Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:01 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
I understand what your saying and I understand the reasoning behind the HOA. I'm just incensed that I have to pay a governing body to inforce what should be held up by local laws. Paying a monthly fee on top of local taxes. Does that make sense? Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance, Utilities, and here comes HOA fees. geeeze!!

On top of that, I've seen HOAs tell ppl they had to park their cars in the garage, they can't hang laundry outside, they can't do this, they can't do that... and the list goes on.

I want peaceful living and don't want endless montly fees which keep one from having a comfortable life. Suppose I want to take off work for a month or two? Even if I have the house and land paid off I still have to worry about my good friend the HOA.
I didn't mean to start an HOA discusson. It's just that people coming from the east (I don't know about FL) expecting to find an acre or so of land parked out with grass and trees are in for a big surprise. Many if not most acre plus properties are just dirt and weeds with a bunch of junk piled on them. There are some with irrigation that look better, but that costs a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,564,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
In AZ the land is desert so most people don't really want too much of it, hence the homes are built close together.
Lol. People don't want much land? They want more than being so close to their neighbor that they can hear him sneeze!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM

286 posts, read 636,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I didn't mean to start an HOA discusson. It's just that people coming from the east (I don't know about FL) expecting to find an acre or so of land parked out with grass and trees are in for a big surprise. Many if not most acre plus properties are just dirt and weeds with a bunch of junk piled on them. There are some with irrigation that look better, but that costs a lot more.

I understand. I've lived in Socal and have been to Phoenix before. I have an aunt that lives in Gilbert.

I like a house that sits on land, even if it is desert. I'd like to have about 5 acres fenced with the house in the middle. So I can see the night sky and not have to deal with neighbor's noise.

Doesn't look like that's the kind of property that the market's full of in Phoenix though so I will have to compromise.

Still would like to stay clear of the HOAs though.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,564,654 times
Some older properties in the Phoenix area have more land, and trees, etc. but you have to search around. A job in and of itself. Some HOA's aren't super strict, but you have to search, drive around, etc.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM

286 posts, read 636,855 times
Yes but you still have to PAY the HOA.

Why do HOAs need so much to govern? I've seen them for nearly 200.00 a month!!

Don't know what it is in Phoenix though.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:21 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Quote:
I understand. I've lived in Socal and have been to Phoenix before. I have an aunt that lives in Gilbert.

I like a house that sits on land, even if it is desert. I'd like to have about 5 acres fenced with the house in the middle. So I can see the night sky and not have to deal with neighbor's noise.

Doesn't look like that's the kind of property that the market's full of in Phoenix though so I will have to compromise.

Still would like to stay clear of the HOAs though.
There's property like that out by Tonopah.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:31 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,679,498 times
I agree with the above posts regarding collecting junk. I have seen some nicely kept larger properties but most of them just seem to pile up stuff on them.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,114,263 times
The older horse property areas rarely have HOA's. They were around before HOA's came around. However, the prices are pretty high, especially if it's a really nice area. The one area that I'm thinking of (lived there until I was 3 years old) is the zip 85254. Scottsdale zip, phoenix services. An area just south of Thunderbird is horse property. The prices though went way up at the peak of the market (upwards of $1mil + for redone homes). Don't know what they are now. But, no HOA's that I am aware of. They are 1 acre I believe.

The Town of Paradise Valley are all 1 acre lots. No HOA's. Minimum $1mil to buy a more rundown home (tear down).

There are MANY areas in the outlying areas that you can buy a bit of land, however, they will be in subdivisions with HOA's. The price will be high.

Typically, HOA's can be priced from $15-100/month for a regular home. A little more for MPC with more services. Anything that is $200 or more are usually condo's or very high end areas with a golf course.

Our taxes are VERY low, so the price of an HOA still keeps the costs manageable for most. We HAVE to have HOA's to enforce the rules, if we didn't, this place would look like Detroit. JMO. There's just not enough law enforcement to deal with 4+ million people.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 906,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
In AZ the land is desert so most people don't really want too much of it, hence the homes are built close together. But there are plenty of areas with acreage available. I know of several properties in North Scottsdale as well as the Southeast valley area that are not HOA governed and have land. The caveat is, you are farther out from the cities and will have a drive to get to events like sports, concerts and shopping. Good luck!

This is a joke, right??? Everyone knows the reason the houses are so close together is so the developers could get the biggest return on their investment in the land they purchased.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:08 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 906,382 times
Quote:
Yes but you still have to PAY the HOA.

Why do HOAs need so much to govern? I've seen them for nearly 200.00 a month!!

Don't know what it is in Phoenix though.

Monthly fees usually relate to the area. If you live in an HOA with large greenbelts that have places for kids to play you are going to pay more for water and maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area