Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Why is it the propensity in Phoenix to accumlate junk?

My brother-in-law lives in Huntington Beach, Ca. No HOA fees, No Mello Roos fees, etc.

The community is very well kept and no junk filled yards.
And yet a few miles up the road in Long Beach, you can see plenty of junk in the communities. It's only a fair comparison if your saying Huntington Beach, CA to Chandler, AZ. I never did see that much "junk piled up" in Phoenix metro neighborhoods except for the poorer ones and some of the ones on the outskirts of town. I think the reasons for that are fairly obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM

149 posts, read 531,234 times
Quote:
Well, if the fees can remain under control like 25.00 a month or less it would be no problem for me. But it's when these orgs gain their own life and start raising rates every year then it's a problem.
We live on an acre lot in North Height subdivision in Fountain Hills. HOA fee is $195 / year. Here're a few photos of the town -> Fountain Hills, Arizona USA Photos - MetroShot.com.

The town is located about 30-35 miles from Phoenix.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,113,195 times
After work today I stopped by a person's house to look at something they were selling (from Craigslist) and I found myself in a really crappy neighborhood surrounded by garbage and junk in the front yards (tons of it). This is just a half mile outside of a REALLY nice area of town (arrowhead ranch). I was glad to be driving home today.

When I reached home, I exclaimed outloud, "I gladly pay my high mortgage, no problem! AND, I happily, happily, pay my HOA fees!! No problem!" Paying $240 a year is NOTHING. Even paying hundreds of dollars per month more than I should on my house is fine. No problem. I will NEVER , EVER , EVER, live without an HOA (at least while I live in AZ).

Old 12-12-2008, 05:24 PM

47 posts, read 199,465 times
Quote:
Well, if the fees can remain under control like 25.00 a month or less it would be no problem for me. But it's when these orgs gain their own life and start raising rates every year then it's a problem.
I live in a Starter Home neighborhood with postage stamp/zero lot lines and just got notified that my HOA dues are going up another $5 to $53 a month. When I moved into the house in '93, they were $32. We get almost nothing for it, except a stupid pool and the small community park gets mowed.

You need to go to the older neighborhoods to escape the HOA's, but sometimes you have to put up with the junkyard-wannabe neighbor.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 PM

286 posts, read 636,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoWhere View Post
I live in a Starter Home neighborhood with postage stamp/zero lot lines and just got notified that my HOA dues are going up another $5 to $53 a month. When I moved into the house in '93, they were $32. We get almost nothing for it, except a stupid pool and the small community park gets mowed.

You need to go to the older neighborhoods to escape the HOA's, but sometimes you have to put up with the junkyard-wannabe neighbor.
Wow, 5.00 I could understand but 53.00, wow!! I am wondering now about a Phoenix move. I hate being boxed into never ending and yearly increasing fees. And why do they need to be so high for areas with no common grounds?

I wanted to move there because of the close proximity to California, the local Chinese population (my wife and son are both Chinese), and the large amounts of open space.

This is going to be a tough one.

I'll have to see how my wife feels.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM

286 posts, read 636,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
After work today I stopped by a person's house to look at something they were selling (from Craigslist) and I found myself in a really crappy neighborhood surrounded by garbage and junk in the front yards (tons of it). This is just a half mile outside of a REALLY nice area of town (arrowhead ranch). I was glad to be driving home today.

When I reached home, I exclaimed outloud, "I gladly pay my high mortgage, no problem! AND, I happily, happily, pay my HOA fees!! No problem!" Paying $240 a year is NOTHING. Even paying hundreds of dollars per month more than I should on my house is fine. No problem. I will NEVER , EVER , EVER, live without an HOA (at least while I live in AZ).
I can understand your position. I'm going to have to rethink the AZ move I guess. I want to put myself in the position where if I want to take a month or two off work I can. This is what living Free really means to me. I think the U.S. is boxing itself into an increasingly deeper hole in these regards.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 38,422 times
I live in a very nice suburb in Wisconsin BUT the manager of the apartment bldg next door to my house is a junk collector. The main view out of my house is the side of their detached garage. At one point he had a very ugly plywood thing that must have been a shed, 3 broken lawnmowers, a couple tires, 2 saw horses, etc. and 3 ft. tall weeds around all of it. No HOA...nothing I can do about it. Eyesore to me and worried how I'll sell it with that huge pile of crap right there. I would not want any extra fees either, so I totally know what you're saying. But I'm on the fence now that I've had to live next to someone like that!

When visiting Phoenix last year, we looked at a new subdivision with model homes. We couldn't get over how close the houses are either!! From one model, I could very easily look into the 2nd story bathroom next door....which had the shower right there. We were asking the same questions about lot size and left very disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area