U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,366 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal. It's going to sound familiar to many of you: My husband and I are uprooting from Toledo, OH and heading to Phoenix.

The husband has family in Phoenix (brother and his family) and has been in love with the city for many, many years. We're still young and don't have kids and figured it'd be a good time to up and go.

The big negative is that we DON'T have any jobs lined up. Husband is heading out in mid March to find something first while I keep my job here in Ohio. Hopefully he finds something quickly because otherwise we might be in trouble.

I've been very negative about the situation and everyone here in Ohio has been very negative about the situation. We've both been kind of idealist about it and now that the time is here, where the real action is going to take place, I'm nervous this is a terrible decision.

Is this crazy? I've read the forums a bit and I see many people have moved, but most of them moved a few years ago before the economy was real bad, and many had jobs already lined up. So...can someone give me some positive advice or is this a doomed decision?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 AM

674 posts, read 2,422,461 times
You might need to have several thousand dollars saved up first.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

203 posts, read 464,349 times
There are 0 jobs out here; good luck.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM

100 posts, read 317,311 times
Hello, fellow Toledoan! Well, actually, we live in Bedford Township, MI, but close enough. We, too, are planning on heading to AZ when the school year ends, but our reason is because our daughter has developed terrible allergies to things that are in the climate here but not in AZ, and none of the seven doctors we have taken her to have been able to find a long term solution. The only thing that helps is bringing her out there where her allergies disappear and she feels great. Also, my husband has a bad back and is having a harder and harder time with this nasty cold weather.

You didn't mention what it is that you do in Toledo, but is it something that is available in Phoenix, or have you not started looking out there yet? I am an experienced hospital RN, so I am really hoping to find work in the Phoenix area fairly easily as compared to other fields of employment, plus, my husband works for a national company that can transfer him to Tempe when something opens up there and his boss is working on helping him out with that right now. Hopefully, all the pieces will fall into place and we can move in late June or July before our son starts classes at ASU in the fall.

I can certainly relate to the people in Ohio being negative about the situation. My family is having a really hard time with the idea of us moving away, especially my mom. She got really upset, but I know that we need to do what we need to do to give our daughter a normal life, and she is totally miserable every single day here. I also wonder if some of the negativity comes, at least in small part, from envy. I don't have to tell you how things are in Toledo right now. That's another reason why we want out of here. We own investment property in Toledo and we can't keep up with the rapidly increasing costs of owning property in Toledo. Our operating expenses in terms of taxes, utilities, etc. have gone up 50% in five years, and we can't raise the rent to accommodate that. It's a no-win situation for us, and the City of Toledo is terrible to try to work with.

I agree that you should have at least one good job lined up before moving, but other than that, I can't really offer any advice, except to say that I am in the same boat, I have no regrets, and I can't wait to go! Good luck to you and your husband, and if you think you will be happy in AZ, don't let others' negativity bring you down. Who knows? Maybe they will come out to visit you, fall in love with the area, and join you! : )

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

17,851 posts, read 40,508,038 times
Moving without a large financial cushion or at least one of you having a good job is not a good idea.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,579,882 times
Wow didn't realize there were that many Toledoans moving to Phoenix. I'll be in good company once I get there. Go Mud Hens!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,366 times
Wow, quick replies and lots of Toledoans!

I guess a little more on our situation: We do have some money saved. We're not rolling in dough, but I don't see it lasting for months on end (which it sounds like it could take that long). This is part of the reason we decided I would stay behind momentarily in Ohio and keep my job. I currently work as a retail manager but I also do freelance photography and editing. I'm more of an arts person, I guess.

My husband is going to run ahead and stay with his brother and hit the pavement hard to find jobs. The field of work that he is in now he wants out of. He got certified in teaching and wants to try to pursue that but can also do IT work if he needed.

We've already started submitting resumes from Ohio but it's hard to actually get a job when you're thousands of miles away. We're just hoping that once he gets there he actually can have better luck.

We do love Phoenix and we have had a lot of resistance from family (mostly mine) on going, which obviously makes us doubt our decisions more, but we're just hoping this all works out.

It sounds like many people have been in similar situations and made it through okay. I just hope we end up the same.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,320,797 times
People who made it through okay did so when there were actually jobs and growth in abundance. Phoenix has stagnated since most of the economy was based in home construction and real estate. The only good thing to come out of this is affordability, but who can afford a house right now when you don't have a job?

When your state's biggest employer is Wal-Mart, you've got serious problems.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM

652 posts, read 2,579,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post

When your state's biggest employer is Wal-Mart, you've got serious problems.
I believe Wal-Mart is the biggest employer in the nation so I don't think that is unique to Arizona. I am not however disagreeing with you, I personally despise "big-box" stores and in particular Wal-Mart because of their environmental, human rights, and employment records.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 197,126 times
MrsMarffles,

As a metro Detroit native, who moved to AZ a some years ago, I think I can offer some advice, even though you're from Ohio...jk.

First things first. I should tell my family and I are moving back to Michigan. I will be there in two weeks. Even though the valley lost it's luster for me, some people stay here for good. Different strokes for different folks.

I understand about family not wanting you to move. We are living in uncertain times and it is only natural for family to caution you. However, you have to do what's right for YOU! I faced some resistance from my parents when I told them I was moving back to Detroit, but after I found a job and explained the situation as it pertains to my family, they understood.

I would also caution you against moving with no job. At least one job would be wiseto have lined up. The economy is doing a number on AZ as well as the rest of the country. Also, the situation with the illegals here doesn't help. There are jobs to be had, but you have to have the right skillset. Also, please know that the job culture is very different here. If you are a union worker in Ohio, it will be a big change for you here. While there are some unions, this is a right to work state. If you don't know what that is, look it up because it makes a difference. Also, it has been my experience that there is a difference here in terms of health care. While I have always had benefits here, they have never covered as much as when I used to work in Michigan and they don't cover as much as I will be getting with my new job there as well. Also, just my opinion, the doctors are better in the midwest. Not sure why, but that's my esitmation.

Another thing, if you have lived in the midwest you whole life, you will most likely become homesick at some point. Interestingly, for me it didn't happen for about 4 years. Initially, I liked the change but over time, the desert wore on me. I can't stand being cooped up inside in the summer. Call me crazy, but when my kids are on summer vacation, we should be outside enjoying the weather. The heat for me is unbearable for about 5 months. I will admit that winter here is very nice. It reminds me alot of spring back home. Anothere thing I miss is the greenery and water. Trees and water are abundant in Ohio and Michigan, where as they are not here. Arizonans, please do not take that offensively. I do not mean it as a knock on you, it's just true. I know Roosevelt lake is nearby, but where I come from, we have lakes everywhere and with excellent beaches, not rocky ones. I'm sorry, but trees here are glorified bushes for the most part. No large shade trees for summer relief.

Again, that's just my 2 cents and take it for what it's worth. Initially we enjoyed it here, but over time, home just kept calling. We went back to Michigan at least once a year on vacation and each time we went, we wanted to stay more and more. Finally, it became just too much.

Oh, one more thing. I think you said you don't have any children yet, but if you do, just know that overall, the schools are better in the midwest. There are some good ones here, but overall it lacks. There is also a very different parenting philosophy here that just boggles my mind, but I won't get into that. Hope that helped a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>