Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM

78 posts, read 270,074 times

Advertisements

I had ann odd conversation with my brother last night and I wanted to share it and hear stories from other sheltered midwesterners who made the big move out west.
I recently moved to the valley from Green Bay WI and my brother moved to California from there a few years ago so he could appreciate some of the things I was dumbfounded by when I got here:

1.) There is not one single grocery store I recognize here. I was chastized by my coworkers for not knowing what Safeway or Costco was.
2.) You can have Guacamole added to anything in restaurants here.
3.)You can buy tabasco sauce at the convience store!
4.)There are more lanes on one side of the 101 than there are in the entire highway system where I come from.
5.)What the hell is Carl's Junior!? and why does Hardees let them use their logo? But again I forgive them because they'll put Guacamole on my cheeseburger. MMMmmmmmm.
6.)Cities can charge there own taxes?
7.)How long will I be awed by, palm trees, huge cactus's and olives on the sidewalk?
8.)How long will I obsesively check the bed sheets, towels, toilet, couch cushions etc. for scorpions?
9.)Everywhere I look there are mountains!
10.)The Garmin lady is my new best friend.
11.)What the hell is In N Out?
12.) How is it that the hottest city in America doesn't have a single waterpark that is even close to as cool as Wisconsin Dell's Noah's Ark.
13.)WOW Cheese is really expensive here!
14.)What? only one aisle of beer selection?
15.) Ahhh sun..
16.)I hate Iowa..... and Kansas.... and Oklahoma...... and northern Texas. you know what basically everything between Wisconsin and New Mexico.... YAWN.
17.)You can get a a speeding ticket from a camera?
18.)Why does everyone from Orange County want to tell me they're from Orange County?
19.) Everyone here is from somewhere else. I still haven't met an AZ Native. Maybe they live in those creepy houses out in the desert?
20.)People here have cool cars!

Any other sheltered midwesterners want to add to the list? Share your experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Very amusing post. I'm originally from Boston....so I can agree with a lot of what you said. My main problem when I moved here was pronunciation of words. I still have a hard time with saguaro. The best one was when I lived here for a little while and moved to an apartment on "Cholla" St. For some reason at work people kept asking me what my address was and smirking or laughing out loud. Well of course I was saying I lived on "Chola" but finally someone explained to me about the double "L" and that you pronounce it like a "Y" so I actually lived on "Choya".

Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Very amusing post. I'm originally from Boston....so I can agree with a lot of what you said. My main problem when I moved here was pronunciation of words. I still have a hard time with saguaro. The best one was when I lived here for a little while and moved to an apartment on "Cholla" St. For some reason at work people kept asking me what my address was and smirking or laughing out loud. Well of course I was saying I lived on "Chola" but finally someone explained to me about the double "L" and that you pronounce it like a "Y" so I actually lived on "Choya".
When you have lived here long enough (you will get something in the mail) you earn the privilege of deliberately anglicizing words like saguaro to the mid-western "say-jew-arrow". People can tell from your browned and dessicated appearance that you know better.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:06 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Lol, love your post. I lived in Az for 12 years and have visited WI a couple of times, so in a way, can definately relate to that. But if you see the prices here in Calif, youd say 'yikes!' too....
Only thing different, is Ive been to visit in the midwest (WI, OK, ILL, IND, TX) and loved it.
PS: I STILL call it 'sa-gurr-o' or 'cho-lla'.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM

I finally decided to check out In-N-Out today after recieving a cryptic text message that said. "Go to In-N-Out and order a 4 by 4 animal style, you won't regret it!"
OMG! the cashier actually said "a 4 by 4 are you sure? That's quite an endevour" I wish my mysterious tipster would have warned me to order it to go. It was a bit embarrasing trying to feed on that monster in front of a restaurant packed with people.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,132 times
awf82, I read your post and just laughed b/c you were right on. I'm originally from NE, probably one that you dislike, and I had so many of the same experiences. I never knew people could be so obsessed with guacamole. I have named my Garmin Judy b/c for the longest time I needed it to find my way anywhere. I also freaked out about the scorpions in my bed, clothes or pretty much anywhere. Anyways...I share your same thoughts.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik08 View Post
I have named my Garmin Judy b/c for the longest time I needed it to find my way anywhere.
That's so funny because we named ours Gerty a while ago. lol

Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 AM

216 posts, read 589,856 times
13.)WOW Cheese is really expensive here!

Any other sheltered midwesterners want to add to the list? Share your experiences!

I'm from Wisconsin...a Milwaukee suburb. I don't feel I was at all sheltered being from WI and being here has not changed that opinion. Could it be the "Green Bay" part of the equation rather than the WI part? It is a small town after all. Lovely but small. (GO PACK!) Anyway...you had a fun post!

I also was shocked by the cheese price...and YIKES, the butter, too! We won't even mention sausage or bratwurst! LOL!

Good luck on your move from Scottsdale to Chandler! Moving for any particular reason?

Always good to hear from a fellow Wisconsinite!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 AM

216 posts, read 589,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awf82 View Post
I finally decided to check out In-N-Out today after recieving a cryptic text message that said. "Go to In-N-Out and order a 4 by 4 animal style, you won't regret it!"
OMG! the cashier actually said "a 4 by 4 are you sure? That's quite an endevour" I wish my mysterious tipster would have warned me to order it to go. It was a bit embarrasing trying to feed on that monster in front of a restaurant packed with people.
  • Tell me about the 4 by 4!! Is it safe to assume it had 4 patties? LOL!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik08 View Post
I never knew people could be so obsessed with guacamole.
Avocados are truly addictive. Once you get started with them it is only a matter of time before you are slicing one to put on your Corn Flakes in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: