U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 183,119 times

Advertisements

hello all...We are thinking of moving to Sun City West AZ for a multitude of reasons, My wife and I are from LI NY. We have just recently been there for a first visit in September and really liked it. I have a few quetions I hope can be answered. We have heard about the heat and experianced it during that visit I believe it was 106 a couple of days and it didn't seem to bad to me. I have read the posts and I guess it is very personal thing either you can deal with it or not. I never minded the heat that much, it was always the humidity that got me. The heat aside we are wondering about a few things. We liked the Sun City west community for many reasons, but for now I am looking at economics and it is very cost effective to live there. Many activity clubs, pools etc. and the property taxes are quite low. Right now you can get some great deals on homes. This is an adult 55 an over community and I am just 52. The real estate broker we toured with said reluctantly that as long as we could get someone on the deed over 55 and kept a low profile for a few years there is nothing anyone could do in terms of asking us to leave, we would be putting my mother on the deed who is way over 55. This concept scares me a little as we will be there full time without my mom. Does anyone know anything about this?
Also we are concerned about jobs. I have 7 years experience in large corp. companies as a computer desktop support tech and she has 27 years experience as a mortgage banking manager in a large company, we have seen jobs in phoenix which is almost 1 hour drive away, but not sure about this long drive and if the jobs are in fact real or not. I have done my homework on taxes, real estate, heat index etc, but haven't seen much on home owners and car insurance, costs for water etc. We were told by the realtor crime is also very low in these communities. Any information would be greatly apreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,135,779 times
Yeah, I don't think I'd risk being caught for not being 55+. The realtor you were using is sneaky and shouldn't tell you something like that - not very ethical for him, or you if you did such a thing. There are reasons why Sun City and Sun City West are for 55+. There's also one thing I know about older folks, they like to snoop in others' business at times. Not all do this of course, but I've known my share that have nothing better to do. Why scam and keep a low profile? That doesn't seem like a good thing to do.

Keep looking on here about car ins, homeowners, and water bills as you will find many threads about them. Everything that has ever needed to be asked has been answered on here... many times.

106 degrees isn't terribly bad, but it does get hotter than that, not to mention it's relentless. So, experiencing it for just a couple of days is nothing compared to living here day in and day out. We also have some humidity during the monsoon time, so don't think we don't get any. It's usually 30-50% and in the high 90's during those days.

The job market here is not that great and is tanking more and more. We are at our highest unemployment rate ever. The mortgage industry isn't that great at all since our market plunged. There's just HUGE competition for every single job opening in almost any industry.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 PM

82 posts, read 183,119 times
Not very encouraging news on any front from you...What is your experience level regarding these questions I have asked? Do you live in SCW? Do you have first hand experience with the questions I have asked? I have looked through many many pages (40) and have not really seen anything specific on Sun City West. I do not agree with most of what you said especially the ethical parts...what is the diff. between 52 and 55. Not much in my humble opinion besides 3 years and during these difficult, stressful and economically hard times we all have to seek out the best possible solutions for us and our families even if it means streching the truth a little. The realtor wasn't being sneaky I was pressing for more answers on what appeared to be a very vague ruling on age. We had heard there were many people living in SCW way under the age limit and no one is saying anything to them. As far as the temp I do understand that it gets hotter then 106 and a few days is hard to tell, however most of us have a limited amount of vacation time to check areas out. I'm not even going to get into the jobs answer. I understand your opinion and appreciate your taking the time to respond on these issues, however with all due respect it was very little help and a little insulting too.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM

682 posts, read 2,392,437 times
If you can rent a furnished house for a few months, that will tell you a lot about the area. I recommend doing that before buying anything because if you don't like it you will find it difficult selling your home in this housing market and will be "stuck" wherever you buy a home.

We are currently renting a condo in Sun City Grand until we can move into the house we bought and I can tell you for sure that we would not be interested in living here for more than a few months. My husband says it is like living with the "Geritol Gestapo".

Best of luck.

altus2006

Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,135,779 times
Wow, I'm so glad I took time out of my day to give my opinion to your questions. Dang, you ask for advice and as soon as you hear something you don't agree with you are a bit hostile. If you already know the answers then why did you ask?

You don't don't believe in rules?? Fine, move here anyway and risk it. The problem is you have to do something that is against the rules to move to SCW, you don't think that's wrong?? There are rules for a reason. The Sun Cities were created to give older folks a good place to live that is affordable. You don't qualify for it for 3 years. We all can't just go around and do what we want and disregard laws just because we want to. There are PLENTY of nice and affordable places to live that do not require you to be 55. You might want to check them out.

My knowledge is from living here my whole life, researching, moderating this forum for one year, and being an ex-realtor, among other things.

If you don't believe me about jobs, just watch the news, or better yet, read our newspapers. We are not doing well. The City of Phoenix asked for a bailout of it's own. Apparently, you don't like taking advice or opinions from just anyone, so maybe a forum is not for you.

I believe my posts are a lot nicer (even this one) than a LOT that frequent this forum, trust me on that.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 12,342,101 times
I agree with Sablebaby 110%. The age requirement for the Sun City areas is 55. There are other requirements for other areas, too, in the valley-- Look for example various HOA's that exist almost everywhere.You can't bend their rules too much or you'll be fined, etc. You know that when you buy there. Everyone basically lives by them, with some minor variations only.
I think the realtor is unethical and desperate for a sale.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM

595 posts, read 2,158,596 times
Some of the HOAs allot 20% to those 45 and up. Sun City is too far from the work centers, that is among its inherent problems. No infrastructure to support a huge community of old people, is another. It is very nice, but many retirees realize that they need to work a little to supplement their incomes (you folks being two of them), and the work scene is bad enough in Arizona, without going to a graveyard for old people. I have heard of a few 85 year old men, who were able to have five girlfriends at a time, because they had outlived all of the other men.

106F? Yes--IN MARCH. Closer to 120F on hot days in the SUmmer. For that reason I would take a look at Green Valley (South of Tucson), or better yet, Tubac, which is a mix of wealthy people and not under control of the Leftists in Pima County--You would be in cooler and less taxed Santa Cruz County. Some seniors did report having difficulties "holding it" at the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-19, but the year around weather is superb. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 PM

21 posts, read 67,651 times
Look to Sun City Grand. They have places for 40 years old and above. But make sure Your Realtor also tells you that some areas in Sun City West and Grand pay school taxes. Property insurance is low but auto taxes are high. We lived in Sun City for 8 years but moved back East because we like 4 seasons and our family. There also is some crime but not like the city.
The answers are on this forum and Sable gave you most of them. If you don't listen, you will NOT be happy there.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM

33,963 posts, read 43,660,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'd risk being caught for not being 55+. The realtor you were using is sneaky and shouldn't tell you something like that - not very ethical for him, or you if you did such a thing. There are reasons why Sun City and Sun City West are for 55+. There's also one thing I know about older folks, they like to snoop in others' business at times. Not all do this of course, but I've known my share that have nothing better to do. Why scam and keep a low profile? That doesn't seem like a good thing to do.

Keep looking on here about car ins, homeowners, and water bills as you will find many threads about them. Everything that has ever needed to be asked has been answered on here... many times.

106 degrees isn't terribly bad, but it does get hotter than that, not to mention it's relentless. So, experiencing it for just a couple of days is nothing compared to living here day in and day out. We also have some humidity during the monsoon time, so don't think we don't get any. It's usually 30-50% and in the high 90's during those days.

The job market here is not that great and is tanking more and more. We are at our highest unemployment rate ever. The mortgage industry isn't that great at all since our market plunged. There's just HUGE competition for every single job opening in almost any industry.
No problem with the Sun City info, but the job picture is too bleak. Unemployment was higher several times in the last 25 years. It was 11.5% in 1983 which is our record. It was also higher in the 90s and following 9/11. Somehow it seems worse now - maybe because we are feeling this one in our property values and it follows such strong growth. But our state rate is now 6.1% which is not that bad by historical recession terms. (I was at a briefing last week where they said they expected 8% plus in a few months nationally and in AZ)

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-29-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM

824 posts, read 2,159,570 times
Quote:
"but the job picture is too bleak. Unemployment was higher several times in the last 25 years. It was 11.5% in 1983 which is our record. It was also higher in the 90s and following 9/11. Somehow it seems worse now"

The unemployment rate is increasing and all signs point to greater increases in the coming months and years. It will put the 1983 figure to shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area