Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,475,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Catalytic convertors being stolen from vehicles at Park & Rides:
catalytic converter being stolen at park & rides in Phoenix AZ - Google Search
From the ABC 15 report: "It's not a big number compared with other parking areas."

A security problem at Metro Light Rail parking lots? - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com (http://tinyurl.com/csjk9a - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
If you read the articles you'll see that about an average of 150 catalytic convertors are stolen from Park and Rides annually. The most popular vevicles are high profile Jeeps and Toyotas.
I would say that's a substantial amount to be concerned about. Especially if you're a victim.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM

652 posts, read 2,715,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
In looking at the Suns' schedule for this season, I don't see any games with a tip-off that late; the game on the 12th is scheduled to start at 7:30 PM: SUNS: 2008-09 SUNS SCHEDULE
Thanks, I forgot that Arizona was 3 hours behind, I thought it was 2. I was calculating it using eastern time. (I'm flying in from Ohio, go Cavs! :-p )

Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Right NOW, AZ is two hours behind eastern time. As soon as DST starts, which is this Sunday, March 8, then it will be 3 hours behind, as we don't observe DST.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,475,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If you read the articles you'll see that about an average of 150 catalytic convertors are stolen from Park and Rides annually. The most popular vevicles are high profile Jeeps and Toyotas.
I would say that's a substantial amount to be concerned about. Especially if you're a victim.
Well, the light rail park-and-rides have been open for only two months, so we don't have annual data yet. Any annual data would have to come from bus park-and-rides or rail park-and-rides in other cities, and may not necessarily carry over to Phoenix light rail facilities.

My main point, one reinforced by the quote from ABC 15, is that theft is a risk everywhere. I recently spoke to someone whose catalytic converter was stolen while his car was parked in the lot of the apartment complex where he lives. Vehicle theft happens in mall lots, on residential streets, and at the workplace. The risk of theft exists at light rail park-and-rides, but there's no evidence that it's any higher than in other evironments.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
Not gonna argue with you. My point was that you need to be aware that catalytic convertors are being stolen at park & rides. I didn't mention the new light rail, but you know as well as I that there are park and rides near them.
ABC-15 is not the only news outlet. The Phoenix Police Dept in one of the reports I read supplied the story and figures. The ABC 15 story interviewed the lady at the light rail at Spectrum Mall's Park & Ride who had her convertor stolen along with 8 others according to the police. Tempe police report dozens taken at their end from the Park & Rides near the University.
Is it a bad thing to make people aware of something that could possibly affect them.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 AM

652 posts, read 2,715,916 times
I'll be driving an old land rover that is primarily used for off-road safaris. I don't think there is a huge market for its catalytic converter but thanks for the heads up.

Anyway, I couldn't imagine the risk of a cat being stolen is any higher in a park & ride lot than it is in a parking lot near the arena.

Last edited by nickw252; 03-05-2009 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area