Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 26,739 times

Advertisements

I am traveling from Phoenix to Seattle this June. I will be hauling a 31' travel trailer, so I would like to get any suggestions on the best routes to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I guess interstates would be best, so try I-10 west to I-210 in the LA area (to avoid downtown) to I-5 north to Seattle

Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM

96 posts, read 532,568 times
1) Phoenix - Flagstaff - Kingman - Vegas - Reno - Tahoe - Chico - Redding - Medford - Eugene - Portland - Seattle

2) Same as 1 Phoenix to Reno...then Winnemucca - Boise - Le Grande OR, - Yakima, WA - Seattle

Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I currently live in Oregon and I also own an RV and I've made the trip several times. Honestly, the best route in my opinion is straight down I-10 towards Southern California. To avoid traffic, I'd cut over to Lancaster and then over to I-5. The I-5 will take you the 1200 miles to downtown Seattle. This isn't the shortest or most scenic route but if you're towing a big trailer, it would probably be the safest and definately the quickest. The other routes go thru some beautiful be very desolate country. Particularly in eastern Oregon and Washington, not to mention some of the roads are very twisty in many places.
I-5 is a straight shot and the only hilly and twisty roads you would encounter would be just north of Redding going past Lake Shasta and at the Sikyous mountain range at the Oregon border. Lots of towns along the way if you had any problems.
If you are making this trip for fun and your rig is in good shape, then yes, I would suggest the 2nd route that ScoutAZ mentioned. There wouldn't be any snow at that time of the year and it would be a great trip if you aren't in a hurry. You'll go thru some beautiful country for sure.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
As someone else already said: I-10 all the way out to the 210 freeway in San Bernardino (it begins as a California state freeway and becomes an Interstate freeway once it merges with the 57 in Glendora). The 210 bypasses all the traffic heading into Downtown LA and takes you through the northeastern suburbs of Los Angeles, which are picturesque with the mountains (providing the air is clear). The 210 runs into I-5 in Santa Clarita.

The drive north can get rough going through the Grapevine north of Santa Clarita, and then becomes downright boring until you get closer to Sacramento. You'll run directly into city traffic in Sacramento and Portland since the 5 goes through both cities, but north of Sacramento, the drive becomes gorgeous once the Sierras and eventually Mt. Shasta come into view.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 51,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I currently live in Oregon and I also own an RV and I've made the trip several times. Honestly, the best route in my opinion is straight down I-10 towards Southern California. To avoid traffic, I'd cut over to Lancaster and then over to I-5. The I-5 will take you the 1200 miles to downtown Seattle. This isn't the shortest or most scenic route but if you're towing a big trailer, it would probably be the safest and definately the quickest. The other routes go thru some beautiful be very desolate country. Particularly in eastern Oregon and Washington, not to mention some of the roads are very twisty in many places.
I-5 is a straight shot and the only hilly and twisty roads you would encounter would be just north of Redding going past Lake Shasta and at the Sikyous mountain range at the Oregon border. Lots of towns along the way if you had any problems.
If you are making this trip for fun and your rig is in good shape, then yes, I would suggest the 2nd route that ScoutAZ mentioned. There wouldn't be any snow at that time of the year and it would be a great trip if you aren't in a hurry. You'll go thru some beautiful country for sure.
Is this your recommendation for winter travel as well? I am traveling from Seattle to Phoenix and will be leaving next week. I can either go south to CA or the Boise route. I want as few snowy passes as possible. THanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 51,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
As someone else already said: I-10 all the way out to the 210 freeway in San Bernardino (it begins as a California state freeway and becomes an Interstate freeway once it merges with the 57 in Glendora). The 210 bypasses all the traffic heading into Downtown LA and takes you through the northeastern suburbs of Los Angeles, which are picturesque with the mountains (providing the air is clear). The 210 runs into I-5 in Santa Clarita.

The drive north can get rough going through the Grapevine north of Santa Clarita, and then becomes downright boring until you get closer to Sacramento. You'll run directly into city traffic in Sacramento and Portland since the 5 goes through both cities, but north of Sacramento, the drive becomes gorgeous once the Sierras and eventually Mt. Shasta come into view.
Would this still be your recommendation for winter travel? I am heading to Phoenix from SEattle next weekend and want to travel as easily and safely as possible. THanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Murphy View Post
Is this your recommendation for winter travel as well? I am traveling from Seattle to Phoenix and will be leaving next week. I can either go south to CA or the Boise route. I want as few snowy passes as possible. THanks!
Definately the California route this time of year. Going the Boise route would get you LOTS of snow in the passes. Go straight down I-5. The only passes with snow will be at the Oregon border and perhaps at Mt. Shasta. Other than that, it should be clear sailing.
The weather forecast for the next few days looks pretty good so I would bet the roads will be clear all the way down.
If you have a little extra time and would like to see some great scenery with almost no chance at all of snow, then go I-5 to Portland or Salem, take one of the Highways east to the coast, and take Highway 101 (Pacific Coast Hwy) down to Southern California. It even goes thru the California Redwoods. Absolutely beautiful but it will add a few hours to your trip for sure.
When I make the drive, I usually take the 101 thru the redwoods and then cut over to I-5 and then all the way down to the 10 freeway and over to Phoenix. It makes for a very comfortable and usually snow free drive. As a matter of fact, I'm making the trip at Christmas time.
If you have any questions, just PM me. I'd be happy to help.

Good luck.

Last edited by maverick974; 11-27-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Definately the California route this time of year. Going the Boise route would get you LOTS of snow in the passes. Go straight down I-5. The only passes with snow will be at the Oregon border and perhaps at Mt. Shasta. Other than that, it should be clear sailing.
The weather forecast for the next few days looks pretty good so I would bet the roads will be clear all the way down.
If you have a little extra time and would like to see some great scenery with almost no chance at all of snow, then go I-5 to Portland or Salem, take one of the Highways east to the coast, and take Highway 101 (Pacific Coast Hwy) down to Southern California. It even goes thru the California Redwoods. Absolutely beautiful but it will add a few hours to your trip for sure.
When I make the drive, I usually take the 101 thru the redwoods and then cut over to I-5 and then all the way down to the 10 freeway and over to Phoenix. It makes for a very comfortable and usually snow free drive. As a matter of fact, I'm making the trip at Christmas time.
If you have any questions, just PM me. I'd be happy to help.

Good luck.
Whoops! I need to correct this. I should have said "take one of the highways WEST to the coast.......

My bad....

Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Quote:
Whoops! I need to correct this. I should have said "take one of the highways WEST to the coast.......

My bad....
maverick974
Is Jan, Feb require snow chains when passing Mt. Shasta area between Or & Ca border ? How about road condition from Oregon coast 101 down south to CA at same time frame ?
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area