U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM
 
611 posts, read 1,898,148 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

Can I get some input from people currently living in Anthem? How bad is the foreclosure problem. There are literally hundreds of houses for sale that are less than half the price of new builds. Are people visibly down? How well do the people living there interact? Do you use the community center and pool? I lift weights and my wife is into yoga and exercise. Is there a day care for kids if you use the gym? How is the HOA? I notice most have a private H2O company. Is that an issue. Are utilities expensive. what is included in the HOA fee? Trash removal? Is it cooler in the summer especially at night? Less smog? More stars? It looks like a nice place to raise kids with the trade off being a longer ride to work. We drove through last January and it is very clean and we liked the Anthem Mall. Please give an honest opinion. Would you move there again if you could change the past?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,897 posts, read 9,793,815 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Can I get some input from people currently living in Anthem? How bad is the foreclosure problem. There are literally hundreds of houses for sale that are less than half the price of new builds. Are people visibly down? How well do the people living there interact? Do you use the community center and pool? I lift weights and my wife is into yoga and exercise. Is there a day care for kids if you use the gym? How is the HOA? I notice most have a private H2O company. Is that an issue. Are utilities expensive. what is included in the HOA fee? Trash removal? Is it cooler in the summer especially at night? Less smog? More stars? It looks like a nice place to raise kids with the trade off being a longer ride to work. We drove through last January and it is very clean and we liked the Anthem Mall. Please give an honest opinion. Would you move there again if you could change the past?
Anthem is nice, but I don't see how anyone would consider living out there. You are 15 minutes north of phoenix, so if you have a job in Phoenix you have a good commute ahead of you.

There is a lot of stores around there though, mostly south at Carefree Hwy. There is a walmart just across the freeway from Anthem, and a outlet mall.

The area is nice, low crime for the most part, great community for families. My family lives up there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
 
611 posts, read 1,898,148 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU_Josh View Post
Anthem is nice, but I don't see how anyone would consider living out there. You are 15 minutes north of phoenix, so if you have a job in Phoenix you have a good commute ahead of you.

There is a lot of stores around there though, mostly south at Carefree Hwy. There is a walmart just across the freeway from Anthem, and a outlet mall.

The area is nice, low crime for the most part, great community for families. My family lives up there.
I've been there. I'm looking for a sense of the community and some other specifics as written in my first post. Any insight to those issues?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,897 posts, read 9,793,815 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Can I get some input from people currently living in Anthem? How bad is the foreclosure problem. There are literally hundreds of houses for sale that are less than half the price of new builds. Are people visibly down? How well do the people living there interact? Do you use the community center and pool? I lift weights and my wife is into yoga and exercise. Is there a day care for kids if you use the gym? How is the HOA? I notice most have a private H2O company. Is that an issue. Are utilities expensive. what is included in the HOA fee? Trash removal? Is it cooler in the summer especially at night? Less smog? More stars? It looks like a nice place to raise kids with the trade off being a longer ride to work. We drove through last January and it is very clean and we liked the Anthem Mall. Please give an honest opinion. Would you move there again if you could change the past?
From what I have seen, there is a lot of houses for sale, go down any given street and you will find many houses for sale. Visibly, the houses look fine for the most part.

I used to go to the community center ALOT, they have an excellent gym, I like the bikes that have the screens, you can watch TV and go online and everything. The pools are great, nice waterpark for kids, good lap pool and diving boards.

There is much less smog in anthem, since you are out of the main city area. It is also a little colder up there on average.

If I could find a job in north phoenix, or even anthem, I would personally love to live up there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 12,603,847 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU_Josh View Post
Anthem is nice, but I don't see how anyone would consider living out there. You are 15 minutes north of phoenix, so if you have a job in Phoenix you have a good commute ahead of you.

There is a lot of stores around there though, mostly south at Carefree Hwy. There is a walmart just across the freeway from Anthem, and a outlet mall.

The area is nice, low crime for the most part, great community for families. My family lives up there.
This is true.....I almost moved up there but the crazy scary thing is....there's only one fast way in and one fast way out...the 17. If there's a wreck (which is like every other day) on that freeway traffic backs up for miles which makes getting home a B**** Of course there are back ways and side roads but that still adds more time to your commute.....otherwise, it's nice...some of the neighborhoods in Anthem could use some serious attention but other than that.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,897 posts, read 9,793,815 times
Reputation: 928
There is a back way from carefree down to happy valley which sometimes is faster than the 17. But getting from carefree to anthem still requires the 17 I believe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Orange County, Calif.
92 posts, read 331,629 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU_Josh View Post
From what I have seen, there is a lot of houses for sale, go down any given street and you will find many houses for sale. Visibly, the houses look fine for the most part.

I used to go to the community center ALOT, they have an excellent gym, I like the bikes that have the screens, you can watch TV and go online and everything. The pools are great, nice waterpark for kids, good lap pool and diving boards.

There is much less smog in anthem, since you are out of the main city area. It is also a little colder up there on average.

If I could find a job in north phoenix, or even anthem, I would personally love to live up there.
Is anyone familiar with the master planned Del Webb Anthem community around N. Gavillan Peak Pkwy, are there alot of foreclosures around that area, is it a good area for kids, and how far away from the 17.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
 
862 posts, read 2,485,215 times
Reputation: 302
The HOA's are high. I believe $200+ per month? The HOA's are HOA Nazi's. I know someone who lives there. They got fined for having ONE dandelion weed. No joke. The HOA also has private security that runs radar and will issue citations for speeding.

Also, it takes around 15 minutes to navigate around the streets to just get in. It is not an easy in/easy out area. I-17 traffic is horrid.

The area really took a hit. Back in 2000, the avg. price per sq.ft was $96. It peaked at $200 sq.ft. in 2006 and now it is hovering around $96 sq.ft.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
31,304 posts, read 30,712,820 times
Reputation: 84410
Traffic north on the I-17 out of Phoenix at night is stop and go at best, Friday night and Saturday morning everyone is heading out of town. If you have to drive in that traffic to get home from work (depending on where your job location is at) ~ it would be a nightmare.

I-17 is and will be the only way in & out of Anthem for a while. It may take years now to get the other outer loop around Phx going to help relieve traffic and provide an alternative route.

I’ve heard horror stories about houses build during the beginning time when Anthem got started where the foundations cracked, houses moved and footings failed. Not just in Anthem but elsewhere in the suburbs around Phx. Builders finally got a handle on their problem and corrected it with the much newer homes. There was a soil problem that wasn’t good for the type of construction then. I believe Gilbert also has and had the same type of issue with new homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
 
862 posts, read 2,485,215 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve heard horror stories about houses build during the beginning time when Anthem got started where the foundations cracked, houses moved and footings failed. Not just in Anthem but elsewhere in the suburbs around Phx. Builders finally got a handle on their problem and corrected it with the much newer homes. There was a soil problem that wasn’t good for the type of construction then. I believe Gilbert also has and had the same type of issue with new homes.
A home MUST BE built on a "Post tension slab". That is a mandatory item that cannot be overlooked. The soil expansion rates are bad and without a post tension slab, you are looking at serious trouble.

I do know that any of the newer homes in Anthem were built using post tension slabs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top