Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

102 posts, read 414,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
You will have to goto court and bring proof of both or that will be one hefty fine.
That happened to me on a routine stop while I was exiting a freeway many years ago. DO NOT ignore this. Take the proof to court and be done with it. I forgot to go and ended up paying hundreds of dollars to remove a license suspension and it affected my insurance points too. It's routine. Just take care of it and don't give it another thought.

As for the future, make photocopies of everything and keep photocopies in the vehicle. Originals stay in a file at home. It's worked for me, for those who doubt this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
ALWAYS GO TO COURT.

RULE 1, 2 AND 3.

A police officer can only control the level of the ticket(A,B,C) but not the fine amount for that offense. If you go before you a judge, you really never have anything to lose. Even if the OP didn't actually have insurance or registration, going before the judge and copping a plea usually results in the fines GREATLY being reduced.

I've seen $700-800 worth of fines dropped to $120 total. I've seen some fines completely eliminated. No matter the situation, you generally will come away a lot better by going to court.

As far as what the OP is asking, he's going to have to go to court during regular business hours and bring proof of insurance and registration.

Last edited by Juram; 11-23-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannn View Post
My grandson made an elegal U turn in Scottsdale, got a ticket and for some reason didn't have his proof of Ins. in the car. He had lost his job, didn't go to court (which was dumb). He went to court yesterday, took his proof of Ins. with him and the judge didn't want to see or hear anything. He got a $1,500.00 ticket and lost his license. Is this normal? How is he suppose to look for a job and how is he suppose to get to work, N Scottsdale doesn't have bus service? We need help!!!

He should have gone to court in the first place. At this point, he's on the hook for the full amount of the fine plus other assorted fines. Once again ALWAYS GO TO COURT. He could appeal the judge's decision, claim some sort of hardship or what not, but your grandson could have made this all go away by simply mailing in his proof of insurance. $1.20 for a Certified Letter would have saved all this grief.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM

13 posts, read 31,732 times
I was lucky then because about 2 years ago I forgot my tags were due and got pulled over only 2 days after they expired. Though Ive had the same insurance for 10 years now, my renewed card was sitting on my counter, I got only a 'fix-it' ticket and took everything I needed, to the court house, paid the fine and was done. Luckily, they didnt take my car!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 15,318 times
Default need answer

hello im new here. i need some brutally honest answers to a problem i have to deal with. so im gonna lay it all out.

i had a fender bender with someone. it was my fault. i didn't have proof of insurance.(i thought it was in my glove compartment but it wasn't) plus my policy from the insurance i had was cancelled cause of unemployment at the time so it still wouldn't have mattered i think. Also I just started earning enough to get car insurance. I got 3 tickets.( 1. no proof of insur( 2. too close to car (3. speed unreasonable under conditions (it was a snowing early so the road had black ice) Now. just recently I got insurance with a new policy and a new insurances ID paper. I went to the court early but they said I must show up for my real court date but my date to go there is not until next month. So Im gonna start saving up money just in case.

I was wondering what to expect. How can i keep my license from getting suspended and how much do you think I would have to pay? Does me having insurance now have any postive effects on how my case will payout. Im 20 years old so im just starting to learn the ropes of life and how this stuff goes. But Im prepared to accept the consequences of my actions. Please any answers to my questions?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 15,115 times
I had the same thing happen. I just had to go to the Clerk of Court and show that I had both insurance and current registrations at the time of getting pulled over. However I was told that I would still have to pay $60 for not having the documents with me at the time of being pulled over.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green lantern2814 View Post
hello im new here. i need some brutally honest answers to a problem i have to deal with. so im gonna lay it all out.

i had a fender bender with someone. it was my fault. i didn't have proof of insurance.(i thought it was in my glove compartment but it wasn't) plus my policy from the insurance i had was cancelled cause of unemployment at the time so it still wouldn't have mattered i think. Also I just started earning enough to get car insurance. I got 3 tickets.( 1. no proof of insur( 2. too close to car (3. speed unreasonable under conditions (it was a snowing early so the road had black ice) Now. just recently I got insurance with a new policy and a new insurances ID paper. I went to the court early but they said I must show up for my real court date but my date to go there is not until next month. So Im gonna start saving up money just in case.

I was wondering what to expect. How can i keep my license from getting suspended and how much do you think I would have to pay? Does me having insurance now have any postive effects on how my case will payout. Im 20 years old so im just starting to learn the ropes of life and how this stuff goes. But Im prepared to accept the consequences of my actions. Please any answers to my questions?
Congratulations on being very honest and admitting that you were wrong and willing to accept the consequences.

Being very honest with the judge and letting him/her know you're have changed and are willing to accept the consequences will probably go a long way.

Having insurance now is certainly in your favor. I would suggest asking the judge to impose the minimum on you and allow you to keep your license.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
I got tagged for no proof of insurance a few weeks ago. I had an ID card with me, but it had expired and I had forgotten to put the new card in the glovebox. I could have pulled up the PDF of the current one on my iPhone, but didn't think of it in time. Anyway, I requested a hearing for the speeding ticket and faxed in a copy of my insurance card. Got a letter back with a court date for the speeding ticket and and another letter saying the insurance charge had been dismissed.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 16,226 times
I was given a ticket for no insurance after I showed the officer the card from my insurance company. He said the Az DMV had no record of the Insurance--AAA. Thr car is financed. Who notifies the Az dept of motorvehicles of the insurance coverage?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 16,226 times
Can I just show up in court and get put on the calendar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area