Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM

108 posts, read 175,941 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is right in the middle of the scorching Sonaran desert with temperatures routinely in the 110s to even 120s. Now I know humidity is also low so its not as bad as it seems but if you were outdoors without climate control, there's no way you'd survive for long.

I am thinking that prior to the advent of electricity and invention of AC, Phoenix as a metropolitan city is simply impossible. It could still be a "winter" city as the winters are pleasant but certainly not a permanent year-round city. In contrast, big metropolitan areas like NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc have obviously existed before the modern era as all year round cities well before electricity, AC and modern technology were available.

Is Phoenix livable without AC? Or is Phoenix only possible as a city built in modern times because of the existence of AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoranrat View Post
Phoenix is right in the middle of the scorching Sonaran desert with temperatures routinely in the 110s to even 120s. Now I know humidity is also low so its not as bad as it seems but if you were outdoors without climate control, there's no way you'd survive for long.

I am thinking that prior to the advent of electricity and invention of AC, Phoenix as a metropolitan city is simply impossible. It could still be a "winter" city as the winters are pleasant but certainly not a permanent year-round city. In contrast, big metropolitan areas like NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc have obviously existed before the modern era as all year round cities well before electricity, AC and modern technology were available.

Is Phoenix livable without AC? Or is Phoenix only possible as a city built in modern times because of the existence of AC?
Phoenix was populated long before AC. Roads were built, rails were laid, fields were cleared, tilled, and farmed long before AC was invented. In fact, there is evidence of prehistoric civilizations throughout the Phoenix area.

You have it backwards, actually. Humans are well-adapted to heat. It's cold our hairless selves can't abide. We cool by evaporation. It is actually quite bearable in the shade in 110 plus as humidities are low and cooling is efficient. Humans can survive as long as there is food and water in any hot spot on earth. But they will die without a source of heat in cold climates. Phoenix may not be pleasant without ac, but it hardly is not livable. Thousands here work in outdoor occupations throughout summer. In addition, there is an abundance of life in the deserts other than people, including rabbits, deer, coyotes and other mammals. Chickens and cows and horses are not kept in the house in summer either.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-20-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
People live here long before AC was invented so your question is stupid. Also, an a modern city AC makes it comfortable to live here.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
That's exactly one of the reasons the Phoenix area grew so rapidly after WWII. Air conditioning became mainstream, and a standard feature in most homes/businesses. Before then, only a few thousand residents lived in & around Phoenix, and it was a very small area. The average person cannot possibly live comfortably here during the summer without A/C. The problem is that with the sprawl came massive amounts of concrete & asphalt, which ADD to the heat ... and thus, contribute to increased A/C usage.

Quote:
Is Phoenix livable without AC?
Not in the summer (June through September).

Quote:
Or is Phoenix only possible as a city built in modern times because of the existence of AC?
Absolutely, without a doubt, YES.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
It's livable. No one in their right mind would want to do it, but it can be done.
We survived on just Evap until we got A/C a few years ago. I wouldn't want to go back to that.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Quote:

Phoenix *grew* a lot with the existence of A/C, but it didn't preclude the existence of Phoenix - the city was here long, long before A/C, and people lived here long before there was a Phoenix too. What's more, people can actually adapt better to heat - especially a dry heat - as long as they have water. It's cold and humidity that made places like Chicago unbearable until the advent of heat and A/C. So yes, Phoenix is livable in the summer without A/C. It wouldn't be *pleasant* but it's *livable*, just as Chicago would be livable in the winter without heat. And, if anything, Chicago's cold would potentially be more deadly.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM

65 posts, read 161,686 times
For “average person” term describing very dependant, fitness lazy and tending to blame/complain about everything and anything living without AC in Phoenix would be hell. Last summer I spend few days in desert… walking not just sitting next to cooler with beer. After I came home I had to change temp setting to 90 instead of 81 for some time to let me adapt to cooler temperature. If you healthy you can adapt, no problem.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegk View Post
For “average person” term describing very dependant, fitness lazy and tending to blame/complain about everything and anything living without AC in Phoenix would be hell. Last summer I spend few days in desert… walking not just sitting next to cooler with beer. After I came home I had to change temp setting to 90 instead of 81 for some time to let me adapt to cooler temperature. If you healthy you can adapt, no problem.
Good point about the relative temps. I think a good deal of the heat problem people have comes from the thermal shock of walking from 70-something to 110-something as we exit a building. I have noticed that the heat doesn't really bother that much when I am camping or fishing one of the desert lakes and I adjust with it as the day wears on. The sun is awful though, and you gotta have some shade out there.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
it is certainly livable with no ac. If AC were never invented then i don't think the population would be as large as it is now. I have several friends who have no AC in their cars and couldn't car less.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
it is certainly livable with no ac. If AC were never invented then i don't think the population would be as large as it is now. I have several friends who have no AC in their cars and couldn't car less.

Why can't they car any less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area