Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 AM

430 posts, read 1,411,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I really don't think your "attention grabber" was appropriate.

-Signed: "Help I'm white and live in Phoenix!"
Must we be so serious all the time? the poster probably has heard that there are not that many black people in Phoenix, so she was concerned about attitudes. I don't think most people even pay attention to mixed couples anymore. It dosen't seem to be a big deal here in Phoenix that I have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 19,889 times
Faith Christian Center (FCC) is a phenomenal (non-denominational) church! It's very diverse and welcoming. You literally come as you are. I LOVE this church!
http://www.fcc-phx.com/

Pilgrim Rest Baptist church is a large church in the black community here. They have thousands of members and the seats are always packed. However, I should say that it's very "churchy", if you know what I mean.

I used to get my hair done by Brandon at Frankies. It was right of the I-10 by Arizona Mills. I'm not sure if he still works there but you could give it a shot.

Also, interracial dating is pretty common here. I don't think its anything to worry about.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 AM

307 posts, read 955,379 times
Cool coffee house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlisa View Post
I was taught in school to start with an attention grabber. So I hoped it worked without being offensive. I really am black but most of my questions have nothing to do with that.

Ok, so my husband and I decided to fly out to phoenix next week and look for a place. No longer going to try and do it remotely. So now I'm interested in knowing more interesting things. Any recommendations or thoughts on the following?

My husband happens to be White. Aside from the occasional stares we really haven't had any problems in the Midwest. Just curious do you see many mixed race couples in the phoenix area?

How is the job market for the I.T. field? Wondering how difficult it would be for me to find work? I do mainly I.T. Support. My husband just became a licensed lawyer. Any info of the Job market for entry-level lawyers?

Where do the Artists and Theater people hang out? We love hanging out with people who enjoy things like music, photography, theater - the arts.

Anyone know of a good Non-denominational church? We will probably be moving to the North or North/East side of phoenix. In addition to having an awesome and inspiring pastor, I'm looking for a church that has a good choir (wanna join) and don't care if you wear jeans! Would love a mix of people too.

Also, looking for a good coffee house hot spot that is not Starbucks?

Thanks everyone !!!
I'm not sure which part of town you're looking at - try "Bad Ass Coffee" in Surprise on Litchfield Rd, North of Greenway Rd.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,178,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDish2000 View Post
I'm not sure which part of town you're looking at - try "Bad Ass Coffee" in Surprise on Litchfield Rd, North of Greenway Rd.
Is it really called that? I've never seen that coffee place......and i'm a bad ass

Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM

116 posts, read 369,050 times
Why is it that many black people always seem to be the racist ones? Who cares how many mixed race couples are here? Will that change crime, or anything relevant?
The attn grabber was weak. id make more sense posting that i had a burrito for breakfast and i cant stop farting.

i think theres an i.t. website for i.t. jobs. (www.dice.com) i.t. support should be all over, i hear godaddy.com is hiring in that area.

church,... if you have good faith you will find one.

hairdresser?..., look in the yellow pages or internet. i dont go to one just because someone says it was good. (unless i see their hair and get the hairdressers name first).
i have a friend that is female (and black cuz that matters to you), she goes to league barber in avondale, az.

about being black in a prodominantly white city, ten years ago, a co-worker dealt with hate crimes
for being black and building a home for her and her husband and family in gilbert, az. im sure there are ignorant prejudice people in any city. just stay away from them.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,642,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33TZOR View Post
Why is it that many black people always seem to be the racist ones? Who cares how many mixed race couples are here? Will that change crime, or anything relevant?
The attn grabber was weak. id make more sense posting that i had a burrito for breakfast and i cant stop farting.

i think theres an i.t. website for i.t. jobs. (www.dice.com) i.t. support should be all over, i hear godaddy.com is hiring in that area.

hairdresser?..., look in the yellow pages or internet. i dont go to one just because someone says it was good. (unless i see their hair and get the hairdressers name first).
i have a friend that is female (and black cuz that matters to you), she goes to league barber in avondale, az.

about being black in a prodominantly white city, ten years ago, a co-worker dealt with hate crimes
for being black and building a home for her and her husband and family in gilbert, az. im sure there are ignorant prejudice people in any city. just stay away from them

Wouldn't the point be of her asking the questions is to see what areas to be on the lookout for? That doesn't make her racist as you have just shown by the information you provided. It's a concern, not a racist remark.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,333,105 times
Quote:

for being black and building a home for her and her husband and family in gilbert, az. im sure there are ignorant prejudice people in any city. just stay away from them.
I didn't think her post was racist. Asking about how mixed race couples are accepted is relevant because in some parts of the country, it does influence how you are treated. And churches vary considerably as well and it takes more than "good faith" to find what she was looking for. How is a yellow pages ad more beneficial in finding a good barber than by going with one's recommendation? So you would rather trust the ad put forth by the business saying they are great rather than someone who personally recommends a business through their experience? Regarding racism, it would be nice if the solution to racism is to simply avoid it but unfortunately the solution is never that simple; it's not like avoiding the cereal section in aisle 8 at Fryes.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM

22 posts, read 134,770 times
Quote:

I'm sorry you feel this way. My attention grabber was not intended to be racist but honest. I am black. I am moving to Arizona and I do need helpful information. As an African-American with a White husband, it is important for us to live in a community where we can feel comfortable. We want to be able to enjoy not only our surrondings but the people in it and want to be around people who can enjoy us as well. Which to me is just as relevant as the crime stats. I know everyplace has its issues and there are bad apples in every crowd but it is the overall spirit and heart of a place that makes it what it is and that is what we were seeking. People can live wherever they want. I find it very "Relevant" to find a place where you can feel that the quality of your life, as defined by you, will not be diminished. It is no different from not wanting (at this time in our lives)to live in an area where the average age of the residents are 90 years old and there is no nightlife.

Also, as an African-American, it is important that resources to meet my needs are available. I have lived in areas where there were no other people of color. As a result, there were no resources like Black hair care products in the stores. I had to drive 20+ miles to get a perm-kit or the right shampoo for black hair or an hour to find someone with skills to do my hair. Believe it or not, not everyone can do black-hair. It's not a race thing. It's an experience thing. So yes, I would like to find and hopefully be close to those who have the experience. For me, the yellow pages does not adequately reflect that and again, for me, word of mouth and reputation goes along way and I find the best way to get that is by "Talking" to other people. If the yellow pages helps you to make "informed" decisions then by all means. You go ahead at work that.

And lastly, as far as finding a church. It was my awseome "Good Faith" that led me to this forum to ask for a recommendation.

I appreciate all of you who have provided helpful information. It is not easy moving to area where you don't know anyone or alot about the areas. But if the postings and the feedback I have received from just about all of you is a reflection of the kind of people I might meet in Arizona, I know I'm going to love being there!!!!

Thanks for keeping it real!

Last edited by mzlisa; 03-06-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

47 posts, read 119,513 times
There are lots of mixed couples in the Phoenix area, so I don't think you'll run into any problems...Life Church in Mesa is a great non-denominational church (www.lifechurchtv.com) I'm not sure if they have a choir though...As for hair google "long hair care forum" and you will find everything you ever needed to know regarding stylists, as well as how to take care of your own hair. I live in Germany right now (I am African-American), so I can appreciate your concern for your hair. The site I mentioned above helped me to care for my own hair, and now it is longer (bra strap length) and healthier than it has ever been!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM

173 posts, read 466,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I spend a lot of time in public at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. See a lot of mixed races. I expect a lot of mixed races near ASU and perhaps near Luke Air Force Base.

I think Phoenix is more open to mixed races than the midwest.
This is true; considering that the black population here is only about 12%, I see a lot more mixed couples than I did in NYC.

My husband is Asian and I'm part hispanic (Cuban) and no one has ever asks us about being a mixed couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area