U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 AM

461 posts, read 1,363,725 times

Advertisements

I just thought it might be helpful to post my impressions on the apartment communities I looked at while searching for housing in north Scottsdale. My husband and I looked at 5 properties. We don't have children, so I can't include school information, but we did drive around the area of each to see what is close by. We chose these properties based on location, apartment ratings score and things I read on city-data

Camden San Paloma- We were extremely impressed with this property. It is right next door to Scottsdale Meadows. They had an amazing pool, the clubhouse was great, the fitness center was very well equiped. The things we didn't like are the add on fees (they require cable- we are not TV people, they also have a valet trash program where they collect your garbage daily and it costs about $40 a month) and hidden costs. this was our #2 pick anyway. There are a lot of stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Frank's on Shea- This is the community we chose. Very well maintained and by far our favorite floor plan (master bedroom on opposite side of condo from the other bedrooms). It has everything we wanted, in unit laundry, walk in closets, fireplace, garage available, fitness center, pool. It also has a nice clubhouse with a pool table and a mini movie theatre (we are big movie buffs!). The management is fantastic and really willing to work with you (we had to hold the condo for a few days until we knew for sure about the job) and the fees were modest ($35 application fee, they don't charge double for married couples) and there were no administration fees. They were also doing 1 month free rent and they pro-rated it for the year. The location is fantastic with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. It's also close to work

Equity properties:
We decided not to go with an equity property, despite their programs to help you earn equity for buying a home. We didn't like that they require you to carry renters insurance (we just feel like it should be a choice) and we were not very happy with all the hidden costs (paperwork fees, etc) and add on fees.

Scottsdale Meadows- This was the least impressive apartment we looked at. It was still very nice. The pool and fitness center were small and nothing special. The management was very nice and knew a lot of the residents by name. Really great location, lots of shopping etc really close by.
San Marcos- This community is very attractive, but we were unimpressed with their sales staff. The price quoted to me over the phone was a couple hundred dollars less than what they told us while we were there. They really pushed the casita, saying it's like a little house free standing, but when we looked at it it is attached to another casita, so basically it's just an apartment with nobody upstairs. They called us several times after even though we told them no thank you. We thought we could do better with the location, there was not a lot close by.
Morningside- We were initially very impressed with this property, they have by far the highest score on apartment ratings and the staff was very helpful (they even came in special to show us the property since we were in from Ca). BUT when we got there, they didn't have a 3 bedroom unit, but offered to show us a 1 bedroom, even though we stressed that we NEED 3 bedrooms. Then the guy tried to sell us a 3 bedroom in another community (not in a location we were interested in and bad ratings), he also called to push the other community a couple days later. We didn't like the location, you have to make a U turn to get into the community and it doesn't have a lot close by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM

216 posts, read 538,948 times
[quote=Katimae;7788543]I just thought it might be helpful to post my impressions on the apartment communities I looked at while searching for housing in north Scottsdale. My husband and I looked at 5 properties. We don't have children, so I can't include school information, but we did drive around the area of each to see what is close by. We chose these properties based on location, apartment ratings score and things I read on city-data

Frank's on Shea- This is the community we chose. Very well maintained and by far our favorite floor plan (master bedroom on opposite side of condo from the other bedrooms). It has everything we wanted, in unit laundry, walk in closets, fireplace, garage available, fitness center, pool. It also has a nice clubhouse with a pool table and a mini movie theatre (we are big movie buffs!). The management is fantastic and really willing to work with you (we had to hold the condo for a few days until we knew for sure about the job) and the fees were modest ($35 application fee, they don't charge double for married couples) and there were no administration fees. They were also doing 1 month free rent and they pro-rated it for the year. The location is fantastic with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. It's also close to work

Equity properties:
We decided not to go with an equity property, despite their programs to help you earn equity for buying a home. We didn't like that they require you to carry renters insurance (we just feel like it should be a choice) and we were not very happy with all the hidden costs (paperwork fees, etc) and add on fees.

(cropped)

I'm glad you found something during your search! I thought Frank's was strictly an apartment conversion and you had to buy a condo to live there. Regardless, you will love the location!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 AM

930 posts, read 2,240,005 times
I think you may have missed some far superior complexes like the Legend and Tradition in Kierland. Franks on Shea is very small and poorly located right next to Shea Blvd which is extremely noisy. I lived there once. Plan to hear motorcycles and trucks at all hours of the night. And yes it was converted from apartment to condo sales a couple of years ago, then values plummeted and the location probably killed them as well, and they are now renting out the condos they could not sell and calling them apartments. So I would also be concerned about getting any kind of choice location in there as the better ones sold long ago. Having lived here for 16 years, that would have been about my last choice.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm glad you found something during your search! I thought Frank's was strictly an apartment conversion and you had to buy a condo to live there. Regardless, you will love the location![/quote]

Thank you! We are really happy with the location, especially since it's less than 5 miles from work! I believe that we are renting a condo that someone owns as a investment property.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I think you may have missed some far superior complexes like the Legend and Tradition in Kierland. Franks on Shea is very small and poorly located right next to Shea Blvd which is extremely noisy. I lived there once. Plan to hear motorcycles and trucks at all hours of the night. And yes it was converted from apartment to condo sales a couple of years ago, then values plummeted and the location probably killed them as well, and they are now renting out the condos they could not sell and calling them apartments. So I would also be concerned about getting any kind of choice location in there as the better ones sold long ago. Having lived here for 16 years, that would have been about my last choice.
Thanks for your opinion. I actually was not impressed with the reviews on the communities you mentioned. I also really wanted to stay as close as possible to work. I'm not concerned about traffic noise, I'm a city girl and it will probably make me feel more at home. Right now I live between a main street and the train tracks.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,805,695 times
I actually was not impressed with the reviews on the communities you mentioned.

I would caution anyone to just put a grain of salt to any "reviews" you read, especially on those "anonymous" rating sites and online apartment sites. People write when they want to complain. And you only get one side of the story. "I was ONLY 19 days late paying my rent and my pet destroyed the carpeting" becomes "Those jerks had the nerve to charge me a late fee and make me pay to replace the carpeting!". Kierland is an awesome neighborhood. I live right up the street.

That said, glad you enjoy where you decided on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area