Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 PM

461 posts, read 1,450,738 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be spending Dec 23-28th in Phoenix this year and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for fun things to do. We visited over Labor Day weekend and had a great time but we didn't get to all the places we wanted to go, so we have a list started. We will be staying in Scottsdale. On Christmas day we'll be going to a basketball game. Does anyone know somewhere good and casual to eat near there that will be open on Christmas day? (we'll be dressed for the game, so nothing dressy!) We got some really great recommendations last time from this forum, so we're looking forward to any suggestions! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,738 times
Christmas in Phoenix is great. I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of things to do but at night it is fun to visit the historic neighborhoods in central Phoenix (safe and gentrified) - there are Christams light displays everywhere.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,953,758 times
I would recommend Cibo Urban Pizzeria, it's very close to the ball game and it's simply amazing. Not sure if they are open on Christmas though.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,019 times
Everything will be closed Xmas day but Jack in the Box and Dennys so good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,738 times
I'm sorry, I should have read your post more closely. Try the resorts for Christmas Day dining. If you're going to be in Scottsdale check with Gainey Ranch.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM

461 posts, read 1,450,738 times
Thank you all for the recommendations. We got a hotel room with a kitchenette so if nothing else I can whip something simple up that night. We want to check out the Heard Museum (we went in August, but it was right after that really big storm and no electricity), do some hiking, go to the zoo (I was reading about a Christmas light thing there) and we want to do some shopping. Last time we were there someone recommended the Brass Armadillo, we only got about 1/4 through it, but had a great time and found some treasures. We will be heading back there again too. We are also looking at a couple townhouse communities. If there are any must see places or must try restaurants in these areas, we'd be happy to hear about them. Even if there is an especially fun place that's out of the way, we'd be willing to drive to check it out.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:02 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,103,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I'm sorry, I should have read your post more closely. Try the resorts for Christmas Day dining. If you're going to be in Scottsdale check with Gainey Ranch.

We love Gainey Ranch, as we like to ring in the new year there...good suggestion!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,707,768 times
Christmas is the only time of the year that makes me warm and fuzzy. Only because everyone is so friendly to me and i've never had a negative experience during Christmas.

This is a Thanksgiving suggestion, but maybe an idea, me and my buddy had dinner at the Valley Ho for thanksgiving. Very nice setting, fire outside, and wonderful dinner. I would recommend this highly if they are open for Christmas eve or Christmas dinner. Christmas eve seems more magical then Christmas dinner.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,187 times
My first Christmas in Phoenix back in 2000. My girlfriend, a Muslim, and I, an atheist who just enjoys the "winter solstice" (pagan) side of Christmas, toured the south Scottsdale area where the homeowners decorate their houses elaborately. We both loved the gaiety (in the old-fashioned non-homosexual meaning of the word) of the season. I'm in Ahwatukee now and haven't toured the area of Scottsdale in that season since 2004.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,187 times
My favorite holiday, however, is the Fourth of July, since I'm a classical liberal and fanatic about the early American style of small government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area