U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,928 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to the East Valley in January and would like to purchase a home there. What community in the East Valley is the best bang for the buck, considering safety, and being no more than a 30 min commute away from downtown Phoenix? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM

30 min may be a stretch. I meant 30-40 min

Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM

191 posts, read 574,320 times
Chandler and Gilbert have many homes that are amazingly reasonable. I looked at 11 today in Gilbert, all under 200K that ranged from 12-2000 sq ft. Both communities have parks, good schools and are family oriented. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,872,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr View Post
Hi All,

I will be moving to the East Valley in January and would like to purchase a home there. What community in the East Valley is the best bang for the buck, considering safety, and being no more than a 30 min commute away from downtown Phoenix? Thanks!
During commute hours it may be more than 40 minutes depending on how close you are to the freeway (202 or 60).

There are bargains (if that's what you mean by best bang for the buck) to be had all over the valley including the east valley. About 40% of the market sales now are in REO homes (bank owned) that are selling at what I consider to be great prices. There are many that are over priced. The majority of REO's require work, but occasionally there is a gem at a great price. One needs to learn how to recognize that gem when it appears, and be prepared to act fast.

In January I have an REO listing coming out in Gilbert that's only two years old, and it's immaculate with over $100k in upgrades. It's actually the best REO that I've ever seen, and I've bought a few for myself, so I see a lot of them. I think the bank is going to price it for a quick sale. I'm not allowed to purchase a bank property that I list, or I would buy it.

In my pre-listing marketing, I've given a few realtor friends, who have buyer clients in this price range, a heads up so they can see it when it becomes vacant. And I expect it to be pre-sold before going on the market. If the bank prices it right it'll be gone as soon as they allow me to list it.

So one can find a good deal just about anywhere if you're willing to take a little time to look around.

Just be aware that prices are still declining and we don't know how long, or how much, they will continue to decline.

Also, if you find the home you want at a great price, and it's a relatively new listing, or a recent price drop, don't hesitate, or you will lose the house to someone else. That's because there are many buyers out there looking for bargains, and many who recognize them when they see them.

Just last week I sold one of my personal properties to a buyer who was fast on the trigger, and 5 others who had already seen the house lost out.

Had either of the 5 other buyers made an offer and negotiated with me, they would have gotten a price close to what the buyer got. I wanted to get the house sold because I had all cash in it and didn't want to tie it up longer, so I lowered the price for a quick sale. The next day a buyer came in and made an offer that same day.

I had actually sent an advance notice to 10 agents who had shown the property that I was lowering the price.

The agents for these 5 other buyers called a couple days after I accepted an offer, wanting to make an offer and it was too late. One told me that he had kept telling his buyer that if he finds the house he wants and it's a good deal, that he should make the offer, or he'll risk losing it. It happens every day.

That said, it's also a good idea to rent for awhile so that you can take your time to look at various communities to get a feel for what is available and where you really want to live.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM

59 posts, read 230,788 times
We live in Chandler that is closer to downtown than 80% of Gilbert and Chandler. If downtown is where you work you will be in traffic a MINIMUM of an hour. I find it funny how everybody out here convinces themselves how they aren't that far away. My neighbor says it takes him 30 minutes to get to work in PHX in the morning....it takes me 45 minutes just to get to downtown Tempe. Basically whatever somebody out here says it takes, add 20-30 minutes to that for an accurate answer. If you want thirty minutes to downtown try Awahtukee/ S Scottsdale/Tempe.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,853,488 times
Agreed ~ if you wish to drive at anything less than 100 mph downtown Phoenix cannot be reached from the East Valley in 30 minutes! More like an hour if you drive speed limit!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM

687 posts, read 2,725,421 times
Queen Creek? so many foreclosures/short sales in the 60's....comments re;area?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM

682 posts, read 2,420,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Queen Creek? so many foreclosures/short sales in the 60's....comments re;area?
You really need to physically go to this area before you fall in love with it because of cheap prices you see on the internet.

We went out there last year and it was a fast turn around back into town for us. I wouldn't be at all interested in something in QC, especially with the boat load of foreclosed and vacant houses there.

The fissure problem in QC is another con to going there. There are reasons why QC has low prices.

altus2006

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I have heard that some areas of Mesa and Chandler are best avoided. Can you tell me where those areas are or what zip codes they lie in? Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,819,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I have heard that some areas of Mesa and Chandler are best avoided. Can you tell me where those areas are or what zip codes they lie in? Thanks!
Mesa - avoid most of it. The only part you want to live in is too far east to get Downtown in 30-40 minutes.

Chandler - stick to South Chandler (near/in Ocotillo) or the area just on the other side of I-10 from Ahwatukee on Ray Rd. Again, if you're in South Chandler, you'll have a hell of a time getting Downtown in 30-40 minutes. Around Ahwatukee you'll be fine.

I'd also recommend looking at Tempe. Most people would recommend South Tempe (Baseline to Warner, Rural to McClintock, roughly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area