Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

After a 9 hr flight from the UK, landing at about 5pm on a tuesday, in Phoenix. where to stay ? dont miind driving a way north, we're headed to flagstaff and then onto utah and beyond. first night after a long flight, we need a half decent motel / b&b, not chained, within an hour or so of the airport.
we have driven in the us before, but have always avoided big towns. i want to drive straight to flagstaff, but not sure if thats realistic. .
Any advice would be most welcome.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Straight to Flagstaff from Phoenix is about two and a half, three hours at the most. I-17 bottlenecks north of the 101 up to the Carefree Highway, but other than that, its smooth sailing and there's really not much of interest between the two. Anthem and New River are practically suburbs of Phoenix, and Camp Verde/Cottonwood is only about 45 minutes from Flagstaff.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM

94 posts, read 324,653 times
Default Arcosanti

Arcosanti : Experience : Workshops : Guestrooms (http://www.arcosanti.org/expArcosanti/visit/overnight/main.html - broken link)

Here's a really cool spot you should check out! I stayed in the Sky Suite with a group of friends for a night and loved it.
Some info -
-It's on your route! You'll be taking the I-17 to get from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and Arcosanti is about half way there at Cordes Junction (the Prescott exit)
-It's not at all ritzy: no television, mini bar, little shampoos for you to use. Bring with you whatever you want to eat or drink. There's a full kitcken with dishes and glasses for you to use.
-Try to get there before dark. The Sky Suite is kind of hard to find and there's not much light to guide you. There are lots of walkways and weird staircases, so it's not handicap accessable.
-Think "Hippie" rather than "Classy"
-Think "Artistic" rather than "Unconventional"
-Go to the giftshop, and explore all over the place.
-Get a private room with a private bathroom if you really want to stay there and can't book the Sky Suite. I've never stayed in any other room, but I hear they are kind of creepy. (Book the Sky Suite. Trust me, it's amazing!)

Good luck, and have fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area