Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,681 times

Advertisements

I don't care what anybody says 90+ degrees in late October is HOT and UNPLEASANT for the time of year...especially after 5-6 months of 90-100-110 weather...now for the other post about 'extreme' head lasting for 7 months, if you think 90+ is hot then there are 8 months that easily can see 90+ days...starting in March and ending in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM

219 posts, read 779,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
HA! Thats what they allllllll say at first. Even my die-hard heat-lovin cousin from SoCal had to leave AZ after 3 years because even he couldnt take it (transfered back to Camp Pendleton in SoCal after being in Yuma). Just be careful what you wish for!
Sorry, I actually meant to reference this quote. I will be the first to admit this is not a perfect city, but the climate is one of the best things this area has going for it. You cannot judge Phoenix' climate based solely on July and August, just like you can't base Chicago's climate on February. The rest of the year the climate here is fantastic and superior to almost all of the rest of the United States.

Please do not pick one day out of a hat and make it sound like Chicago has a superior climate. I moved here from New York and will readily admit the climate there sucked and 3/4 of the year it is much more enjoyable here, and the climate in Chicago is arugably inferior to New York's. My friends and family are so jealous of the climate here with the exception of maybe 3 months, so if you want to bash this area fine, but please do not bash it because of the weather. I sure as hell could be waking up to 38 degrees in October, and instead I am waking up to 75 and sunny, I'll take that anyday. If you want to compare it to San Diego or LA's climate fine, they have us beat, but judging on an annual basis, Phoenix has a great climate and a primary reason why people are flocking here. The summers are also nowhere near as bad as many make them out to be, and I have been much more uncomfortable in Miami and the Caribbean over the summers.

True it is 90 degrees here, but you fail to take into account the humidity or the heat index, which was a comfortable 85 degrees. Please 90 degrees here is not the same as 90 degrees in Miami or Houston in August. I agree 115 is not enjoyable, but 90 is fine.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
Sorry, I actually meant to reference this quote. I will be the first to admit this is not a perfect city, but the climate is one of the best things this area has going for it. You cannot judge Phoenix' climate based solely on July and August, just like you can't base Chicago's climate on February. The rest of the year the climate is fantastic and superior to almost all of the rest of the United States.

Please do not pick one day out of a hat and make it sound like Chicago has a superior climate. I moved here from New York and will readily admit the climate there sucked and 3/4 of the year it is much more enjoyable here, and the climate in Chicago' is inferior to New York's. My friends and family are so jealous of the climate here with the exception of maybe 3 months, so if you want to bash this area fine, but please do not bash it because of the weather. I sure as hell could be waking up to 38 degrees in October, and instead I am waking up to 75 and sunny, I'll take that anyday.
How long have you been in AZ? It took us about 5 years to absolutely hate the weather (or lack of it)...never ending sun with no clouds...no rain to clean the dust off everything...no season other than super hot, hot and less hot, etc.

Having actual seasons and precipitation in N. AZ is the only way we could stay in this state.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
How long have you been in AZ? It took us about 5 years to absolutely hate the weather (or lack of it)...never ending sun with no clouds...no rain to clean the dust off everything...no season other than super hot, hot and less hot, etc.

Having actual seasons and precipitation in N. AZ is the only way we could stay in this state.
I have been here since June, so if anything I should have a negatively skewed opinion of the climate, and I think its fantastic.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I have been here since June, so if anything I should have a negatively skewed opinion of the climate, and I think its fantastic.
LOL, spoken like a true AZ desert newbie!

Of course it is fantastic...the first summer is the EASIEST...it is new and unusual and the heat actually feels good.

Post back after a few years of enduring 90+ degree temps for 7-8 months out of the year...with 100+ of those days over 100...it WILL wear on you.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
Quote:
Sorry, I actually meant to reference this quote. I will be the first to admit this is not a perfect city, but the climate is one of the best things this area has going for it. You cannot judge Phoenix' climate based solely on July and August, just like you can't base Chicago's climate on February. The rest of the year the climate here is fantastic and superior to almost all of the rest of the United States.

Please do not pick one day out of a hat and make it sound like Chicago has a superior climate. I moved here from New York and will readily admit the climate there sucked and 3/4 of the year it is much more enjoyable here, and the climate in Chicago is arugably inferior to New York's. My friends and family are so jealous of the climate here with the exception of maybe 3 months, so if you want to bash this area fine, but please do not bash it because of the weather. I sure as hell could be waking up to 38 degrees in October, and instead I am waking up to 75 and sunny, I'll take that anyday. If you want to compare it to San Diego or LA's climate fine, they have us beat, but judging on an annual basis, Phoenix has a great climate and a primary reason why people are flocking here. The summers are also nowhere near as bad as many make them out to be, and I have been much more uncomfortable in Miami and the Caribbean over the summers.

True it is 90 degrees here, but you fail to take into account the humidity or the heat index, which was a comfortable 85 degrees. Please 90 degrees here is not the same as 90 degrees in Miami or Houston in August. I agree 115 is not enjoyable, but 90 is fine.
That is true if you enjoy the sun and heat. However, it would be a nightmare me because I have very fair skin, and Norwegian heritage. I would enjoy visiting AZ, but I doubt I would ever live at such a low latitude with intense solar radiation most of the year. I have far more energy, and "feel" more productive during the colder months of the year.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-29-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
LOL, spoken like a true AZ desert newbie!

Of course it is fantastic...the first summer is the EASIEST...it is new and unusual and the heat actually feels good.

Post back after a few years of enduring 90+ degree temps for 7-8 months out of the year...with 100+ of those days over 100...it WILL wear on you.
I'm not saying the summers felt great, but I compare our worst months to the worst months of where I came from - New York, and it simply doesnt even compare. Its not just the cold in the northern climes, but day after day of gray, overcast skies, or when it is sunny, its so windy and cold it really took its toll on me after a number of years. Few locations have ideal weather, but my point is, our worst weather - the summers, are much more tolerable than other location's worst weather conditions.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM

214 posts, read 692,566 times
Too darn hot for sure. The first 5 years or so I thought it was great, now I ***** constantly. Soon I'm putting my place on the market and hope to h#!! it sells. I gotta get outa here.

Gosh, NytoPhx, you have a fine stick up your arse. We live here, we can opine con just as you can opine pro.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying the summers felt great, but I compare our worst months to the worst months of where I came from - New York, and it simply doesnt even compare. Its not just the cold in the northern climes, but day after day of gray, overcast skies, or when it is sunny, its so windy and cold it really took its toll on me after a number of years. Few locations have ideal weather, but my point is, our worst weather - the summers, are much more tolerable than other location's worst weather conditions.
You said it, just wait a few years and see how you feel about AZ...you will miss rain...even the snow...the smell and the leaves of fall...the change of seasons...the Valley has only two seasons...hot and less hot...no $hitting you.

I'm originally from Chicago and after 18 years in AZ I can't wait to get back home.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM

416 posts, read 539,102 times
We`ve been here since 1984 and would never move back east of the Mississippi. It`s possible to take a short drive and have any weather you want in the same day. It`s funny how people move here, then go back and after one winter they move back again. Some people that I know have done it several times before moving here for good. There are plenty of reasons not to stay here but the weather is no excuse. In fact that`s why most of us have relocated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area