U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 53,176 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am looking for an insider's perspective of what the people are like in Phoenix-Mesa Metro Area and the general culture of Phoenix-Mesa Metro Area. Obviously not everyone in the city is going to be the exact same but I believe if you live in any mid sized major metropolitan city long enough you will find there to be a certain type of person who is drawn to this city and a general consensus mentality of the city. For example, I currently live in Minneapolis Minnesota and have lived here for four years. I would say that most people whom live here are either from the Minneapolis suburbs, Milwaukee or grew up in out state Minnesota/Wisconsin. Most people here enjoy sportsman's activities (hunting, fishing, etc.) or boating unless you are extremely cosmopolitan. Additionally, the city is hugely family orientated and many activities in the cities focus around this. Finally, because there are so many medium to large sized companies here there is a huge suburban population with relatively little lower class and thus low crime.

So what would you say are things are some cultural things about Phoenix-Mesa Metro Area or the types of people who live there? Is there even a strong culture in Phoenix-Mesa Metro Area? BTW I don't necessarily mean ethnic culture but the culture that is specific to the city.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM

687 posts, read 2,736,177 times
imo...the first words that come to mind are
independent
isolationist
outwardly liberal
inwardly conservative
willing to accept others unless they are pushy
automotive oriented ie;willing and want to travel across town for whatever we want.
commuting...we gripe about it but think nothing of doing it.
not really "neighborly". polite, speak when spoken to just before we enter the door of our abode.
just my opinion after 20 years here.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,271,585 times
compared to the east coast i feel people here are more outwardly friendly and non confrontational.

where i grew up if you had an issue with the people next door you went over and told them about it. my nosey neighbor will chat about the day outside, then go inside and type up an email when they have an issue that might introduce an opposite opinion. I find i'm not alone in experiencing this...

i also agree that people stop being accepting when you push for your way. i get the feeling car dealers in phx make a killing on the people who are non confrontational and don't fight back....

Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,563,224 times
In Scottsdale, the stereotypical and general mentality of residents is similar to what you would see in wealthier areas of Orange County. Many residents are very image conscious and materialistic. Per capita, the Phoenix area has a greater number of plastic surgeons than any other metropolitan area in the country, including Los Angeles. People are relatively standoffish and tend to form pretty solid cliques. From my experience, a number of people in the Phoenix area are very passive-agressive and don't respond well to people who "tell it like it is."

On the bright side, many people are very laid back, friendly, and enjoy a more carefree lifestyle.

So all in all, I would say the stereotypical Phoenician is the exact opposite of the stereotypical East Coast resident.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM

723 posts, read 2,170,744 times
Lots of Californians here - like me - that still like the Beach and all the things to do in California, but enjoy more of the laid-back feeling of Arizona, and wanted the left-coast mentality left behind.

I found that lots of us that moved here from California voted for Obama, but are more tolerant to centrist or conservative views than just the leftist, pro-gay, Welfare-state mentality that we left behind.

No arguments that Phoenix is conservative, but it's not redneck like Texas or Oklahoma-------
Except for all the idiots in the gigantic pick-up trucks!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,842,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Except for all the idiots in the gigantic pick-up trucks!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM

595 posts, read 2,186,977 times
I would say your stereo-typical Phoenician is a call center worker, non college degreed, a sheepish like mentality, law-abiding, with roots from an extra boring place in the Mid-west, and has at least one relative, who does Meth.

I would still live there. The negative comments about California are spot on.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM

687 posts, read 2,736,177 times
[quote=homlish560;6519456]Lots of Californians here - like me - that still like the Beach and all the things to do in California, but enjoy more of the laid-back feeling of Arizona, and wanted the left-coast mentality left behind.

I found that lots of us that moved here from California voted for Obama, but are more tolerant to centrist or conservative views than just the leftist, pro-gay, Welfare-state mentality that we left behind.

No arguments that Phoenix is conservative, but it's not redneck like Texas or Oklahoma-------
Except for all the idiots in the gigantic pick-up trucks!!!!!![/quote]

now that's just funny! For several years I lived less than 2 blocks from the gay bar that was on Camelback just west of 7th Ave., 'course I can't recall the name now....but it was always interesting to see the parking lot, lots of "gigantic pick-up trucks", construction trucks, SUV's.....

Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 AM

35,268 posts, read 45,368,808 times
[quote=drb85650;6528607]
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Lots of Californians here - like me - that still like the Beach and all the things to do in California, but enjoy more of the laid-back feeling of Arizona, and wanted the left-coast mentality left behind.

Except for all the idiots in the gigantic pick-up trucks!!!!!![/quote]

now that's just funny! For several years I lived less than 2 blocks from the gay bar that was on Camelback just west of 7th Ave., 'course I can't recall the name now....but it was always interesting to see the parking lot, lots of "gigantic pick-up trucks", construction trucks, SUV's.....
Why should sexual preference affect political views or vehicle tastes? Is it a package thing? I would think most guys - gay or straight - would prefer a 4wd pickup over a pink Miata.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,356,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
I would say your stereo-typical Phoenician is a call center worker, non college degreed, a sheepish like mentality, law-abiding, with roots from an extra boring place in the Mid-west, and has at least one relative, who does Meth.

I would still live there. The negative comments about California are spot on.
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area