Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM

104 posts, read 288,712 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Phoenix before the next big gold rush of people. I don't have a job yet, but currently work in Denver as a city truck driver.Presumably I will be doing the same type or work in Phoenix. I know I couldfigure out this puzzle of what cities are best and what cities are worseif I read tons of posts, but was hoping for a crash course. EventuallyI plan to buy a house. But once I get there I will rent. My idea of a worsesuburb or city would be one where the demographics are mainly hispanic,and as such if I bought a house here, my neighbors would be all hispanic.I am white and prefer to be around a majority of white people. Aside fromthat, I like suburbs that are clean, safe, and have nice housing subdivisions.I don't want to live in a city where the housing is mostly in the form ofmobile homes, modular homes, etc. I hope my description made sense. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 65,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
I want to move to Phoenix before the next big gold rush of people. I don't have a job yet, but currently work in Denver as a city truck driver.Presumably I will be doing the same type or work in Phoenix. I know I couldfigure out this puzzle of what cities are best and what cities are worseif I read tons of posts, but was hoping for a crash course. EventuallyI plan to buy a house. But once I get there I will rent. My idea of a worsesuburb or city would be one where the demographics are mainly hispanic,and as such if I bought a house here, my neighbors would be all hispanic.I am white and prefer to be around a majority of white people. Aside fromthat, I like suburbs that are clean, safe, and have nice housing subdivisions.I don't want to live in a city where the housing is mostly in the form ofmobile homes, modular homes, etc. I hope my description made sense. Thanks.
Well if you don't like the hispanic race, then you are probably not going to like much of any area in the Phoenix metro area unless you are VERY rich and can afford to buy a house say in the Troon development or certain Scottsdale areas.
I am also a truck driver and do local driving only, which may have nothing to do with this but there is some kind of connection here anyway.
I have found that hispanics are just like anyone else - some families and individiuals living in your neighborhood of that particular race are slobs, arrogant, crass, stuck-up, mouthy and cocky, while others are just normal people like everyone else.

Phoenix has manufactured housing all over the place, but nothing overwhelming. It's mostly site-built homes with stuccoed walls that I find to be very cheap, inferior construction to be honest. They used to build with block until block got very expensive. Homes built with stucco sides have to be repaired (cracks) periodically or even frequently and I just don't like it.

I personally live in a 2,000 square foot manufactured home that I bought last year - it's very beautiful and inside the house you can't tell it's anything but a regular house. That's the way they make them nowadays, not like the junk they built 30 years ago. I could have had a site built home put on this property as well, but it would have taken much longer to complete and I am perfectly happy with the end result of what I have here.

Regardless, you might want to take a look at the job market here for LTL as many companies are not hiring new-hires but, instead, are scaling back greatly. There are plenty of LTL's operating here, but I talk to a lot of drivers from different companies frequently and it doesn't sound good for someone possibly trying to come into an area trying to start afresh.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I think I know where you're coming from and here's a crash course of Phoenix as a whole:

Scottsdale/Paradise Valley- Upper class areas with home prices to reflect that. Paradise Valley has a very high concentration of wealth, almost every home is at least $1 million and some even $20 million+. Very white area, mostly executives and their families with some retirees and childless couples also. Scottsdale is a little bit harder since there are around 240,000 people living here but South Scottsdale has always been considered the "undesirable" area of Scottsdale with older homes and some seedy areas. Central Scottsdale has the business districts and shopping areas. Central Scottsdale has quite a few homes in the $400K-$600K range. North Scottsdale is the newest area of Scottsdale and the furthest out but it's also the most expensive area with most homes going for at least $500K+. Most living in Scottsdale are middle aged couples and wealthy retirees, not many singles.

Gilbert/Chandler- Very family-oriented areas with the good majority of homeowners having kids. Quite a few nice parks in both cities and each city is also newer so you won't find many older homes. Most homes range from $250K-$600K with some reaching $1 million+.

Mesa- Sketchy area with quite a bit of gang violence. Some parts are nice, some parts are dumpy so it's had to categorize the area but personally it isn't for me. It's a fairly inexpensive area so it's popular with young homeowners but it does have quite a few hispanics so you may want to stray away from Mesa. Most homes run from $150K to $400K.

If you have any questions just post them and I'll try to help.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
NE Phoenix: This is the area immediately adjacent to North Scottsdale. Depending which side of the street you are on and what time of day it is, you will either be in Phoenix or Scottsdale. Areas around Kierland and Desert Ridge.

That said, as far as your "neighbors", I will tell you what I have observed and have seen other posters mention-neighborhoods here will largely segregate on economic level rather than race/ethnicity. This part of town isn't cheap. The median annual income for I think it was 2007 was something over $100K in my zip code, so these arent slackers and bums. For a single-family detached "nothing spectacular" you are probably looking in the $400K north give or take range from what I have seen. There are condos down the street that start listing....at $700K. You may be able to find some more reasonable condos, or if you can luck out on an excellent deal on a foreclosure. So all depends. Location, location, location. If your neighbors can afford to live here and maintain their property-why would it matter? Tho that said, this area is definitely still majority white by a very large margin.

This is "live everyday like you are on vacation" land. Golf courses, spas, shopping, restaurants--and numerous other places to spend your disposable income. Of course along with that comes the folks who really are on vacation (aka tourists) lol! I can buy a Jaguar, go to a resort, play a round of golf (if I knew how to play lol!), eat Kobe beef, take in a movie and some 150 year old Tequila--without really needing to drive if I didn't mind a bit of a walk.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
the native population here are hispanic~ only the upstart newcomers are white~ if you do not like hispanic stay where you are~ you will not like here~ unless your income is in the $500,000 a year range

Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
I suggest you contact some local members of the KKK or Aryan Brotherhood. They would be the best source of information for a person looking for neighborhoods full of white racists.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 64,815 times
im not racist as well, but when i look for a place to live, one of my areas of concern are the number of hispanics or blacks. Ideally (and if i can afford it) i would want to live in a place with a high population of whites/asians.

upper class/safe neighborhoods are typically associated with whites and/or asians

run-down or ghetto neighborhoods typically have high populations of hispanics and blacks

it's a fact ppl, nothing to do with being racists, stop trying to sound politically correct or defend your own ppl when you know they have their problems, focus your energy on trying to solve the problems with minorities rather than defend them.
im tired of all this bull of ppl trying to sound politically correct

the facts are out there, high populations of hispanics is associated with high levels of crime, graffiti, noise, gangs, 30 ppl living in one house, illegals, etcc....

i understand there are the acceptable hispanics as well who are educated and such.

also every race has their good and bad types, but it seems like with hispanics itd s lot more prevelant

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
A better way to state it is "I want an area of higher incomes and higher educational attainment." That is all that is really revelevant here. Phoenix neighborhoods break down along economic/education lines. With only a couple of exceptions, in a given "class" you are going to find a mix of all kinds and colors. If you are indeed looking for neighborhoods segregated along color or ethnic lines, Phoenix is not your place.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 37,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-raaad View Post
im not racist as well, but when i look for a place to live, one of my areas of concern are the number of hispanics or blacks. Ideally (and if i can afford it) i would want to live in a place with a high population of whites/asians.

upper class/safe neighborhoods are typically associated with whites and/or asians
Before you declare that you are not racist, you may want to consider the definition of racist. Just because being racist is unpopular and unacceptable does not mean that you are not racist.

Also, Hispanic is not a "race." The term Hispanic was created by the US Census Bureau, and it describes the language spoken at home: Spanish. Using the term Hispanic to describe people that you hate does not make you more politically correct.

To get back to the topic: West Mesa is the only bad neighborhood that i can mention with first hand experience. The area is bad because there is a lot gang activity, drug (meth) use, unemployment, and homelessness.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

28 posts, read 64,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A better way to state it is "I want an area of higher incomes and higher educational attainment." That is all that is really revelevant here. Phoenix neighborhoods break down along economic/education lines. With only a couple of exceptions, in a given "class" you are going to find a mix of all kinds and colors. If you are indeed looking for neighborhoods segregated along color or ethnic lines, Phoenix is not your place.

thats the political correct way to say it...

when you go into the "hood" or "bario" and u hear loud music (mostly rap or mariachi) and there is gang graffiti everywhere, police sirens, run-down look, see ppl with baggy pants and long white shirts or watever gangbangers wear nowadays....

.....i would bet my lifesavings any day of the week that it's a 99.99% chance to be either a high population of blacks or mexicans.

therefore when i look for ideal places to live and see even a significant number of said minorities in the area, it raises a red flag due to association. dont confuse this with me judging all of them due to a few (i think most). i simply want to keep myself away from trouble and do not feel obligated to "give them a chance" or find out how to "appreciate other races", nor do i have the time because i have a full time job and use my time productively, unlike so many of the afermentioned minorities who sit around all day and drink forties, make babies and get involved in many illegal activities.

you also said:

in a given "class" you are going to find a mix of all kinds and colors.

if you look up the numbers you will see that in th upper class it is a significant number of caucasians and asians compared to blacks and mexicans. Im shure that there will be a few educated, high income families of either minorities. There are also poor whites and asians who are involved in crime and are detrimental to society, but they are few compared to the entire population.

I am not spreading lies or making sh*t up based on my opinions, these are know facts, documented, recorded and that most ppl would know.

instead of trying to sound politically correct and defending ppl and trying to show that your tolerant (tolerant to crime? drugs? poverty?) why not address the problems with minorities and why only few of them make it up the corporate ladder of life.

some of you are dying to know if i am white so you could just call me racist or if im asian so you can do the same
what if i was black, educated and make a six figure salary? would i be racist them. What if i was of mexican descent and working a full time job and going to school at the same time. it doesnt really matter

what i am is dissapointed when i see ppl from any race who have that ghetto mentality that they are victims and it's not their fault when they are just lazy to go to school or have a full-time job because of their incompetence or just the fact that they cannot function in a normal society and interact with other ppl in their environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area