Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 AM

3 posts, read 19,042 times

Advertisements

Last friday, i was heading down to ASU with a few friends from california. when i got flashed before i even got to the city. I was going about 87 and the speed limit is 75 and no traffic. it was about 11:30 at night. I think its ridiculous that there are so many cameras. So, i was wondering what i should do...I've been reading alot of these post and people say to ignore them because your out of state. but i also read that you might get served in person if you do. so if i can get any input on this, that would be great.

How long does it take for the ticket to be mail???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpnkdrummer05xx View Post
Last friday, i was heading down to ASU with a few friends from california. when i got flashed before i even got to the city. I was going about 87 and the speed limit is 75 and no traffic. it was about 11:30 at night. I think its ridiculous that there are so many cameras. So, i was wondering what i should do...I've been reading alot of these post and people say to ignore them because your out of state. but i also read that you might get served in person if you do. so if i can get any input on this, that would be great.

Can't answer your last question for certain. Take the following in no way personally, but I am compelled to respond.

Friday night. Tempe. 11:30. Highway (I presume, because you said 75mph, though I *thought* within the city the limit was 65mph on the freeways.)

That is not a time period I typically associate with no traffic. And those cameras are there because there are people going to and from Tempe on Friday nights who are less than capable of making a rational decision as to whether or not they should be driving. Granted they are merely deterent in that way, but if it slows someone down then at least it's decreased the chances for an accident.

And even if there was traffic, I think part of the point of speed limits is not what's readily apparent to you, but the traffic you *can't* see...people merging on and off the freeway, blind spots, hazards, etc...

You *may* get lucky. I've seen the flash before myself and not gotten ticketed, though I'm not sure it was flashing for me. You could always call DPS anonymously and ask them how long it takes for such tickets to go out.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:07 AM

3 posts, read 19,042 times
it was even outside of phoenix. like still in the desert area. i dont know what city it is called..
yea i dont know...i'm not used to speed cameras living in so. cal all my life.

Last edited by xxpnkdrummer05xx; 11-22-2008 at 05:09 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 08:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
probably out by buckeye - they have two of them out there where it's still a 75mph limit

Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpnkdrummer05xx View Post

Many very valid comments, xxpnkdrummer, but I seem to be missing the answers you requested.

Yes, being "out of state" has an advantage but is it worth taking the chance. I would strongly recommend paying the fine and/or the Traffic School Class and chalk it up as a LESSON LEARNED.

Ignoring the ticket could very well cause more grief in the future than it is worth because the warrant will remain on your record for years and the next time you are stopped for the most minor violation . . . ARREST AND SLAMMER until the now huge fine is paid.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH and Good Luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,684 times
Usually takes about 2 weeks to get the ticket.... voice of experience

If you are up for dodging a process server for 120 days just ignore it. My choice was to take the class. It is a little cheaper than the fine and only takes 4 hours.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
And my advice is to slowwwwwwwwwwwwww down. 87? That is dangerous and puts people's lives at risk.

Personally, I am VERY happy they are there (cameras) on I-10 - nasty fatalities happen on that stretch of freeway.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP, you are allowed up to 10 miles over the posted speed limit. 75 + 10 = 85 and you said your speed was 87. Figure that one out. Guess you need to pay up or suffer the consequences as others have said. Sheriff Joe always has an extra set of pink underwear waiting for violaters that try to skirt the law.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,031 times
Default lol you got to be kidding

This is a joke right? you want advice to beat a possible ticket you deserve? your best bet would be to drive the speed limit.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,031 times
Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP, you are allowed up to 10 miles over the posted speed limit. 75 + 10 = 85 and you said your speed was 87. Figure that one out. Guess you need to pay up or suffer the consequences as others have said. Sheriff Joe always has an extra set of pink underwear waiting for violaters that try to skirt the law.

You are allowed to go 10 miles past the speed limit?? says who
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area