Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:34 PM

157 posts, read 453,166 times

Advertisements

I am planning on putting grass in my backyard at some point. But I have no idea how it works out here in the desert. I've heard if you want to keep it green year round, you need to plant a winter grass and a summer grass? And you do this every year? Or is there one type of grass that lasts year round? I don't have any idea what I need to do. Could someone give me a little how-to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 AM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Just wait until summer and put some bermuda grass in. You can do sod and it's ready to walk on within a week. Or you can have the stolons spread with a hydromulch, it takes a little longer for it to grow in, but it's a lot cheaper than sod. You can use seed if you get common bermuda, but you're much better off selecting one of the hybrids. Most of the names of hybrid grasses start with "tif", such as Tifway 419.

Bermuda grass goes dormant when the weather gets cold. It turns brown after the first frost of the winter. If you want your lawn to be green all year, you have to overseed it with rye grass every year in the fall. The rye will die off during the summer when it gets hot. If you are going to overseed, it's best to not do it the first winter after you put the bermuda in. Give the bermuda a couple growing seasons before you start doing that.

If you don't mind brown grass for a few months every year, don't overseed at all. The bermuda comes back every year as soon as the weather turns warm. The key isn't how hot it gets during the day, but rather how warm it is at night. It grows best when the night time temperature doesn't dip below 55*.

If you don't overseed, you'll save a lot of water, time, and money.

Here's a good website for you...........

Welcome to Western Sod!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 AM

157 posts, read 453,166 times
Awesome, thanks. So its burmuda for the summer, which goes dormant and brown in winter. Does that still require watering at all in the winter?

Then if I want green all year, overseed rye after a season or so after the burmuda. And would I have to reseed the rye every year to keep it up or does rye go dormant and return in the opposite cycle of bermuda?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
The winter rye is an annual and lives only one year.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
Does that still require watering at all in the winter?
You can get by with watering the bermuda once a month. If we have a rainy winter, you might not have to water at all.

Another advantage of not overseeding in the winter is being better able to get control of weeds while the bermuda is dormant.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
It does not take frost for bermuda to go dormant, it happens whether or not there is frost.

Rye is available in both annual and perennial varieties.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It does not take frost for bermuda to go dormant, it happens whether or not there is frost.
That's correct. That's why I said, "Bermuda grass goes dormant when the weather gets cold."

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
. Could someone give me a little how-to?
Pink rock is the best. Shows off green cactus nicely. Apache red is my second favorite. In other words, GRASS? Did I mention we are in the desert? First year looks ok. Second year starts to get a little better. Third year, crab grass starts to take over. Fourth year, "dang, do I have to mow 12 months out of the year! It's half dead, but I'm still mowing!" Fifth year, "D'ya suppose anyone would notice if i just let it die and painted it green?" Sixth year, "What color rock did that cowgirl say looked best?"

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Another very important thing to know is that you can't plant grass and expect God to water it for you in AZ or expect to water it with movable sprinkler devices and above ground hoses. A good underground automatic water irrigation system is important with enough sprinklers throughout the grass area. (Some may think that's funny, but we had a neighbor who planted grass without putting auto underground sprinkers in. Needless to say, the grass didn't last long. ) The sprinkler heads should be large enough to get the water well over the height of the grass in case you need more time between mowings and low enough for mowing the grass when they are not in use. If the sprinklers aren't high enough, then as the grass gets taller it can block some of the water spray causing some grass areas to get brown due to lack of enough water. Most likely your home has an auto unit already for a drip system for the plants and trees. Additional valve(s) will need to be added to that unit for the grass water lines because grass needs to be on a different watering schedule than plants and trees. If you haven't installed an underground sprinkler system before, I recommend getting a professional to do it. We did that, and then planted the sod ourselves. Most people in AZ put a decorative cement curbing around their grass areas, so you may want to do that too. I also recommend looking at AZ landscaping pictures on the internet for additional ideas. Grass can definitely look nice year after year, just ask a local plant nursery business for additional info about different types of grasses, fertilizers, etc. Many (all?) share that info for free. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area