U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM

16 posts, read 47,667 times

Advertisements

Hey there! My husband and are leaving Arkansas tomorrow to spend a few days in the Phoenix area. We are going to be going to some spring training games, but are looking for a few other things to do as well. Suggestions? We love the outdoors and would like to do a hike our ATV tour or something like that maybe? Also...shopping, dining, etc? any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM

116 posts, read 344,130 times
which areas will you be at? what time of day are you seeking to get the extra curricular things in?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,117,340 times
For shopping you might want to try the Scottsdale Fashion Square mall. They also have many very good restaurants in the downtown Scottsdale area. For hiking, look into Piestewa Peak.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 47,667 times
We will be staying in central Phoenix but are fine with driving anywhere in the area. We are looking for things to do primarily in the afternoon and evening. I think we'll definitely check out Scottsdale, and piestewa Peak sounds cool too!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,814,790 times
How about a horse back ride? There are quite a few stables around.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM

9,092 posts, read 17,815,490 times
what spring training sites are you going to? If you are heading to surprise/goodyear/glendale you could do some hiking at either Estrella or White Tanks regional mountain parks. They're county run and cost $6 a car to get into, but have some nice trails.

It's also fun to drive all the way down central avenue and up south mountain (free admission). The lookout is pretty neat as you can see the bulk of the city and there are some trails around there.

Definitely check out old town scottsdale for either lunch or dinner. Eat outside. There is an italian place in old town that has some street side tables that is great for lunch. Old town tortilla factory has a nice dinner outside. Closer to paradise valley Lons @ the hermosa is incredible (a good romantic spot). Chelsea's Kitchen has pretty good food (if a bit overpriced), however their patio is a really fun scene. May be worth hiting for just drinks.

If you are staying in central phoenix, treat yourself to Matts Big Breakfast one morning as well.

If you are heading to the westside in downtown Glendale it can be fun to swing by Cerretas Candy Factory and walk around the historic district with the antique shops. Also, Haus Murphy, has kind of an alley type place. A nice spot to grab a german beer or a glass of reisling and just sit outside and relax.

Have fun!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM

71 posts, read 309,953 times
This weekend in downtown Phoenix there is the monthly "artwalk"...probalby 70 or so galerys having EVERY type of art imagineable...you'll see some "interresting" people too.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM

831 posts, read 2,176,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
How about a horse back ride? There are quite a few stables around.
can you recommend one? I've been wanting to go horseback riding since I've moved out here. I live in Central PHX anything near by, and what do they generally charge?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,814,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
can you recommend one? I've been wanting to go horseback riding since I've moved out here. I live in Central PHX anything near by, and what do they generally charge?
If you're in central Phoenix, I'd try South Mountain Stables or Ponderosa. I've always wanted to take their evening ride to T-Bones Steakhouse. When I rode there, we saw some petrographs...pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area