cheap to move here anymore like it was when we moved in 03. We are looking into NC. But, I wont make any move unless we are absolutely sure..not like we did when we made the move here. Any advice as to what state seems like it might be for us..we'd love to hear!! Good luck to everyone! And yes, the realtors will make it sound like it is just paradise here!! So, do your research, with schools, crime, and especially come out during the summer months to see if you can handle it!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM

435 posts, read 1,571,975 times
Default good vs. bad

I've already written more than my share of diatribes about Phoenix in another thread, which has been cathartic and I really don't want to get off on another rant. But for the most part, I share your sentiments: I just don't see the appeal.

Whether it's the crime, traffic, lack of a centralized downtown, bad schools, traffic, pollution, etc., etc., I've found that there are just far more cons to living here than pros. I've been here 3 years, and truly can't wait to move away. A succinct way of putting it is, as I explain to my parents, it's like L.A., but without the ocean. And the weather's unbearable for half the year. Essentially, it's got all the problems of L.A., without any of the positive things that manage to make L.A. somewhat interesting & fun in spite of its problems.

Regarding the weather, I, too moved from the midwest, and consider the summers here to be godawfully uncomfortable and long. 90+ degree temps for 6 months is just unbearable and creates a very unhealthy environment for humans. Mother nature equipped our species with much better adaptive measures for keeping warm than cooling off. Consider that in other areas of the world, temps that high would be record-breaking and dangerous, whereas here it's the norm and people just shrug it off and say, "oh, you'll get used to it". Uh, no, I won't. And for people who do, I'll only say that there's a word for those who see things as normal that the majority of society defines as "extreme" or dangerously outside the realm of acceptable: it's called insanity. As long as it feels hot to me, I'll know I'm still sane.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:55 AM

153 posts, read 561,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlyn
BUT, Im still desperately seeking a different life for my kids..I dont fancy moving back to the northeast but I would love my kids to experience 4 seasons and not just spring and summer...We are looking into NC. But, I wont make any move unless we are absolutely sure..not like we did when we made the move here. Any advice as to what state seems like it might be for us..we'd love to hear!!
I currently live in Charlotte NC, and we love it here! Unfortunately, we have to relocate to Surprise AZ for a 2-4 year stint for my husband's work. I cannot tell you what a HUGE and painful sacrifice it is for me to leave here. Both my husband and I grew up in the Harrisburg PA suburbs, and we lived in Albuquerque NM for 2 years before coming to NC. I have to say, it really feels like home to us here.

Charlotte is a city of 1 million or so with a VERY diverse population: white (of course), black, hispanic, native american, eastern indian. A lot of cultural events, with an emphasis on the performing and visual arts. Lots of professional sporting events including basketball, hockey, football, baseball, NASCAR, and soon a whitewater rafting center. Lots of rural area surrounding, so there are some good farmer's markets and organic food markets.

Charlotte has an awesome library and park system, and a plan enacted to preserve green space throughout the city. They've added bike lanes, and are TRYING to improve mass transit with HOV lanes, bus lanes and light rail system. It's debatable how well all that is really helping to cut down on traffic congestion. People love their cars here, too.

I have to admit the school system stinks. Not underfunded, but TERRIBLE mismanagement of funds. There are some Montessori (arts-based and not), International Baccalaureate, Latin schools and other alternative schools that are part of the public school system. And we have school choice (top 3 picks lottery style) as well as neighborhood schooling.

NC is a Red State, with mostly republican congress members, and Charlotte has its share of good ol' boy mentality and a generous sprinkling of rednecks. But beautiful beaches are only 4 hours away, the Appalachian Mnts only 2 hours, and all the beautiful seasons represented, including cool winters with very little snow.

I'm so sad to be leaving. But I hope this helps you out. Charlotte is a big city without the overwhelming big-city feel, and there are lots of other good choices to live in NC. Best of luck!!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 64,019 times
Default The appeal is gone

Had to reply, I've lived here since 1969....moved from NJ when I was young. I'm leaving. I made a huge mistake recently and moved from north phoenix to surprise. Talk about culture shock! I also lived in San Diego for 10 years, I've been back for about 10. Sorry, while SD is crowded and pricey, there's still a lot of pride from people who live there. Metro Phoenix and it's surrounding is over priced, over built. Wages are improving but you should know...Arizona is extremely greedy. I've been through one recession and watched family go through another. It was pathetic, people here want all the toys, most don't have a savings account. They live moment by moment, it's important to show everyone your toys or to have the biggest house. I'm not talking Scottsdale or Paradise Valley, I'm talking Surprise, north Phoenix as well. Mesa is about the only town that's realistic, very well taken care of. Schools are pathetic, my kids go to the Dysart district, it's absolutely pathetic. The district is the fastest growing but the worst in operation. The superintendent was found looking for another job out of state! The culture in Surprise is awful, some people try to call it a "bedroom community". It's not, it's filled with all sorts of people who wouldn't normally be able to afford housing, this magical thing I've just learned about being Section 8! I had no idea about it until I moved in. HOA doesn't do anything with those people who destroy the neighborhoods, but they'll cite you if you have your garbage can in the street. My neighbor has their kitchen table on the front porch! Nope, I'm out of here, my kids education and sanity is worth a lot more. This is no paradise, it was a easy way of life for a lot of people. I don't know what it is now.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
The culture in Surprise is awful, some people try to call it a "bedroom community". It's not, it's filled with all sorts of people who wouldn't normally be able to afford housing, this magical thing I've just learned about being Section 8! I had no idea about it until I moved in. HOA doesn't do anything with those people who destroy the neighborhoods, but they'll cite you if you have your garbage can in the street. My neighbor has their kitchen table on the front porch! Nope, I'm out of here, my kids education and sanity is worth a lot more. This is no paradise, it was a easy way of life for a lot of people. I don't know what it is now.
I'll agree there, Surprise isn't a place you'd want to raise kids.

Quote:
They live moment by moment, it's important to show everyone your toys or to have the biggest house. I'm not talking Scottsdale or Paradise Valley
There are some people in Scottsdale that live well beyond their means but most that live in Paradise Valley can easily afford it. The median income is near $200,000. I used to live paycheck to paycheck, I know what it feels like not being able to go out to eat with friends because you need to pay bills. The real estate bubble has helped everyone who bought their home cheap and now they have equity to be able to make home improvements and do other things they couldn't afford to do before.

I don't know how the kids nowadays are going to be able to afford a "nice" home. The bubble has probably hurt more than it helped but I can't honestly complain.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM

153 posts, read 561,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingPhoenix
Had to reply, I've lived here since 1969....moved from NJ when I was young. I'm leaving. I made a huge mistake recently and moved from north phoenix to surprise...
Please give me something to hang onto! I feel like I have to go with my husband to support his work and his relationship with our son, but I can't find any redeeming thing about it except the financial opportunity. Mesa is too far of a drive to work so it's not an option. What about Glendale? Peoria? Can anyone give me some info on these areas? I need some hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingPhoenix
Arizona is extremely greedy... people here want all the toys, most don't have a savings account. They live moment by moment, it's important to show everyone your toys or to have the biggest house. I'm not talking Scottsdale or Paradise Valley, I'm talking Surprise, north Phoenix as well...Schools are pathetic...Nope, I'm out of here, my kids education and sanity is worth a lot more.
These are EXACTLY the kind of people I work hard to shield myself from. These are the "pretenders" who pretend that money is what is really of value when their souls know otherwise, if they bothered to pay attention. The lure of the shiny things is just too great, and they are willing to make big sacrifices and expend all their energy to get them. Blech! Thanks, LeavingPhoenix, for the heads-up. Good luck to you in your great escape!!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:12 PM

435 posts, read 1,571,975 times
Well, you're going to have to work REALLY hard if you move here to shield yourself from those people.. they're absolutely everywhere, one of the big reasons that I find it difficult to live here. People who are all style, no substance; the majority of whom may have money, but not an ounce of intelligence or class to go with it. Again, this is not absolutely everybody, but enough so that it's noticeable in places like Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, and incredibly annoying.

Scottsdale, to me, is basically what you would get if everyone in Mobile, Alabama won the lottery and then proceeded to move out to the desert. They buy the biggest houses and most expensive gas-guzzling sports cars & SUV's they can find, max out their credit cards on designer crap and get boob jobs. That's the moneyed class here in Phoenix.

By the way, Speedy, many of those who thought they had equity based on the rapid appreciation in home prices here, are now finding out that that perceived equity was an illusion based on a falsely inflated market. Many of those homeowners who may have taken out speculative loans are in a real pinch now. You can thank your local greedy, lying valley realtor for that one.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
By the way, Speedy, many of those who thought they had equity based on the rapid appreciation in home prices here, are now finding out that that perceived equity was an illusion based on a falsely inflated market. Many of those homeowners who may have taken out speculative loans are in a real pinch now.
How do you figure? Homes aren't depreciating, the sale of them is just slowing. It wasn't a "falsely inflated market", it was supply and demand at the time. Now the supply in most large metropolitan areas has fallen and homes are sitting longer on the market. And it wasn't "perceived equity", there is no such thing. Equity is equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area