Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 22,992 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We're thinking of moving our family of 6 from Western PA to the Phoenix area (Surprise, Gilbert, or similar)...

The two biggest concerns we have at the moment are:

-Air Quality around Phoenix & suburbs- We've read that the air quality is 1 on a scale of 1-10, and that there are only 21% good air quality days.

-Prisons- We've also read that Maricopa county has the 4th largest prison system. Why so big? Are they mostly filled with illegals? Are they shipped in from other states?

Any input on either of these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
There are air quality issues here, like many places. I'm not sure where you got your data, but I'm not sure it's as bad as you indicate. This time of year can be not so great due to temperature inversions (cold air, with smog) trapped low by warmer air above) Those are worst in the morning, and dissipate during the day.

Not sure if you mean "jails" or "prisons". I'll assume you mean jails, which are populated with people awaiting trial or sentenced to a year or less. Maricopa County is essentially metro Phoenix, with Phoenix by itself being the fifth largest city. Not surprising they have a large jail system. Strict drug laws, so a lot of arrests/jailing pursuant to those. No, they are not shipped in to the jails from other states. (there is some of that in state prisons-- we also ship some OUT to other states) Yes, I assume, without hard numbers, that there is a significant percentage of undocumented people in the prisons. I would guess they are not the majority, but don't know for sure, and don't know offhand where you would find those statistics. I'll take a look and see what I find.

Not sure what you are exactly looking for in terms of a home city, It's a long way from Surprise to Gilbert!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,809 times
Maricopa County is huge (9,224 square miles) and has a population of about 4 million people (2/3 of the state's population lives somewhere in Metro Phoenix).

Of course air pollution is going to be bad given that this town sprawled to high hell and you can't go anywhere without a car, and yes, our jails are huge since they house everyone awaiting trial from Anthem to Gila Bend and back. Doesn't help that our sheriff is a whackjob, but that's a rant for a different time.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info, Buckeye and Observer...

Observer53, when you say "it's a long ways from Surprise to Gilbert"...I'm assuming you are referring to differences, not distance. What are the biggest differences as you see them?

Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeseek View Post

Observer53, when you say "it's a long ways from Surprise to Gilbert"...I'm assuming you are referring to differences, not distance. What are the biggest differences as you see them?

Thanks again!
They are talking about the distance they are 2 different extremes in the Valley.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Quote:
Hello!

We're thinking of moving our family of 6 from Western PA to the Phoenix area (Surprise, Gilbert, or similar)...

The two biggest concerns we have at the moment are:

-Air Quality around Phoenix & suburbs- We've read that the air quality is 1 on a scale of 1-10, and that there are only 21% good air quality days.

-Prisons- We've also read that Maricopa county has the 4th largest prison system. Why so big? Are they mostly filled with illegals? Are they shipped in from other states?

Any input on either of these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Air Quality for the entire Phoenix Metropolitan Area is less than pleasant at times but I doubt seriously if it is as bad as your figures indicate. Probably no better or worse than any other major city with too many people and vehicles.

As for prisons . . . remember, the counties in Arizona are HUGE by comparison to those in the states in your area.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM

I realize that they are about an hour apart from each other. From what we've read, they are both nice areas. Looking at a map, they both look like they are more or less suburbs of Phoenix. Again, the way it was phrased, I thought Observer was referring to differences- not distance.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
Quote:
I realize that they are about an hour apart from each other. From what we've read, they are both nice areas. Looking at a map, they both look like they are more or less suburbs of Phoenix. Again, the way it was phrased, I thought Observer was referring to differences- not distance.
In traffic it would be longer. But, it has to be distance, as that would be the most common comment. Surprise is pretty far NW and Gilbert is far SE.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
I was referring to distance. The Valley of the Sun is a big place. Your estimate of an hour between the two is pretty optimistic, and assumes no traffic. The newer portions of both towns are nice places. In choosing, a lot depends on where you will be working, and what other activities you plan on participating in, unless you really LOVE to drive and the price of gas is no object.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM

943 posts, read 2,522,992 times
When you refer to Maricopa County and prison, you really mean the jails. I believe most of these are concentrated in the downtown area. There is a State prison (Perryville) in Goodyear that houses approx. 3,700 female inmates. Also, downtown would be an intake facility for the men (State) and a Psych unit for men/women (State). The next closest prison would be in Buckeye (Lewis). I work at Perryville and only live 5-6 miles from it and it doesn't bother me a bit. Most people couldn't tell you where any of the jails/prisons are located and I'm sure I'm missing a few even though I work in the system. Also, there is a Federal Prison somewhere around North Phoenix. I wouldn't let that deter me a bit. It shouldn't affect you and you probably would have no idea where any of the facilities are located even after you have been here for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area