U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
1,384 posts, read 4,069,858 times
Reputation: 1024

Advertisements

I went through Phoenix today and saw the light rail, sweet! It is kind of neat, but it seems like the litte electronic signs by the stop lights (the ones that light up and show a picture of the light rail when it is coming) doesn't come on soon enough. I mean, as long as you are paying attention you should be fine, but not everyone keeps 100% focus on the road, I wonder when the first accident will be..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Inside the 101
2,632 posts, read 6,767,244 times
Reputation: 2885
Yeah, it's pretty neat. I see trains moving almost every day.

The train icon is not meant to be the only traffic signal, though. In fact, it's really just a supplement to the normal traffic controls. Obey the red and green lights and arrows, along with any "no right on red" signs, and you'll be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
 
3,805 posts, read 11,189,745 times
Reputation: 2705
Unfortunately, it won't be long until an accident happens I think. Just the other night I was at Washington and 1st St waiting to make a right turn, the red arrow was lit up...and the guy next to me says "screw it" and made the right turn anyway (there are two right turn lanes).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,973,290 times
Reputation: 1781
As long as we remember who is responsible for such an accident should it occur. If I'm riding a bike legally in a legal right-of-way and a motorist strikes me while disobeying traffic signals, it would be silly to blame the introduction of bike lanes for the accident.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
1,384 posts, read 4,069,858 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
As long as we remember who is responsible for such an accident should it occur. If I'm riding a bike legally in a legal right-of-way and a motorist strikes me while disobeying traffic signals, it would be silly to blame the introduction of bike lanes for the accident.

A little off topic, but I hate it when bicyclers ride down the middle of the road (not bicycle lane) as though they are a vehicle, yet do not obey the traffic laws. I mean, if you drive down the road, you should have to stop at stop signs too!

Anyways, just a little pet peeve..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Inside the 101
2,632 posts, read 6,767,244 times
Reputation: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Unfortunately, it won't be long until an accident happens I think. Just the other night I was at Washington and 1st St waiting to make a right turn, the red arrow was lit up...and the guy next to me says "screw it" and made the right turn anyway (there are two right turn lanes).
When light rail was first going in, I thought the biggest accident risk would be illegal left turns. That was a big problem in Houston; however, Phoenix has learned from the Houston experience by creating dedicated left-turn lanes with separate signals all along the rail line. As you suggest, I think the bigger risk, and the most important focus of education and enforcement efforts, will be illegal right turns. Some drivers don't understand that "right on red" does not apply when there is a red arrow specifically forbidding a right turn. I suspect the train operators will be using their horns a great deal to compensate for this behavior when their trains approach intersections at which right-turning cars pass over the tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,973,290 times
Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
A little off topic, but I hate it when bicyclers ride down the middle of the road (not bicycle lane) as though they are a vehicle, yet do not obey the traffic laws. I mean, if you drive down the road, you should have to stop at stop signs too!

Anyways, just a little pet peeve..
You're absolutely right. It's very important that cyclists obey traffic laws, for their safety and for everyone else's. That includes riding in the wrong direction, not signaling, and ignoring signals and signs. It's a peeve of mine as well and I am a cyclist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,973,290 times
Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
When light rail was first going in, I thought the biggest accident risk would be illegal left turns. That was a big problem in Houston; however, Phoenix has learned from the Houston experience by creating dedicated left-turn lanes with separate signals all along the rail line. As you suggest, I think the bigger risk, and the most important focus of education and enforcement efforts, will be illegal right turns. Some drivers don't understand that "right on red" does not apply when there is a red arrow specifically forbidding a right turn. I suspect the train operators will be using their horns a great deal to compensate for this behavior when their trains approach intersections at which right-turning cars pass over the tracks.
As pleasant as having till your 60 before renewing a license is, it does seem that re-testing people on such things every few years would be a good idea...or at least a strong campaign to explain it. Has there been such a thing so far?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top