U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am looking for any advice / good /bad etc.

I moved out here about 8 months ago. I am currently renting in Surprise.
I work from home, so commute time was not an issue for me. However, my boyfriend has now moved out here, and a commute time is an issue for him. We don't know where he will be working, but it looks like most jobs will be in the Scottsdale area.

He is used to a 45 minute commute, so anything at that or under is ideal.

We are pretty open to any area, although I do like what we have here in Surprise (size of house, near shopping, neighborhood, etc).

I am very concerned about safety since I am home alone all the time. I have started mapping out shootings, and other major crimes so that I know what areas to stay away from, but to be honest, it seems like these issues are all over the place. (Even Surprise, has had a couple of incidents). Like on the news last night, about the couple that caught someone breaking into their car (at their house, 124th ave and missouri) and the husband was shot and killed. These kinds of things scare me to death. And that area seems like a nice area, it is just super hard to tell.

I get the feeling that towns out here are like towns in NJ. They all have their good /bad and you just need to stay away from the bad side. But it is super hard to tell when you haven't lived here for a while.

We don't have kids, so school district is not an issue.

Our rent budget is $900-$1100 for a 3+ bedroom house.

Any suggestions? Please help

Thanks!
Janice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 AM

31,304 posts, read 31,201,792 times
Janice

You have some very good thoughts and have been doing the right thing so far with renting and looking for just the right spot to live. You mapping out crime in the metro area of Phoenix and the suburbs; has proven my point in other postings ~ crime is everywhere in and out of Phoenix. Yes there are special areas that are hot spots for crime and those you would always want to avoid, but still crime happens anyplace, just like towns in NJ and elsewhere. You can google the Phoenix police website and find hotspots for different types of crime although they don’t show the “suburbs”.

If it looks like most of the work your boyfriend is doing is in Scottsdale area, then I would think that moving to the east side anything east of the I-17 or SR51 would be a much better idea then living in the far northwest end of the areas. At least from the middle of the city on the north end (I-17 or SR51) he can commute to most places in the area and do it with less travel time gas and traffic. I would say to look in those areas and see what you find. Many different price ranges and neighborhoods to choose from and some of those areas are very safe, others are not, so you do need to do the homework as you have been.

There are lots of neighborhoods in your price range north of Cactus Rd or Shea and between I-17 and the area around SR51. Zip Codes 85029, 28, 85023, 22, 32, 85054,85027,24,50 seem to all fall into that area.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM

56 posts, read 49,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorty732 View Post
I am very concerned about safety since I am home alone all the time. I have started mapping out shootings, and other major crimes so that I know what areas to stay away from, but to be honest, it seems like these issues are all over the place.
I've been doing some research for a friend that was (but no longer) thinking of moving to Phoenix, and it appears that you're right. Phoenix is very unique as crime is not concentrated in one or two areas near an airport like many places, but is random throughout the metropolitan statistical area. This is very unlike many places and cities that definitely have safe areas that don't feel dangerous, but in Phoenix it seems that there is nowhere to escape from it.

The crime figures are high, and Arizona is definitely a dangerous state, and although some cities have higher crime, it is usually only in certain areas, while in Phoenix it happens anywhere. I think that I would rather live in a city that has higher overall crime but only in a few parts of the city, than in a city that has slightly lower crime that happens anywhere as in Phoenix.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,545,397 times
Well, rents are going up now everywhere, so it may be more difficult to find your price range in a lot of areas. For your price range, you might be in older homes in older neighborhoods. The nice thing about Surprise is that most everything is so new.

Many of the homes are very expensive now so the rents have to go up. I can look it up on the mls (right now it keeps freezing up and then I have restart my aol) and let you know what I find. Who knows, I may be completely wrong! All I know is that I was looking for a rental a couple of years ago in some of the areas that were mentioned above and it was HARD.

Places like Surprise, Avondale, ect have much cheaper rents and in new homes, as they were cheap to buy for investors. Something to keep in mind.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,545,397 times
Okay, I just looked it up on the MLS. There are only 3 homes in your price range in all of the areas that were mentioned above (Which I agree would be an ideal place for a commute). They were at $1000-1100, older small homes, in not the nicest areas.

However, there are 95 homes for rent $1200 and above. Anywhere from $1200-1500 would be what you'd be looking at in all of north/northeast phx, even some in scottsdale. Like I said before you'd have to be way out to get affordable rent (just like buying a house).

Even in northern areas of Peoria and Glendale will be the same. Homes are expensive and so is the rent. However driving from Surprise to Scottsdale would NOT be fun.

What about a townhouse/condo? You can find a 2 bedroom in your price range, though not many. Most will be again above your range. You will most likely have to downgrade from what you're used to, to move closer to his work.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 PM

3,806 posts, read 11,343,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Holland View Post
This is very unlike many places and cities that definitely have safe areas that don't feel dangerous, but in Phoenix it seems that there is nowhere to escape from it.

The crime figures are high, and Arizona is definitely a dangerous state, and although some cities have higher crime, it is usually only in certain areas, while in Phoenix it happens anywhere. I think that I would rather live in a city that has higher overall crime but only in a few parts of the city, than in a city that has slightly lower crime that happens anywhere as in Phoenix.
Some people on here must live in a different Phoenix then I do or something.

The way people talk, it's as if you cross the street and it's a crime infested place, cross it again, and it's safe, etc etc.

Either people watch the news to much or something but I have lived in Phoenix since 1992 and have never had problem, my family has never had problems, and no one I know has really had any problems. I say "really" because I do know some people who had their car stolen but they did live in an older, more run down area near 35th Ave and Bethany Home.

I've lived in the North and Northwest Valley since 1992 and would not consider anything west of 35th Ave and north of Bell as unsafe, especially once you go north of the 101 which is a very nice area especially in the Arrowhead area. Same goes for north of the 101 all the way east to Scottsdale, in the Desert Ridge area and really east of the 51 that is all a nice area.

That is a huge area I just outlined that I would consider a "safe" place...to say that crime is just everywhere is a bit out there.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
WOW, this is great information, and very helpful.
Especially the info on zipcodes , prices and streets (i.e. west of 35th and north of bell).

I need to get my map out and start sorting through all of this info.

I could go higher in rent, it is just that if my boyfriend hates it here and leaves, I don't want to have to pay anything over $1100 on my own. But I guess if we had to we could do $1200 - $1500.

I can't really consider a townhome because I have a dog and 3 cats. The dog weighs about 80 lbs and most townhomes/condos seem to have a weght limit. (BTW, I adopted the dog out here, and when I first got him he was 111 pounds, so he's not so big to me anymore ).

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM

3,806 posts, read 11,343,744 times
maps.google.com is a good way to look around the Phoenix area...or local.live.com which has bird's eyeview and you can see nice ariel shots of neighborhoods and such. I mean it's pretty easy to tell if a neighborhood is good or not...and you can look for a several miles in each direction to see what's going on.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The way people talk, it's as if you cross the street and it's a crime infested place, cross it again, and it's safe, etc etc.
What a great description! From the research I've done, and the posts I've read here, that is exactly what it seems like in a lot of the Phoenix metropolitan statistical area. A friend of mine in Phoenix also said the very same thing when she mentioned that there can be million dollar homes in one block, while meth labs and car theft is occurring in a dodgy apartment complex in the very next block.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Either people watch the news to much or something but I have lived in Phoenix since 1992 and have never had problem, my family has never had problems, and no one I know has really had any problems.
Of course the law of average states that the majority of people in any American city, even Detroit which is considered the most dangerous, won't ever encounter crime, so of coure there are many stories from people that have never experienced any such as yourself. That said, it still appears that Phoenix is a very dangerous city indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area