U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,389 posts, read 2,772,524 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody.

I'm going to be in town the second week of march to do some job scouting and apartment hunting in the greater Phoenix area.

We booked the air and a hotel in tempe for a good price.

I was going to bundle the car rental into the package, but I think I can do better for what they want.

I've noticed that any car rental at Sky Harbor Airport is VERY expensive. I assume there is some kind of Airport tax being charged there, would that be correct?

The car companies have locations about 5-8 miles away from the airport, and renting off airport would save me $150..

What would be the best way to get from the airport to one of these locations?

Any recommendations on car service, shuttles, or cab service?

What should I expect to pay to go less than 10 miles each way?

I'm trying to figure out if it will be a wash in cab fare, versus just paying they money.

Thanks,
Justin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,225,669 times
When my father-in -law comes to town he doesn't rent cars at the airport to because of the high taxes. Its like $250 more. We just take him to one of the local lots in Tempe. The is a Enterprise car rental in Tempe on Broadway near Hardy. Also some of the local Fry's have car rental kiosks like the one @ Southern & Rural.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 4,086,296 times
i flew in and used fox car rental. their facility was a dump, but it was cheap and the wranger i rented was very well kept. they had a shuttle that took us from and to the airport too. that was 3 years ago when i was making the same trek you are.

Cheap Car Rental - Discount Car Rentals - Airport Car Rental

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,788,730 times
Go to kayak.com or carrentals.com and see what they have. You may also be able to bid on a car at Priceline. If you find a good off airport price, then go to SuperShuttle and arrange for it to pick you up at the airport and take you to the rental lot. Get a good bead on the area around the airport so you aren't traveling all the way to North Phoenix or Goodyear to pick up a car. You could also stay at a hotel near the airport, take their free shuttle to the hotel, get situated and get your Super Shuttle later from the hotel to the rental lot. Also - check out the new light rail path. If you can find a car rental place/ hotel near the light rail, you can use that.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM

The new problem is that I'm arriving on a Sunday, and most of the off airport car rental locations are CLOSED on sunday.

Is that nuts or what.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 PM

919 posts, read 3,115,034 times
Did you contact your hotel? Some have shuttles. Most work with local hubs of rental car places. A tempe hotel should - in most cases - be working with a nearby Enterprise office, for example. They'll likely go out of their way to help you book through them. They say "they'll pick you up." Call them on it!

Also, be wary of the national booking site prices for PHX airport rentals. It's not the base prices that are high, it's the taxes and fees added at the end (in small print). This isn't a reflection of the rental companies, but those near the airport have to charge these additional fees by law - it funds special projects.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,268,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Hey Everybody.

I'm going to be in town the second week of march to do some job scouting and apartment hunting in the greater Phoenix area.

We booked the air and a hotel in tempe for a good price.

I was going to bundle the car rental into the package, but I think I can do better for what they want.

I've noticed that any car rental at Sky Harbor Airport is VERY expensive. I assume there is some kind of Airport tax being charged there, would that be correct?

The car companies have locations about 5-8 miles away from the airport, and renting off airport would save me $150..

What would be the best way to get from the airport to one of these locations?

Any recommendations on car service, shuttles, or cab service?

What should I expect to pay to go less than 10 miles each way?

I'm trying to figure out if it will be a wash in cab fare, versus just paying they money.

Thanks,
Justin
Go with Airport Motors (there not at the airport) they are all around the cheapest and they rent little toyota corrollas. they will pick you up and drop you off at sky harbor

Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM

Hey Guys.

I think I have it figured out. It came to me while laying in bed last night, lol.

If I rent a car at an off airport location, then return it at the airport, then I will only need to purchase one cab ride, and I avoid all the fees.

Sure enough thats how the rental car agencies are pricing it.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 AM

551 posts, read 2,538,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Hey Guys.

I think I have it figured out. It came to me while laying in bed last night, lol.

If I rent a car at an off airport location, then return it at the airport, then I will only need to purchase one cab ride, and I avoid all the fees.

Sure enough thats how the rental car agencies are pricing it.
Keep in mind that there might be a surcharge for returning the car at a different location from where you picked it up. Plus, you might also have to pay a surcharge for returning a car to the airport location. So ask them first (before you rent) if they have these types of charges.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM

I just booked with Hertz Guys.

Pickup is on W Indian School Road, Return is at the airport.

I paid the same rate as I would have booking off airport and returning off airport.

5 days for 144 dollars, the cheapest on airport location was 299 dollars including all taxes/fees.

I'll take a cab or a supershuttle the 8 miles, probably about 25 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or