Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:44 PM

270 posts, read 1,110,012 times

Advertisements

I have 2 suggestions, besides helping keeping the weeds from overgrowing:

Watch out for the green pool: if there is a pool, you may report it if it turns green. Whoever owns the property will have to deal with the city/ county about the cost of cleaning it up after that.

Watch out for the phone books, newspapers, ads on the door knobs and such: stuff like these laying around the front of house screams "vacant home!" If you and your neighbors pick them up as much as you can, you could prevent this house being broken in and having to call the police later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,005 times
Quote:
"HOA can assess penalties against the bank per the HOA agreement and those penalties are enforceable."
Translation: the HOA can fine the banks, who probably are six figures in the hole on the property, and are therefore not exactly intimidated by some $50 fines. If the front of a house is overgrown, clean it up if it bothers you. Otherwise, you will probably be looking at the weeds, flyers for the next year or so. There are a few conscientious REO managers. A few.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 968 times
I am a home owner or should I say in process of foreclosure...2 months behind and have heard it can take 3, 6 to one year for all this to happen but if I dont live there anymore who is respnsible for the upkeep of the yard mowing and also what happens if some damage is done with property while behind on mortgage and havent gotten letters yet on foreclsure and havent gotten anything on bank buying it back etc since my first time doing foreclsoure????

Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles1952 View Post
I am a home owner or should I say in process of foreclosure...2 months behind and have heard it can take 3, 6 to one year for all this to happen but if I dont live there anymore who is respnsible for the upkeep of the yard mowing and also what happens if some damage is done with property while behind on mortgage and havent gotten letters yet on foreclsure and havent gotten anything on bank buying it back etc since my first time doing foreclsoure????
It is my understanding that you are still responsible for HOA fees and any damage to the home until the bank takes it over. I may be wrong, but that is what a former neighbor told us.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
Yes, until official transfer occurs to the bank - however long that takes - you are still responsible. Many have taken the approach "what do I care? My credit trashed already etc from the foreclosure".

What they find out though is that the HOAs are MUCH more of a pain about getting the money than other debts - since as stated most are in financial hurt right now. SO, to keep away the "hassle factor it may be worth it to just keep paying that HOA bill...

Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Yes, until official transfer occurs to the bank - however long that takes - you are still responsible. Many have taken the approach "what do I care? My credit trashed already etc from the foreclosure".

What they find out though is that the HOAs are MUCH more of a pain about getting the money than other debts - since as stated most are in financial hurt right now. SO, to keep away the "hassle factor it may be worth it to just keep paying that HOA bill...
It's not just the dues, though. They levy fines for not taking care of the lot, then hire someone to do it and charge you. Then they come after you for all of it plus legal fees. They get a judgment against you and then garnish your pay. Don't mess with the HOA.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM

164 posts, read 772,482 times
Note that HOAs aren't just being cheap or lazy -- just because it's abandoned doesn't automatically give them any legal right to do anything with someone else's private property! [Unless there is some language in the CC&Rs giving them the right to do the work and then bill the owner after so many warnings.] Unless they're stupid they aren't going to open themselves to that sort of liability is something gets damaged, etc. On the other hand, if you and some neighbors decide to do it on the sly, that's your choice.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
Note that HOAs aren't just being cheap or lazy -- just because it's abandoned doesn't automatically give them any legal right to do anything with someone else's private property! [Unless there is some language in the CC&Rs giving them the right to do the work and then bill the owner after so many warnings.] Unless they're stupid they aren't going to open themselves to that sort of liability is something gets damaged, etc. On the other hand, if you and some neighbors decide to do it on the sly, that's your choice.
Our HOA after so many letters and warnings will have their landscape people come and take care of the front yards. The owner or the bank will get a $3++ bill for services rendered. We have also had a few streets hit pretty hard and the neighborhood chipped in and cleaned up the fronts. That was a nice thing and I hope that continues.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles1952 View Post
I can speak from experience. As long as you are the legal owner of the property, you are responsible for continuing to pay your HOA dues and you are responsible for the home. This includes damage done to it, so don't cancel your homeowner's insurance. If the place burns down prior to going to auction, and you do not have insurance, you are screwed. Just because you no longer live there does not mean you are no longer responsible.

I lost a condo to foreclosure in 2009. I did not pay the mortgage on it for 15 months before it went to auction. I moved away 12 months before it went to auction and consulted a lawyer about the HOA dues and found I was still responsible for them. I continued to pay 12 months worth of HOA dues (at $248 per month, you do the math ) in order to avoid a lien. I attempted to sell the property via short sale, but two potential buyers backed out after reading the CC&Rs. I got screwed by the HOA in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area